This followed me home.

Options
While out getting the Sunday paper, a lady I know where I get my paper from asked me if I was still into older stereo equipment? She told me a story about an elderly gentleman who was moving and had some stuff he wanted to get rid of. As he told me, his kids didn't want any of that "old" looking stuff. Visited for quite a while with the guy and brought this home with a few more items.

Don't know much about the Pioneer SX 950 but seems worth owning at this point for what I paid. He said just take the stuff, I said no, I have to pay something for it, which I did.

A few pics.

nkq9lhzlhycx.jpg

ls9zwcarbesq.jpg

wfwycpuk4iq2.jpg

aifjey6906py.jpg

bifa56yxyq28.jpg
66n64dc2wha0.jpg

rak1t13t1b6u.jpg

It's very clean, has a bit of tape adhesive on the cabinet from where he had the power cord taped to the top. The bass dial needs a quick deox on it. She's been running for about an hour now and seems to be clearing up a bit..

Lights, all buttons function, has the original antenna, cabinet other than the tape residue is in great shape.
Funny part is, that the unit was kind of buried behind a bunch of stuff, all I could see was the pre out jumpers on the back so I knew it had to something worth looking at

Comments

• warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Options
    Wow!!! Lucky you, you must live right...
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited April 2016
    Options
    One of those older Pioneer SX receivers was the first receiver I ever bought with my own money. I want to say I only had the SX650 or somewhere there-a-bouts. Used it daily through high school and never had an issue with it. I do miss it out of nostalgia sometimes, along with my first speakers that I ran off it, Acoustic Research 218V

That one looks to be in very nice shape, congrats and enjoy!
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Nightfall
    Options
    They seem to sell for somewhere between $400 and $500 or so, I'm sure you got a heck of a deal.

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    Thanks,
    Man I'm an idiot, I was starting to work the knobs back and forth as I'm getting ready to full the face plate off and deoxit as much as I can.

The last switch to the right, the muting switch was in the -20dB position and I didn't notice it, it was still running as I flipped that switch and man did she really come alive and wake up. Made my little 5jr's say, well hello there.

Glad I had the volume down. SHEESH.... :o
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    Those receivers were well made.
    I'm guessing it puts out about 30 to 60 watts per channel based on the size of the power supply.
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    It probably sounds GREAT with those 5jr's!
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Face plate was a breeze. I got to get the pots and get them sprayed.
    I think hi fi says 85 wpc.

z9egyhlu19ve.jpg
  • Nightfall
    Options
    What are your plans for it?

• oldrocker
    Options
    Not sure at the moment. Kind of thinking running one my old Akai GX 280D-SS rtr with a set of SDA 2's.???

Found 6 internal fuses so far. I better go find a manual before I get to far.

Bottom plate off.. This thing is remarkably clean. The guy's house had virtually no dust anywhere I noticed..

9bfjl0lhp00i.jpg
    w7w4sgevbbkg.jpg

• oldrocker
    Options
    Never seen this before. Behind the volume dial is the numbers OBA3971.
    Bad picture.
    2nmod6rqoqag.jpg

yeknz2ym7ozs.jpg

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    Indiana is a great place to live! :)

Nice find.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Those receivers were well made.
    I'm guessing it puts out about 30 to 60 watts per channel based on the size of the power supply.

85 a side into 8 ohms. I grew up with my step dad's SX 950 running Infinity Rsb. I was sure it was the best sound you could buy.
    Nice find.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Indiana is a great place to live! :)

Nice find.

Not to bad. Hope you folks up there are doing well. Actually I was suppose to be making some new doors for a shed today and this happened..

FYI, the guy I got this from is an old clock maker. He has one abut 4 feet tall, wood scribe work that is just out of this world. Sadly his eyes are going and he doesn't make them anymore but the best thing about all this is I've made a new friend.
    Really a neat guy..

Deoxit is done, put back together and she's purring some old Queen right now sounding sweet. Might even stretch her legs in a bit. B)
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    oldrocker wrote: »

Not to bad. Hope you folks up there are doing well. Actually I was suppose to be making some new doors for a shed today and this happened..

