Question for you Pioneer folks.

Options
oldrocker
oldrocker Posts: 2,590
The little Denon system for my daughter has to go.

I'm looking at 2 used Pioneer's.
VXS-55TXI & a VSX-90TXV.

She likes movies, games and plugging her phone in for her music.
She's quite simple by way of gear. But getting better... B)

Anyone have/had either one of these receivers?
Being a strictly 2 channel guy, I'm mostly concerned about any problems they might be prone to with the whole surround thing.

THANKS.

Comments

• maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Options
    I've owned a few Pioneer AVR's but not those models in particular.

Not sure what you mean by problems with the surrounds. Do you mean things breaking or settings being off?

They should be just fine in terms of quality. They will be as reliable as any other piece of audio equipment.

Settings... a bit of a pain but depends on what she will be using it more for. Compared to a dedicated 2 channel system, it's a bit more of a headache. But once setup should be pretty good especially if you get a universal remote.

If she isn't too technical, then you may someday find her using 7 channel music mode for listening to music instead of "Stereo" or "Direct" modes. She may even wish to argue with you that 7 channel music listening sounds better. So although an AVR will make for a more universal system, it has to be setup and used properly. For this reason, some prefer something that has HT bypass system so the AVR doesn't mess up music.