Building a pair of Polk Monitor 10's

Comments

• willwillywillwilly Posts: 185
    I have to admit one major improvement, setting the tweeters not only made the install look professional, but the bass came alive. I must have had air leaks which is very likely since I didn't use a seal until I made the final recessed installation.

I'm close to getting rid of the equalizer. I'm not far from neutral on all frequencies, still adding a little bass and reducing the mids. These tweeters are awesome. I look forward to RDO-198's in the sevens.
    Will I am
  • heiney9heiney9 Posts: 23,459
    The RD0 tweeters are a huge improvement over the SLxxx series. Not many manufacturers support products 20-30 years old but Polk R & D'd those to improve them while still making them electrically equivalent.

Enjoy

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Plus DAC | MIT Shotgun S3 | MIT Z P/C's | updated SDA 1C| SQ Box Touch/Welbourne Labs P/S- Tubes add soul!
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 6,948
    edited May 2016
    willwilly wrote: »
    I'm close to getting rid of the equalizer. I'm not far from neutral on all frequencies, still adding a little bass and reducing the mids.

Awesome. I hear the Blackhole 5 mod helps reduce the shouty midrange at louder volumes.
    | Front - Dynaudio Emit M20 | Center - N/A | Rear - Polk Monitor 4 | Sub - N/A |
    | AVR - Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020 | Preamp - Dared MC-7P | Amp - B&K Reference 4420 |
    | Turntable - Yamaha PX-3 | Cartridge - Dynavector DV-20X2H | Digital Source - AURALiC Aries Mini |
    | TV - LG 60" 4K | Gaming - Xbox One - PS3 - New 3DS XL - Nvidia Shield TV |

This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality
    Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal
    All this pain is an illusion
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 13,537
    Will, you've been exceptional through this process and I commend you. You are a rarity in these parts and it's been a real joy watching this come to fruition.

As far as the flaws with the monitor 10, don't ever take that as anything but a fact. There is a reason speakers are no longer made that way. Speaker design was still rather rudimentary in those days and we have learned much since then. Make no mistake that they and all the vintage polks are still great speakers due to the voicing and build quality. Some are still even end game type speakers for many in a world of million dollar speakers.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, iFi LS3.5
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • leftwinger57leftwinger57 Posts: 2,813
    Will, I have no idea how those sound but the wood working looks fantastic and flawless. Over at AK a similar project was proposed ,this time JBL studio monitors and to be mass produced. This guy had no idea what he was getting into and to a man shot him down w/o mercy. Here you weathered the verbal storm, changed and perfected your design features and took some advice along the way. Most all here say SDAs can not be reproduced w/o any monetary returns and not worth the effort. Here you take the monitor line and looks like did the M 10s some justice. What needs to be done if you even care is to meter and do an a-b blind test w/ stock originals and see which bests out. I never heard 10s but do own '78 M7s w/ x-overs redone by Dave. Did you finally tally up what that set cost you with not even counting your labor or sweat equity ?
    2chl- Adcom 555- NAD 1020a pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Samson - 9 outlet-Adcom GFS-6 -Rectilinear Low Boys - DCM TF 350s- OHM L- , '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, gaskets, Stained Walnut tops

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • westmassguywestmassguy Posts: 5,772
    You're welcome. Enjoy those puppies.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer
    Cables: Speaker: Furez 10/2 with GLS Locking Banana Plugs
    Interconnect: Furez 10/2 with SpeakONs
    ICs: Custom Furez by Douglas Connections
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps
    Carver CT-3 Pre, Carver PM-600

dhsspeakerservice.com/
    Now Carrying Gimpod's Custom SDA Circuit Boards

"And keep her under 70, would you, huh? Betty likes a slow ride"
    Did you finally tally up what that set cost you with not even counting your labor or sweat equity ?

MDF, veneer, crossovers, drivers, tweeters... $615. But probably more like $750 for all new drivers...

I would love to do a side by side blind test with an original. If anyone would like to donate a pair, I certainly will not object to thoroughly testing.
    Will I am
  • pkquatpkquat Posts: 510
    DSkip wrote: »
    Will, you've been exceptional through this process and I commend you. You are a rarity in these parts and it's been a real joy watching this come to fruition.