We're doing well. Finally getting some spring-like sunny weather -- albeit a bit chilly at 51 degrees.

Sounds like you are subject to the same sorts of distractions that I am when I'm a bit reluctant to begin a job that I'm not really too excited about doing. However, my distractions don't lead to the kind of find you had today -- new-to-you receiver and anew friend. :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Great find. I have the SX650 & a SX750 running my garage / patio rig with monitor 10a's . Great set up . I am sure yours will sound great with whatever you match it to. Peace.
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    Options
    You suck sometimes lol....

Glad it went to ya. Make your addiction continue to fester and grow heheheheh
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • starkiller
    starkiller Posts: 2,723
    Options
    Great Pioneer! So, what other pieces of audio goodness did you bring home?? :)
    Computer room Hegeman 1 SpeakersM&K VX-80 subKenwood DP-7010Cambridge Audio CXC Transport Rega DACPrimaLuna Prologue Four AmpAric Audio Tube PreampGarage Jennings Research SquareCustom tube preampCrown XLS-1000Denon DCD-1500II Modded MSB Link DAC
  • oldrocker
    Options

Yah, well you suck more, cause you got that sub that sounds like a 747 taking off..

Everyone doing good over your way?
  • oldrocker
    Options
    starkiller wrote: »
    Great Pioneer! So, what other pieces of audio goodness did you bring home?? :)

He had a set of speakers that have almost identical top cabinets to the SDA series.
    So I'm standing there and all I can see is that top edge thinking, oh man are those what I think they are?? However, it was an old set of optimus speakers. He tried to throw in some vcr's, casstete decks really just low fi stuff that I passed on. There might be an old pioneer tt somewhere he thinks that was purchased when the 950 was bought, he's going to look for it next week.
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Not a real big fan of the orange lights as of yet, maybe when things get darker it will grow on me some. Sure would be nice if she had wattage meters, love how those things bounce.

And yes, I did stretch her legs a bit, hit about 10 o'clock on the dial, she just purred right along with no face lights dimming, at least at what I could see.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    I believe you have to get a model that ends in 80 instead of 50 to get VU meters, and they're quite small meters.

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,449
    Options
    Holy moly, can't think of a better owner for a piece like that.
    I disabled signatures.
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Yeah I know this is the worst place to put her, it's only temporary.

96tokavqezt2.jpg

• oldrocker
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I believe you have to get a model that ends in 80 instead of 50 to get VU meters, and they're quite small meters.

Something will come along..
  • oldrocker
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Holy moly, can't think of a better owner for a piece like that.

Thanks M, she will be pampered...

Oh, a lil AC/DC just hit the airways, time to stretch her legs a tad bit more..hehe..
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    oldrocker wrote: »

Yah, well you suck more, cause you got that sub that sounds like a 747 taking off..

Everyone doing good over your way?

Yeah the usual, the little one is teething so lot a lot of sleep...

And is it bad one 747 isn't enough? I want a f'd aircraft carrier taking off lol
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Very nice score!!
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    I want a f'd aircraft carrier taking off lol

You're a dumbass...... :D:D
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    I want a f'd aircraft carrier taking off lol

You're a dumbass...... :D:D

SO its 99% of 'merica. Its kinda a requirement to be a citizen :smile:
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,043
    Options
    Tried to find a nice blurb on the SX-950 but came up kind of dry.

If you (the OP) needs any docs:
    Hi-res SM: http://www.kallhovde.com/pioneer/sx-950smhires.pdf
    brochure: http://www.kallhovde.com/pioneer/sx-950-b.pdf

The SX-**50 line of Pioneer receivers are certainly cosmetically impressive and sturdily built.

Only one of 'em here -- a re-habbed SX-1050 (FYI & FWIW):

16335232805_ea781758f6_b.jpgSemi-monstrous 1970s soiled state receivers by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Warehouse Sound skipped from the 850 to the 950 in their catalog systems of its time (for whatever reason):

12042232255_a6b39619d4_b.jpgaltec9 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    12042526953_692de9bd3f_b.jpgaltec9001 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

26365989930_d706613a1b_b.jpgbic002 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr