Guitar players , Summer Nights by Van Halen

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,056
What's up all?
Well I'm back in guitar lessons playing now Classical style guitar scales and classical style teaching on a Electric. My new teacher is a classical guy who is a Metal head so he's perfect for me.
I needed to go back to lessons as I felt I was spinning my wheels with my limited knowledge of all things guitar. I know way more about the gear then actually playing it. I'm a Metal guy so I can get through many things but I can't solo well as I don't have a deep understanding of Scales. I have basically knowledge of them in Major and Minor keys. the Circle of 5th's get me here and there and I don't know all the chords for each key.
So I decided to go back and further my understanding and I was asked if I would like to learn any song I want. My teacher is a huge Van Halen guy and I always had issues trying to play Eddie's music exact so I felt why the hell not learn one of my personal favorite Van Halen songs in Summer Nights.
Well right off the bat , this song is on a hard scale from 1 to 10 is a 11 for me. WOW is this hard to play. Yeah I can play it but sounding like Eddie and getting that Bluesy feel he puts into his writing is very difficult for me. Play the song and then playing it right with feel is what I do or nothing. So I've been limbing along taking it apart and just working on bits at a time. I finally made it to the end minus the Solo but I leaned the Rhythm part under the Solo section.
Anyone else attempt to play Eddie's stuff? Anyone find it extreme difficult to play?
I'm a huge George Lynch Fan and I can play a lot of his music with his feel and attack. I'm NO George Lynch but I feel I do it good enough to feel good about playing a lot of his music. he is also hard to play right but I'm no George or Eddie and except that now.

I'm just having fun and frustrating times learning Van Halen stuff. Buy the way I rocked out 316 almost perfectly. My teacher played it in front of me and I picked up on almost the entire song. It's a finger picking kinda song which is another thing I want to learn , I'm a pick only and sometimes tap kinda player. But now I'm learning finger picking and thats way cool.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments