B&K Components Mono Blocks 220M

acmf74
acmf74 Posts: 936
Anyone have any experience with these amps?

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,310
    edited April 2016
    Looks like Reference series, 250wpc, 150A p-p.
    Should be typical B&K smooth, fat and impactful, going by the numbers. Should have balanced inputs, too.

Some say the later models of B&K stuff weren't as good as the early Sonata series stuff, but I couldn't say for sure either way, having only had experience with the Sonata series, the latest Reference series (a 200.2 not listed on this spec sheet) just before they went out of business, and the AVR series. I can say that my experience with both of those has been very pleasing, and similar sounding, but no experience with the middle age gear.

If you've never had B&K, always been curious, like your audio with a bias toward smooth over being extra detailed, and you can get a good deal on them, I say go for it. Bonus if they've got the OE boxes and packing materials. I almost tried a set of Sonata monoblocks a couple of times over the past couple of years, but there was some slightly different build version for a while that doesn't appeal to me. They had sloppy external heat sinks hanging off the on the back instead of internal, along with oddly positioned, unmarked inputs layout, and weird, wimpy looking rack mount handles on the front.

Unless B&K really hosed something up with some bad design change ideas before reverting to something similar to the Sonata builds for their final series, I'd say they'll probably sound similar to the two series' I mentioned, which I enjoy. Sorry, I know this is just speculative and you're looking for a first hand account.

Also, something to consider, coming up on 14-16 years old, they may need some attention?

Maybe @mantis and @tonyb can chime in here. I think they both have broad experience with B&K.

Here's a link to the Previous Amp Specs from B&K if you didn't already have this.
    sy3jauvr697m.png
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I have b&k reference s2 mono blocks, they are smooth as butter, powerful, and very reliable. A friend of mine has the sonota mono blocks and has had them for years, he runs some hard to drive revel F50a towers without a hitch. In my opinion for the money b&k is hard to beat.

The reference s2 does have balanced inputs.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.