"But don't say that the sound is better"

Options
F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,800
I already knew this, but it's nice to see professionals confirm it.

http://www.laweekly.com/music/why-cds-may-actually-sound-better-than-vinyl-5352162
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Yes, CD's have the capability of higher dynamic range but in reality a lot of albums released in the past (whatever it is years) have brickwalled CD's with their LP counterpart actually having more dynamic range.

I'm not 100% one over the other, though. I enjoy LP's, CD's, high res FLAC - doesn't matter to me, the music contained does.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    Options
    Dynamic range was only part of that article.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Options
    Right, lopping off at certain frequencies. This has to be a case by case scenario though, no? I I wonder what the cannon shots on 1812 overture go down to on the LP? You can see the grooves. Over 20kHz is no problem either. The issue arises when an album that should be split across two records is recorded on a single record, is that right?

• HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    Great article. My preference is CD, but I'm starting to go "down the rabbit hole" and get into the vinyl trend. I only have a handful of vinyl so far. A few that were printed (is that the correct term for making a vinyl?) when it was the way; and a few that are of todays music printed. Before I read this article I wondered what the sound difference was going to be like. . Can't wait to try it out for myself.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Pressed

• F1nut
    Options
    Scratched >:)

President of Club Polk

• HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    lions tigers & bears.. . :p
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    Oh my.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,043
    edited April 2016
    Options
    16339299011_5a67b6bdcf_h.jpgDSC_0092 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

'nuff said.

;- )
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    16339299011_5a67b6bdcf_h.jpgDSC_0092 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

'nuff said.

;- )

Hell yeah!!
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,331
    Options
    Mark has a point there Jesse. My only issue with that is limited sources.

Until they optimize both LP's and CD's to optimize the sound on BOTH equally, I will continue to choose which one sounds better to me.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    There is no question about the vs. But people love Vinyl and who cares if it's better or worse. It's a emotional connection to ones past that makes people want it again or still.
    Cd came out sounding like **** and improved over the years to a what it is today which is basically dead. Hardly no one spins CD's anymore.
    I just Installed a $1500.00 Thorn's table just 2 days ago.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    I too am an equal opportunity abuser, I like some pressings of vinyl better than some of my CD's, some of my SACD's better than both of those, and honestly, sometimes, one sounds better with one rig, and not so great on the other rig. The variation in recording & production makes things interesting & frustrating.

I'm on my 4th copy of Kansas - Point of Know Return, and I've yet to find a vinyl copy I'm pleased with (all have been clean and flawless). But it sounds great on CD. I have a gold digital remaster of Genesis Abacab on CD that sounds great, but I like the vinyl better. OTOH, I have a remaster of Duke where the CD is soooo much better than the vinyl version I have.

All you can really say is sometimes it sounds better to me.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    Better versus accurate.

We own hundreds of old records, that even though they were kept in very good to great shape, are still not examples of perfection, but are very enjoyable even with minor flaws.

As far as being more accurate, obviously the original recording did not hold these minor flaws and distortions of sound, so it is less accurate but still fun!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Good article, they pretty much touched on everything of concern between the format and loudness wars.

Like everything though, saying one is better than another is only applicable to each individual. We all have our own preferences. Which is why none of the formats will go away altogether.....well except the 8-track, that was a gimme.

Gave up vinyl long ago, pain in the rear....listening to music shouldn't involve pain. :) I loved R2R, analog sound without the pops and clicks of vinyl.....but those tapes uhg.

Digital is finally able to compete with the cdp and SACD, it's easy and convenient too for our lazy society. Like everything too, it all starts at the beginning, the recording. No matter the format, you can't take a t u r d and turn it into a slice of cheesecake.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Tubes Rule w/ analog or digital.............. :p

Ain't got tubes................ain't got soul!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Pfffft....tubes...dahell?!!
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    Options

I bought the 1812 Telarc version of Discogs, I really did not know there are only a few carts and arms capable of playing this record all the way through.
    Every time I tried to play it no matter which needle I used it always kicked out the needle at the Cannon blasts section.
    Interesting facts about the album on the inside covers..
    Still love my vinyl but I have this album that I will never enjoy due to its requirements.
    q544ua0xfn5w.jpeg
    0y7gohg00n73.jpeg
    su8kmg3bj783.jpeg
    d1tlai8fmcb3.jpeg
    bwktzb3xjq71.jpeg
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Haven't we always known it was about personal preference?

