SRS (Signature Reference Series) SDA 2.3 Speakers rehab

Options
l4tzjjro2l0d.jpg

I have a pair of these and they sound great...I've heard they sound better if I rehab them...Question is I have no clue where to start.

Alan

Comments

• Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Might want to check the stickies at the top of this section and start reading. This link will prove useful also.
    http://vr3mods.com/LCSDAUpgrade.php
    In addition... this thread that documents another members transformation might prove useful:
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/171502/2-3tl-rebuild-starts-now#latest

Good luck.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,616
    Options
    those are 2.3TL so look for that speaker and not the 2.3 which was the first version and different
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,945
    Options
    I would start with Tweeters (RDO-198's) Spikes, and a AI-1 (Dreadnought) interconnect cable With Speacon connections...

Phase 2 would be Dynamat, Speaker Rings, BH5..

Phase 3 would be Crossover Rebuild with gimpod's boards, Sonicaps, Mills, Jantzen n Solen inductors..

Or if your pockets allow order it all and do it all at once!!! :p
  • ox1216
    ox1216 Posts: 49
    Options
    where can i find those parts?
  • Gunther16
    Gunther16 Posts: 243
    Options
    All of the above! Found Hurricane Nuts very useful if you follow directions well! I'd start with the tweeter and crossovers.
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,056
    Options
    I would also start with tweeters and XO's. Biggest bang for the buck IMO. The rest of the mods Toolfan suggested are all very worth doing as well.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,480
    Options
    Definitely tweeters first. You can call Polk at 800-377-7655 and order RDO-198-1's. Let Polk know that you are a forum member and you will get them for $48 each. Let us know how much you love them and we can tell you how to spend the rest of your money. Welcome to the forum!
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • ox1216
    Options
    machone wrote: »
    Definitely tweeters first. You can call Polk at 800-377-7655 and order RDO-198-1's. Let Polk know that you are a forum member and you will get them for $48 each. Let us know how much you love them and we can tell you how to spend the rest of your money. Welcome to the forum!

Thank you sir...Calling now!!

• Gunther16
    Options
    Talk to customer service, regular parts people have no knowledge of discounts to forum members
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Alan, I would simply read this thread if you haven't already, Machone does a great job of documenting each step he took.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/171502/2-3tl-rebuild-starts-now/p1

Your efforts will be rewarded!
  • ox1216
    Options
    Alan, I would simply read this thread if you haven't already, Machone does a great job of documenting each step he took.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/171502/2-3tl-rebuild-starts-now/p1

Your efforts will be rewarded!

Thank you
  • JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    Options
    What is in the rest of your system driving the speakers? May be a better place to start spending money unless you are already covered with good gear up front.
    Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    Most of the mechanical mods are very easy. The drop in tweeters, Dynamatting the spkr baskets, if the gaskets are falling apart then use Armflex/Armacell roll tape. Once drivers are pulled to work on as above reseal your cabinets w/ Locktite or Liquid Nails. If Larry's Rings are still happening well worth it if not go w/ Hurricane Nuts. All internals I could not do and sent out to WMD Dave to do While no prices are discussed here he will give you a run down of what you need,how much and how far to you want to take it. At the end also you can update your I/C cable to the ever popular and much better Neutrik/Speakon connectors and get better binding posts also. Listen to me, it sounds like I did all this sh%t before...lol
    It kinda looks like this along the waydl6v8rzh3dad.jpg
    eba5nvzpzj3l.jpg
    ql2nexaf132m.jpg
    npysbjng8d7v.jpg
    r0otk1qy65vb.jpg
    h3rjxjubijg6.jpg
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Gunther16
    Options
    Yo leftwing, Love your music collection - right up my alley!
  • ox1216
    Options
    JPete wrote: »
    What is in the rest of your system driving the speakers? May be a better place to start spending money unless you are already covered with good gear up front.

I'm using an Integra 70.1...saving my money for and outlaw audio amp 7 channel 200 watt
  • ox1216
    Options
    Most of the mechanical mods are very easy. The drop in tweeters, Dynamatting the spkr baskets, if the gaskets are falling apart then use Armflex/Armacell roll tape. Once drivers are pulled to work on as above reseal your cabinets w/ Locktite or Liquid Nails. If Larry's Rings are still happening well worth it if not go w/ Hurricane Nuts. All internals I could not do and sent out to WMD Dave to do While no prices are discussed here he will give you a run down of what you need,how much and how far to you want to take it. At the end also you can update your I/C cable to the ever popular and much better Neutrik/Speakon connectors and get better binding posts also. Listen to me, it sounds like I did all this sh%t before...lol
    It kinda looks like this along the waydl6v8rzh3dad.jpg
    eba5nvzpzj3l.jpg
    ql2nexaf132m.jpg
    npysbjng8d7v.jpg
    r0otk1qy65vb.jpg
    h3rjxjubijg6.jpg

THANKS!!! I'm excited about this!