Does anyone use the lead weights made for drapes?

Options
I want to get a bunch to place a bunch of them on top of components to at least deaden the cases of maybe everything. Has anyone thought of this our used them?

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited March 2016
    Options
    They are the kind of things that you can get from "Michales or some place like that. you could probbly drop em inside as well like the pading dynamat like a lot of you use. I think they are littlle flat slabs of lead in muslin bags.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    How about trying it? I love trying cheap tweaks. I haven't tried weights on my gear, I usually try to have good isolation first. But isolation doesn't help with air born vibration.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    One of these ought to do the trick, Bob's your uncle! :)ivkt94d6dn7b.jpg
  • afterburnt
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I am gonna try these to dampen the sheet metal on my Yamaha. If it does nothing at least I will have more lead in my environment.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DK6IVI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A7OWZNGK2TTDP
  • littlewoodboats
    Options
    At .05 ounces each are they enough mass to make any difference? I just weighed a 2014 penny at .08.

Lead fishing weights would be a better buy. If you want 50 pounds or more go to a bullet casting site and check the classifieds. I loaded up a few years back so am not sure what current prices might be. My last purchase was 120 pounds delivered to my door for $140.00. One pound ingots cast from salvage wheel weights. Pure lead wheel weights were starting to dry up so have no idea what current prices might be. If you are only looking for a few pounds hit me up.

If you have no plans to use the lead for casting the metalurgy would not matter.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    I use rubberized dumbbell weights with 3M bumpons. One 2-1/2 pounder seems to be sufficient.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    I never thought of that. I have hundreds of of pounds of plates now I have a reason to pick them up
  • afterburnt
    Options
    At .05 ounces each are they enough mass to make any difference? I just weighed a 2014 penny at .08.

Lead fishing weights would be a better buy. If you want 50 pounds or more go to a bullet casting site and check the classifieds. I loaded up a few years back so am not sure what current prices might be. My last purchase was 120 pounds delivered to my door for $140.00. One pound ingots cast from salvage wheel weights. Pure lead wheel weights were starting to dry up so have no idea what current prices might be. If you are only looking for a few pounds hit me up.

If you have no plans to use the lead for casting the metalurgy would not matter.

I was looking for something rather flat and thin do you have anything like that?
  • littlewoodboats
    littlewoodboats Posts: 823
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I do not have one in front of me to measure but would guess thickness at 1/2", maybe 3/8". A little larger than a dollar bill folded in half. It will be morning before I am back to the shop to measure one. I will post an image and dimensions. I have a healthy stash of muzzleloading bullets and balls so could part with some lead.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005XQC9I2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

These are .5 oz, does anyone think that sticking these things on with double sided tape to the bottom will do any good?
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    Is there any reason why you would not want to remove the cases, line them with dynamat and reinstall them? That's pretty much what the stuff is made for and more than likely a better idea than piling weight plates on your gear.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Is there any reason why you would not want to remove the cases, line them with dynamat and reinstall them? That's pretty much what the stuff is made for and more than likely a better idea than piling weight plates on your gear.

I might agree, however....maybe we should start with the obvious question. Why ? Is there something about the sound your getting your not liking ? Your obviously wanting to get rid of something your hearing.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    well make sure the two sided tape won't get hot enough to let go and have that lead conduct across something.....and let the magic smoke out. I'd go dynamat
  • littlewoodboats
    Options
    Here are some rough measurements. The smaller ingots measure 3" x 2" x 1/2" and weigh 13 1/8 ounces. The bigger measure 3 1/8 x 2 9/16 x 7/8 and weigh 2 lbs 2 3/4 ounces.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

I might agree, however....maybe we should start with the obvious question. Why ? Is there something about the sound your getting your not liking ? Your obviously wanting to get rid of something your hearing.

Actually tony, I don't know that I am hearing anything but with some of my gear the sheet metal vibrates like crazy.

@motorstereo I am not opening anything up, I was thinking of stick those weights to the bottoms or sides on the outside. Those big Ingots will go on the tops.
  • littlewoodboats
    Options
    Placing weights on top of gear is not a new idea. Mapleshades has a selection of weights they refer to as HeavyHat weight sets.

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/HeavyHat-Brass-Weight-Set/productinfo/HEAVYHAT-SET/

It seems the idea is the weights used on top of a piece will add mass and therefore dampen vibration. I put one on each top corner of my Outlaw M-975. I have no idea what if any sonic benefit there might be but there is a noticeable difference when tapping on the top of the case. Tapping on the case gave off a hollow ring that is not there with a weight on each corner. The few images I am finding show the weights one each on the back corners and one in the middle up front.

Sticking with my M-975 as an example I would not place any weight in the middle of the case due to deflection.

I hear the difference when I put weights on top of my Monitor 7's but doubt the rest of my system is capable of the resolution necessary for something like weights to make a noticeable difference. Dampening a resonant frequency vibration through the housing of equipment sounds like a good idea. Dynamat inside the enclosure is common but is not always practical due to space restrictions.

With a pink noise generator and RTA it would be easy enough to see if there is a measurable difference.

• zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    Options
    I have not used weights on top before, but any rattle has disappeared previously by applying Dynamat (or similar) to all the interior panels of the sheet metal case. I saw you mention you didn't want to open them up, but it does work very well, and looks stock as well.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    We Italians use bodies as weights, wrapped in drapes....preferably of the non-living nature. Well, they can be living, but usually with a cinder block and rope attached to their ankles. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    I added external weight to my amp and preamp to deaden the ringing cases. My equipment is new and have anti tampering seals on them. Opening these up and adding dynamat would void the warranty. Once the warranty expires I will do the dynamat.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • littlewoodboats
    littlewoodboats Posts: 823
    edited March 2016
    Options
    zingo wrote: »
    I have not used weights on top before, but any rattle has disappeared previously by applying Dynamat (or similar) to all the interior panels of the sheet metal case. I saw you mention you didn't want to open them up, but it does work very well, and looks stock as well.

What gear have you done? I can see doing the OPPO and have the dynamat ready the next time it comes out of the cabinet. The worst offender for case vibration in my system is the Outlaw pre/pro and I am not sure trying dynamat in there is a good idea. Do you dynamat the case of gear that generates heat?

I can see the benefit to doing a disk player but would you do a pre amp?

tonyb wrote: »
    We Italians use bodies as weights, wrapped in drapes....preferably of the non-living nature. Well, they can be living, but usually with a cinder block and rope attached to their ankles. :)

I would think the bodies would ooze over time creating issues that would outweigh any short term sonic benefit.