Look at the solid state vs tubes argument. SS outperforms (in a technical fashion) tube equipment, and does so in a more efficent manner, BUT as this article points out, the numbers can be great, but if the audience prefers.........

...and there it is.

We older listeners have grown up accustomed to analog distortions that we found pleasing. Kinda like going to Italy and having spaghetti---and being totally disappointed because you're used to your American Mom's spaghetti---authentic or not.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • mopar paul
    mopar paul Posts: 277
    Options
    That is a very good and informative article, thanks for the link.

I enjoy the hunt of vinyl, enjoy it's nostalgia and even how it sounds for the most part.

But- I'm not sinking endless money into a perfect turntable that has a less than perfect media on it. I have about $2500 in my table and that's my limit. Records just have physical limitations that cannot be ignored. Nonetheless I'll keep buying and cleaning!

I usually can get records for $2 and if I like the lp enough, I will try the cd version and keep whichever one sounds the most pleasing to my ear.

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,331
    edited April 2016
    Options
    TonyB wrote:
    Like everything though, saying one is better than another is only applicable to each individual. We all have our own preferences. Which is why none of the formats will go away altogether.....well except the 8-track, that was a gimme.
    Well, I would agree but I don't recall seeing any cassette tapes anymore. In fact, I don't recall seeing players either. Same goes for LaserDisc. I would imagine those formats are gone with the wind by now......although I *could* be wrong on that assumption.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    Options
    Some of the best sounding music (at the time) is when I would record my cd's to my Nakamichi Dragon using premium high bias or metal oxide cassettes. This was in the late 80's early 90's. That Nak was (all Nak's) was superb. Because of the early issues with cd's and cd transfers being a bit harsh, putting it on tape through what ever magic electronics in the Dragon made the music much better.

I wish I still had my Dragon today. It would be very interesting to take the Dragon hooked to an old school cdp, make a recording and compare it to a modern release on modern digital gear.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Haven't we always known it was about personal preference?

Look at the solid state vs tubes argument. SS outperforms (in a technical fashion) tube equipment, and does so in a more efficent manner, BUT as this article points out, the numbers can be great, but if the audience prefers.........

...and there it is.

We older listeners have grown up accustomed to analog distortions that we found pleasing. Kinda like going to Italy and having spaghetti---and being totally disappointed because you're used to your American Mom's spaghetti---authentic or not.

Ohh Steve, don't make me fly out there and smack ya upside the head. lol Pasta in America doesn't hold a candle to pasta in Italy. Preferences or not.....the real deal is still the real deal. ;):)

The article brings up all the old pro's and con's, nothing we haven't trashed about here since day 1. Comes down to preferences, which is why we have such a variety of gear/formats to enjoy music with. Life would be boring in a one size fits all world.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Very interesting read F1
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    Options
    Articles are a great way to convince ones self of an alternate reality. I once read one that said LPs sound better, I think I'll stick with that one for now.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    madmax wrote: »
    Articles are a great way to convince ones self of an alternate reality. I once read one that said LPs sound better, I think I'll stick with that one for now.

I still have LP's and still buy some. I don't have my turntable set up currently but will soon. I do enjoy vinyl at times, but it does take more effort, plus cleaning them.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • PolkMaster1
    PolkMaster1 Posts: 847
    Options
    After hearing 100 CDs that I have on vinyl, I can claim that vinyl sounds better.

When listening to Vinyl, there is more texture in the sound that a CD cannot reproduce. I once had a $3000 CD player which could not reproduce the sound that analog can.

Note that you need to have the right gear in place for great vinyl playback.
    Statistics show that 98% of us will die at some point in our lifetime.

The other 2% will work for WalMart.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    Options
    Its all good stuff! The article could be half way believeable if it were about high res rather than CD...
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • PolkMaster1
    PolkMaster1 Posts: 847
    Options
    I should note that I did not read the article, but I did enjoy reading everyones comments.

I will get to the article later.
    Statistics show that 98% of us will die at some point in our lifetime.

The other 2% will work for WalMart.