Very well said. I'd nominate this thread to become an announcement or sticky. There is lots of good information, answers to common questions, and good feedback from @willwilly. The speakers do look amazing, "a most excellent job." I do hope you veneer the M7's, possibly in something exotic. The 7's hold a special place in many polk and non polk fans. But its not my money, so I know how that goes. If you wrap them, I'd still vote for something stunning, but not too crazy.
    I'm close to getting rid of the equalizer. I'm not far from neutral on all frequencies, still adding a little bass and reducing the mids. These tweeters are awesome. I look forward to RDO-198's in the sevens.

I'd hate to take you down the rabbit hole, but if you can find a decent set of separates, or mostly a good separate amp, I think you will be amazed at the bass difference it makes. Sometimes the bass doesn't seem much louder per se, but it has much more impact and all the music is more detailed. As I mentioned previously, you start hearing things you may never have noticed before. It becomes even easier to isolate different sounds.

Most of all, I'm glad things are turning out well, and you're seeing the fruits of your labor and the advice. Thank you for the thread. :)

• K_MK_M Posts: 938
    edited May 2016
    F1nut wrote: »
    I see some good advice, mixed in with a lot of tired generalizations, and unless they are sitting in your garage listening with you, very doubtful to even guess as to what you are hearing there.

Doubtful for you maybe. Don't speak for the rest of us.

Please KEEP me on Ignore, as you said you had done in a previous post.
    Unless your motive is to simply bicker with select posters for unknown reasons.

I have done the same with you, now keep to what you said, PLEASE

Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4,SDA 3.1TL, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-
    Epos-
    Infinity-
    Advent-

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,154
    Please KEEP me on Ignore, as you said you had done in a previous post.
    Unless your motive is to simply bicker with select posters for unknown reasons.

I changed my mind as I could not let you run around here dishing out misinformation any longer.

Deal with it or not, I don't care.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,194
    And lastly: Don't post a picture of your audio system on an audiophile forum. They will rip you a new one...
    Will i am ;)

With your EQs turned up all the way in every frequency that can happen haha! I am VERY impressed with your project and how it turned out. I'm sure you will be a very good fit around these parts.
    Living room

Mains: SDA 2B Studio
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12
    Power: Marantz SR7000 Preouts to Yamaha AV34
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved

2 Channel/Bedroom

*under construction*
    Polk TSI 200
    Power: Marantz PM235
    CDP: Technics SL-PD688
    TT: Pioneer PL510

Noggin Rockin'

Grado SR80e
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Harman Kardon AVR130
    Yamaha HTR5590
    Paradigm Monitor 90
    Polk RTA11TL
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    https://g.co/kgs/srJG3

Sunday Morning listening on M10's. Wow.
    Will I am
  • Gunther16Gunther16 Posts: 245
    One small question, while you were building these fabulous cabinets did you also seal them internally? You mentioned air leaks somewhere in a past post. PS they look fantastic, great work. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.
    Polk 3.1TL (Gimpods boards, Sonicaps, Mills Res., Dynamat, Sonic Barrier, Hurricane Nuts, Cabinet sealing, Glue of magnets,Cardas Binding Post upgrades) - to be relegated to my daughters system eventually as I permit or am ready to part with.
    Polk CS350 Center
    Polk FX500 Surround
    Definitive Powerfield Subwoofer
    B&W 803D2
    Krell Showcase Processor
    Krell KAV 3250 Amp
    Adcom 555II Amp
    Adcom 555II Amp
    Musical Fidelity A3CD
    Sony PS4300 Turntable
    Rotel RQ970BX Phono Preamp
    Adcom Ace-515 Line Conditioner
    Richard Grays Power Company Line Conditioner (2)
    Hitachi 60" Ultravision TV
    Oppo BDP-103 Blue Ray
    Nothing other than all the joints are glued with biscuits. The only air leak I had was the tweeter before recessing.
    Will I am
    edited May 2016
    When playing around with a rescued pair of 5's, I have to admit the lobing issue from side by side drivers is evident to me now. The tens sound much better but the "imaging", using this word lightly since I'm just starting to recognize what it is, is muttled compared to the fives.

