Directv Genie.

Options
2»

Comments

• thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    Options
    They still have DirectTV on their website and my system comes up DTV. If AT&T screws them up I will move on, thats life.

SInce AT&T bought them I have received new gear free and just by calling had my bill lowered by $40 for 6 months and 30 for 12 months.

So far so good but thank you!
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Just received 2 genie mini's to replace to older boxes. This box looks very chintzy. Are these boxes worth the effort? I hope they provide a quality picture. Been a customer since 1994.

Thanks for any comments
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    Options
    They seem to work well, love the RF remote control. I have one of the wireless mini's and they seem to work too.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    Only been with them for 2 months, but no issues thus far.
    Have the Genie and 3 minis, they all work fine. I like that I can
    record/watch from any TV box at any time - with 200 hours HD recording available.

I also like that I can watch anything (even things on the DVR) on my phone or tablet, with zero data used.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    I've been a DirecTV customer for quite a few years. When the Genie first came out, I upgraded, but eventually sent the main box and both clients back in favor of standalone boxes. The main box had developed an intolerable lag with the remote (like press a button and wait 20 seconds). Also, I often have sports on the same channel in two adjacent rooms and the delay between genie and client was a couple seconds, which was something I hadn't anticipated. After several calls, they agreed to an exchange. Otherwise, I've always been pleased with their service. I've seen no difference since the AT&T acquisition, other than a $10/mo credit, since I also have AT&T for wireless.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    There is a new Genie out and the clients are much improved. They upgraded me for free.. Been with directv since 94? customer service is awesome
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    There is a new Genie out and the clients are much improved. They upgraded me for free.. Been with directv since 94? customer service is awesome
    Good to hear. Actually, I think I heard that from someone else, too. There were apparently lots of problems with the original. They had to improve it.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    Yeah I signed up in 1994 after getting screwed by cable. They offer great customer support. The lag issue lately is the biggest complaint of all with the older boxes. That 30 seconds to change stations. I will hook these up and give it a go. Thanks for the input.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    So Tuesday I called Directv to complain about a ground loop hum in my recently configured HT thread, I explained to the US based CS Rep what it was, and that I didn't think my dish was properly grounded. She scheduled a tech to come out for today and he was out this morning. I got a call last nite telling me that the tech would be out between 8 and 9 this AM and at 07:15 I got an automated call telling me he was on his way to my home. He arrived at 07:50. He inspected my dish and out door cabling from the dish to the the junction and he said "yup not grounded" he went to the truck got 2 spools of cable. 1 had a ground wire, 1 was just coax. He ran a new grounded cable from the dish to my meter box and a return to the cable junction mad all the connections and grounded to a ground lug at the meter. Tacked everything up neatly, we tested and ground loop hum gone. Just another example of awesome customer service. There was no charge for the service. Anybody got a Comcast experience like this to share?
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    That's great customer service! And I agree....I love DirecTV.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics