Apple Watch thoughts?

Options
So my wife comes home from work tonight and says her office manager just got an Apple Watch and my wife was making fun of her at first. Then she talks to her more and starts thinking about it and realizes that it actually might be a good option for her. She is in upper management and has to dress the part, which often means no pockets (like the dinner she's at tonight). So she's thinking if she has the watch on her all the time then she can leave her phone in her purse and still get my texts about the toddler that just stuck her finger up the dogs arse (true story). But would it do what she wants it to do?

Does ur iPhone have to be in the same room as the watch for you to get calls and texts? Or just on the same wifi network? And we work at a large university, with one continuous wifi network blanketing campus. So if she leaves her phone in her office connected to wifi would she get calls and texts across campus? I guess I could test that with my iPad. Does it work the same?

Any other thoughts about the device are welcome, now she's got my thinking too...
Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
Game Room 5.1.4:
Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    The watch connects over either Bluetooth or WiFi. When your phone is in range it uses Bluetooth automatically as it's a better connection and uses less battery on the watch, when out of range it will automatically switch to WiFi. WiFi can be brutal on the battery though, so I wouldn't recommend that as an all day solution.

That being said, I think there are restrictions on public wifi networks and connecting given security concerns, check out this link on the Apple site and see if it helps.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204562

The watch only pairs with an iPhone, not an iPad, also does not pair with Android phones.

Overall I'm very happy with my watch, my main bit of advice is to decide on a platform and stick with it. The Apple watch is essentially worthless with an Android phone, and although some Android watches will work with an iPhone and an app it's all pretty terrible. You can easily mix phones and tablets across brands without losing much functionality, but it doesn't work well with the watches and phones.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    thanks Danny. We both have iphones, ipads, and macbooks, so from that perspective it would make sense. And thanks for the link, I will check it out!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • rooftop59
    Options
    if my wife would ear it id be all over it! Maybe if the band was purple!!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    Options
    Funny story about the dog, and Dan gave you the lowdown on Wifi / Bluetooth so my thoughts on how it works for me is quite simple I love it, do I need a Iwatch no but now that I have it I won't do without it,
    I've had it since October and I wear it every day it won't replace your phone but for notifications for quick little glances at the weather, or a text, or when you are using maps it's great you get a light tap on the wrist pretty cool.
    I think it compliment the iPhone and makes it a better connected experience, typically when I get to the office or get home from I lay down my phone and go about whatever with the watch on, I get a tap on the wrist a quick look at the watch and decide what I want to do either go get the phone or you can make quick a reply to a text, glance at a email even make a quick reply or even answer a phone call from the watch I don't like talking on it so I just tell the person I'm getting my phone and soon as you pick up the phone it transfer perfectly.

Cheers
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    One of my favorite things (and yes I know this is dumb) is that when you're using GPS on your phone and have the watch on it taps you on the wrist when your turn is coming up.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    polk500 wrote: »
    Funny story about the dog, and Dan gave you the lowdown on Wifi / Bluetooth so my thoughts on how it works for me is quite simple I love it, do I need a Iwatch no but now that I have it I won't do without it,
    I've had it since October and I wear it every day it won't replace your phone but for notifications for quick little glances at the weather, or a text, or when you are using maps it's great you get a light tap on the wrist pretty cool.
    I think it compliment the iPhone and makes it a better connected experience, typically when I get to the office or get home from I lay down my phone and go about whatever with the watch on, I get a tap on the wrist a quick look at the watch and decide what I want to do either go get the phone or you can make quick a reply to a text, glance at a email even make a quick reply or even answer a phone call from the watch I don't like talking on it so I just tell the person I'm getting my phone and soon as you pick up the phone it transfer perfectly.

Cheers

I think this is key for my wife. She supervises over 50 employees, has multiple meetings every day, and will often run down the hall without her phone, get caught talking to another employee, and then her office manager comes racing down the hall because she's late for a meeting. Since her calendar is always up to date, she would get meeting notifications. Plus she also tries to be conscientious and not stare at her phone while talking to someone, and its much less rude to glance at your watch than stare at your phone...

Okay thanks guys it looks like I might be on the lookout for a deal if one exists...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • polk500
    edited April 2016
    Options
    56qzumm8jb8f.jpeg

Well to use it for calendar notifications it's perfect a quick glance at your wrist no pulling out your phone.
    And screen shots

Cheers
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Showed that to the wife this morning, she cracked up. But yes, I think I will get her one. I'll wait until she has hers for a bit before I seriously consider one for myself. Besides, I mostly work in isolation and always have pockets on me, so I don't think its a necessity for me...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • polk500
    Options
    If I can make one more recommendation is for her to get the 42mm instead of the 38mm, I don't know why they think a women should have a smaller watch it makes no sense...

Cheers
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    I wear the 38mm watch as the 42mm was just too big for me. I'm on the smaller side for a guy but am not tiny either (I'm 5'8 at 155 pounds), I've met very few ladies that the 42 would fit comfortably on.
  • polk500
    Options
    Well to each their own, In talking to the few women I've met who has an Apple Watch is they like the 42mm, Julia our Senior Billing Manager says she wishes she had when with the 42mm and said when the next model comes out she going with the 42mm. And if you like your 38mm well Rock on...

Maybe we got bigger / more robust Women up North.

Cheers
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    my only problem is i cannot wear more than one watch at a time, otherwise, i'd buy one
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • tat
    tat Posts: 159
    Options
    They remind me of the calculator watch that came out in the late 1970'S to early 1980's. CASIO made most of them I think. There's a great picture of Bob Mitzner wearing one of those EEG specials at a gig with Jaco. The watch cant really do anymore than a calculator either since you need a decent screen if your over age 21.
    When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws are free...
  • rooftop59
    Options
    My wife loves hers! I got her an NIOB off eBay, 38mm in rose gold for around 240 I think. She supervises over 100 people and is in meetings all the time, and of course her power suits don't have any pockets. It's great for her to get texts and calendar notifications in and in between meetings. And she's 38 and can read it just fine!

They won't take over phones or tablets but they are her to stay I think...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    Apple hides all there money in offshore accounts and treats the workers worse than dogs.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    Apple hides all there money in offshore accounts and treats the workers worse than dogs.

269ckcpjq4se.jpg
  • tat
    Options

Ok.

Im not sure about the second part of that...dont they hang out playing frisbee for 2 hour lunches in Birkenstocks there? Maybe that was Google. Efficiency is over-rated; you couldnt pay me to wear an apple watch but hey, Im sure glad evryones not like me lol
  • tat
    Options

269ckcpjq4se.jpg

Actually that is spot on, only his politics are revealed in his choice of the word "hides". They really just keep offshore profits offshore to avoid the highest corporate taxes in the history of mankind.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Okay boys keep it on track.

So anyone gonna get the new one when it comes out? Worth the upgrade?
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1