Smilely HELL bug in a recent update.

Options
It appears once you start a smiley with a colon you get a popup with some text options, i.e. : smile : etc., but without the spaces. The issue is the pop up does not disappear. You can hit ESC to make it disappear, but once you start typing again it pops up and follows your text, sometimes covering what you are typing. This is VERY annoying. I only noticed this in the past few days on different browsers. I figure it must have been an update.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    Maybe that's why I've dogmatically stuck with ASCII smilies ;- )

(or maybe not... but I don't like the danged emoticons, full stop).

Sorry for the thread-carp/hijack!
    Let Ken know about the bug & he'll probably be able to 'escalate' it to the Vanilla folks.

Meanwhile, as the best boss I ever had is fond of saying:

Keep smiling.

:- )
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Options
    I usually stick with ASCII too, but often start with a colon. Its triggered off a colon so you don't even have to be intending to start a smiley. I'll send a PM to Ken.
  • littlewoodboats
    littlewoodboats Posts: 823
    edited May 2016
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Meanwhile, as the best boss I ever had is fond of saying:

Keep smiling.

:- )

You worked Bob Harraghy too? He used to say the same thing. One of the most upbeat places I ever worked.

I have noticed the same problems with the emoticons when using my android os phone. There is a thumbs down hovering as I type this and have no idea how it got there or how to make it go away.

I had to post this comment with two unwanted thumbs down emojies and come back to edit them out.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ... actually I realized after I posted earlier that I, too, am getting those pop-up dealies that don't want to go away. Something's amiss for sure.

No, my "keep smiling" boss was the head of biotech process development at a place I worked (for a long time) in MA. A man who had (and still has) an unerring sense that there is always a path forward, no matter what the problem and he has the faith and confidence in his staff to find it and deliver the goods... and he had his folks' backs whenever we needed help (fiscal, resource, or political).