Dreadnought Transformer

I have been studying the Dreadnought threads and have decided to build one.

I know that there are two Avel Lindberg audio grade transformers that are recommended.
800VA - Y236906 - in stock available from Avel for a little over $100.
1000VA - AV047548 - special order in groups of 10 from Avel for around $250.

I seems to me that if the difference between the two is not that different the easier & cheaper route to take would be to order the 800VA and call it good.

What is your experience and what do you recommend?

Is the juice worth the squeeze?
Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    there is a world of difference between the two. That is why there have been two major groups of folks who have went in here to get the 1000va. Some who had bought the 800 sold them to get the 1000va.

The 800 is good but the 1000 is in a league of its own.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    I have one of each - the 800v/a will do quite nicely until there is another group buy of the 1000v/a, and you could be in for a long wait on that. The 800 is off the shelf, fast and easy for sure.

Either way - it's still a vast improvement over the standard cable, or as I understand it the Polk Ai-1 retail transformer for that matter.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    What exactly is the improvement over the AI-1?
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Open sound stage, bass, clarity, blackness, depth.. It's an overall improvement...

I was going to keep my original Al-1 just because they are rare but knowing I will never use it, I sold it..

The 800 will do just fine, and I'm betting the chance of another group buy will be slim..

I sold my 800 and ended up buying another 1000 a couple years ago, man time flies..
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    If you need a case I have one that has dynamat already installed, it's set up for using binding posts, if you are wanting to build one on a budget and getting the 800 I will make you a sweet deal on this case..
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    What exactly is the improvement over the AI-1?

Lower noise, higher current capacity, and no transformer saturation, which translates to better imaging, stronger and more detailed bass, and improved clarity and detail.

Some technical information can be found in these threads:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/74472/the-ai-1-dreadnought-project-pt-1/p1

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/129829/the-ai-1-dreadnought-project-pt-2-upgrade-to-1000va-transformer/p1

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • pitdogg2
    edited March 2016
    Thanks Ray I was hoping you would chime in.
  • MrBuhl
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    If you need a case I have one that has dynamat already installed, it's set up for using binding posts, if you are wanting to build one on a budget and getting the 800 I will make you a sweet deal on this case..

That there is an offer you can't refuse!

I built my 800v/a on the cheap from a "preowned" Larrycase I got here, it was binding posts setup as well - @helipilotdoug can help you out there. It's pretty easy construction if you pay attention and take your time - many build threads to follow. Easy peazy and the dynamat is done and bought!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Thanks guys.

Thanks Larry. I had planned to use SpeakOns.

I am pretty handy. How much trouble to convert to SpeakOns? Probably end up with a couple of holes I don't need?
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• MrBuhl
    machone wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

Thanks Larry. I had planned to use SpeakOns.

I am pretty handy. How much trouble to convert to SpeakOns? Probably end up with a couple of holes I don't need?

I used binding posts at the box, and SpeakOn's at the speaker ends - works perfect. I'm sure its a matter of drilling and covering holes, but that solution was cheap and easy FWIW.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• pitdogg2
    depending on how close the are you may just need to enlarge a bit.
  • I see a 1000kva Avel on Fleabay for 65 bucks the part number is Y236954 will that work for you?
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• machone
    I believe that is the wrong part number.
    Need AV-047548 for audio grade.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    Well it looks like I found an AV-047548 1000VA transformer including Larry's case set up for SpeakOn's, the SpeakOn connectors, Dynamat and hardware.
    Wow :)
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• pitdogg2
    where did you find it?
  • machone
    One the guys in the last group buy emailed me.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4