Building a pair of Polk Monitor 10's

167891012»

Comments

• westmassguywestmassguy Posts: 5,769
    pkquat wrote: »
    This was one of my favorite builds to read about, and I am still amazed at the wood work. I have no idea on a price. 10's get less love. :/ Others would know more.

I would be really intrigued see what these would be like converted to SDA's. A crossover from a CRS / 2B? would be needed and I think new drivers as well. Someone else may know more about the cabinet size and how the PR would react. I don't recall if the 10 and CRS share that as well. That may bring new life to these for you, and more interest if you decide to sell them.

It's been done. A 2A or 86' CRS+ Crossover will work with the existing drivers. The 2B/87-89' CRS+ crossovers will work also, but you'll need two MW6511 dimensional woofers.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer
    Cables: Speaker: Furez 10/2 with GLS Locking Banana Plugs
    Interconnect: Furez 10/2 with SpeakONs
    ICs: Custom Furez by Douglas Connections
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps
    Carver CT-3 Pre, Carver PM-600

dhsspeakerservice.com/
    Now Carrying Gimpod's Custom SDA Circuit Boards

"And keep her under 70, would you, huh? Betty likes a slow ride"
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 13,530
    I'm not sure you will get any more than around $300 for them, and that might require a true Polk enthusiast. The cabinets are fantastic and the work is top notch, but the speaker itself is limited by used prices around $100.

I actually think PK might have a good option for you given the excellent cabinet work. We had a member experiment with that option and he found it to be more enjoyable than the M10.

Personally, I think these just become heirloom pieces. They are easy to pass to family because their tone is so enjoyable and they are now works of art. Since you'll never get close to your investment, keeping them in the family might keep the payoff higher for you.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, iFi LS3.5
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
167891012»