Toe in for lsim705

Possioning my 705s is a pain as I use a Lazer and nails to open up the holes in the carpet for the spike feet and Alan key to level the speakers..

Last time I did it after upgrading the system was about 2 weeks ago and it's bugging me.

I have them toed in at a perfect V shape pointed to the mlp. Aimed them perfectly center to the middle with a Lazer and it seems too aggreasive of an angle.

Is that the correct way or should they be like pointed to the left and right ear?

Sure I could move them it just takes me a good while to do it and if I already have thrm pointed right I'd rather not move them to just move them back.

Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
Fronts - LSiM 705
Center - LSiM 706c
Sides - LSiM 703
Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
Emotiva stealth DC-1
Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I have found the best positioning for 707s is toed in so that the tweeters point a couple of feet on either side of someone's ears in the center listening position.
  • eclypse
    eclypse Posts: 595
    Ok that makes sense.. I'm probably crushing the sound stage with them pointed to the very center using a Lazer dot.
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    Having my 705's for a year I have tried varying degrees of toe in, from 0 degrees to 30 degrees. I prefer about 5-10 degrees off axel, as I found the more aggressive 30 degrees narrowed the sound stage to much for my liking.
    But a lot depends on your room, when we rearranged / replaced the furniture in the media room, I had to increase the toe in a bit to get the sound I like from from 5 to 10 degrees.

Cheers
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    About a foot outside either ear for mine.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • eclypse
    Thanks guys.. I'll get to re adjusting them later tonight.
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    hochpt21 wrote: »

Agreed, when using that V in aiming the speakers at your listening position, it's been my experience the point where the 2 lines meet should be behind you a couple feet. That way your head is inside the V, unless you have an enormous head of course. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Mike must wear his hair slicked back.
    I disabled signatures.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    I'm offended! LOL
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • footwedge
    footwedge Posts: 475
    tonyb wrote: »
    hochpt21 wrote: »

Agreed, when using that V in aiming the speakers at your listening position, it's been my experience the point where the 2 lines meet should be behind you a couple feet. That way your head is inside the V, unless you have an enormous head of course. ;)

Or dumbo ears. :D
  • eclypse
    Thanks again guys.. re positioned the speakers and my delicious sound is back to normal!

I aimed them both a foot out from center.

Can't wait to spend 3-4 hours listening to them agsin this morning.. as soon as the wife wakes up! Haha
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    What better way to wake up a wife, that's what I say!

Note: Not responsible should you find every screwdriver in your house relocated to storage in each of your 705s' drivers.
    I disabled signatures.
  • eclypse
    msg wrote: »
    What better way to wake up a wife, that's what I say!

Note: Not responsible should you find every screwdriver in your house relocated to storage in each of your 705s' drivers.

No way I'd attempt that! My wife loves her sleep :/
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    eclypse wrote: »
    Can't wait to spend 3-4 hours listening to them agsin this morning.. as soon as the wife wakes up! Haha

The best way to do critical Listening is when the wife is away! ;)

Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • eclypse
    gce wrote: »
    eclypse wrote: »

The best way to do critical Listening is when the wife is away! ;)

I guess I've been lucky so far as she has not complained too much about the loud music hehe. Though yes majority of my listening is when no one is home. ;)
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103