I look forward to my sevens.

33qt4iilu9db.jpg

Will I am
    edited May 2016
    When playing around with a rescued pair of 5's, I have to admit the lobing issue from side by side drivers is evident to me now. The tens sound much better but the "imaging", using this word lightly since I'm just starting to recognize what it is, is muttled compared to the fives.

I look forward to my sevens.

33qt4iilu9db.jpg

*slowly starts clapping*

The road to enlightmenment begins...

EDIT: Like I said before, the M10's are good speakers, just not great. I'd gladly own another pair if the right deal came along. If you just want an awesome tonal signature and don't care about the stereophonic qualities, they are a top contender for anyone.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, iFi LS3.5
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    edited May 2016
    Conclusion:

I have had a wonderful time with this project. It has inspired more ideas and other possibilities.

My initial idea was to build a nice pair of speakers I fell in love with many years ago. A familiar story.

I have played all my music through these twice. I have hit my favorites many times more. I have compared them with other Monitors: Played with sub woofers, surrounds, receivers, equalizer...

After all that, I am very comfortable knowing I recognized a good pair of speakers in the day. I compared everything to them, never owning a pair.

But,

What I have learned, Monitor 10's are great speakers, the speakers you roll out for the 4th of July patio party, Barn dances or Church socials. Great for the shop, Jazz, Piano, Classical, Pop, ROCK, They will project! I have mine with a vintage Polk sub, A simple integrated 100w receiver in a high ceiling shop, Perfect for rock'n while you're drin... working.

But I've been ruined forever. Ruined like the day a friend made concentrate on the laugh track most sitcoms use, letting you know when to laugh.

Imagining is lost in 10's, it's there but nothing like single driver Monitors. They would be fine in the living room but for real sit down, good listening speakers, I can do better but stay Vintage.

Live and learn. On to 7's

Will I am
    Still going strong!
    Will I am
  • BlueBirdMusicBlueBirdMusic Registered User Posts: 255
    Will I am,
    Thanks for bumping this thread. I had not seen it previously, and so I binged on it this morning. Thoroughly enjoyed all of it. Your speakers are fantastic!

Learning from the experience of others is perhaps the most difficult thing to accept and accomplish. You succeeded 100%.

Harry here,
    in Marietta GA,
  • BlueBirdMusicBlueBirdMusic Registered User Posts: 255
    Will,
    I saw these Monitor 10B's on Craigslist Atlanta this morning. They have original boxes and the stands. I don't remember your talking about stands for your "masterpieces".

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ele/5982191957.html

zkspps1k8aeb.jpg

I have yet to make stands since my speakers are mounted in my shop about head level. A relatively simple build that I plan on doing for my M7 set in the house, now my favorite speakers...
    Will I am
    That seems like a decent deal. A good base for upgraded X-overs, new tweeters...
    Will I am
    I hope to rival your build with my rta15tl. It will be a long while before they or completed or revealed but they will most definitely be one of a kind.
    audiothesis.com/

• VR3VR3 Posts: 21,818
    This was an excellent build! :)
    Vr3Mods.com ///// Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • xschopxschop Posts: 635
    The custom woodwork is 1st class. If and when I get a set of 10's I will try an inductor on one of the MWs just like I did for the TMM project. It got rid of the lobing. Kudos.
    Still going strong. I never added the screens, just don't want to cover up the wood!
    Will I am
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 17,860
    Beautiful work man.
    Source: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD | Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2L | Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A | Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 | Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75 | AC Power: Panamax M5300-PM
    edited September 11
    So I'm thinking about selling these clone M10's to fund my next project. Anyone interested. Not sure of a price. I know I have more than $800 in parts, wood... Not including labor which is a contribution for most of my projects.
    Will I am
  • pkquatpkquat Posts: 510
    This was one of my favorite builds to read about, and I am still amazed at the wood work. I have no idea on a price. 10's get less love. :/ Others would know more.

I would be really intrigued see what these would be like converted to SDA's. A crossover from a CRS / 2B? would be needed and I think new drivers as well. Someone else may know more about the cabinet size and how the PR would react. I don't recall if the 10 and CRS share that as well. That may bring new life to these for you, and more interest if you decide to sell them.