Is it worth Bi amping LSi15's?

Options
Just wondering if it was worth bi amping or not. Right now they are run from a Adcom GFA-555 from the pre outs of Denon avr-3310ci . I like this but was wondering if bi amping was worth the cost of another amp and active crossover. Just wondering since it is set up for bi amping.

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    How big is your room? How loud do you normally listen? What type of music do you listen to?

I have never bi amped personally, but the 555 is a decent power amp, and possibly the $$ could be better spent in other areas? Or sell the 555 and take that money along with the budget for a second power amp and just buy a better single amp?

I would for sure upgrade the subwoofer in the speaker if you haven't already. I did that and it made a fairly significant difference IMO..
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Buke9
    Buke9 Posts: 31
    Options
    The room is 20 x 20. I listen to just about everything. Not too loud unless there is beer involved ; ). I was just asking if sound quality is effected with bi amping.
  • hochpt21
    Options
    That's a decent size room.

Hopefully, someone else chimes in here soon. Bi-amping sure wouldn't hurt, but my bet would be on better SQ by taking that budget and upgrading another component in your system.

Do you have single-wire cables with a jumper? Or bi-wire cables?
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    Buke9 wrote: »
    The room is 20 x 20. I listen to just about everything. Not too loud unless there is beer involved ; ). I was just asking if sound quality is effected with bi amping.

Doing it with active crossovers will net improved sound. Just be aware it takes some effort to dial all that in. That said, as hochpt21 stated, an amp upgrade will too. You might also consider getting a dedicated 2 channel pre amp as that will absolutely be an improvement over the AVR.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• slbenz
    slbenz Posts: 97
    Options
    Having done the route you are saying but with a set of Magnepan IIIas, active biamping will definitely improve the sound. But as F1nut has said, I would replace your AVR first with a separate preamp. It would net the greatest improvement in sound for the money, even over replacing your amp. You have to start with a good foundation before even attempting to go active biamp or even replacing your current amp. You will find that your AVR will be the one component holding everything back if you were to purchase an additional amp and active crossover for your speakers. To put it in perspective, when I replaced my Pioneer Elite AVR with a separate preamp, it lifted least two layers closer to the performance while changing amps and going active each netted an additional layer closer to the performance. Hope that helps.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Have to agree with the other guys. For the money spent, your better off with a dedicated pre amp, maybe invest in some better cabling or source piece, and a better amp before considering active bi-amping.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    It would be more "worthwhile" if the terminals allowed the side mounted woofer to be run separate from the front mounted mid/woofers, instead of the configuration they use now, with the tweeter/all 3 other speakers combined set up they have now.
  • Buke9
    Options
    Thanks for the comments all. I wasn't wanting to do this right away (the wife would kill me) as I'm heading to CanJam SoCal with an eye on a new dac. Not sure what was meant by single wire cables or bi-wire cables? Why do I need better cabling as I haven't said what my cabling is.
  • hochpt21
    Options
    Since you have two sets of binding posts, you can have a regular set of cables run to one set of binding posts and then a "jumper" to connect.

Or you can have a bi-wire cable that has the regular connection to your amp, but then splits on the speaker side to connect to both sets of binding posts.

It looks like tonyb was just throwing out some suggestions based on all of the info we have discussed so far. It doesn't look like he necessarily said that you need new cabling.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Correct....just a suggestion as a possible upgrade, along with all the other suggestions.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Buke9
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    How big is your room? How loud do you normally listen? What type of music do you listen to?

I have never bi amped personally, but the 555 is a decent power amp, and possibly the $$ could be better spent in other areas? Or sell the 555 and take that money along with the budget for a second power amp and just buy a better single amp?

I would for sure upgrade the subwoofer in the speaker if you haven't already. I did that and it made a fairly significant difference IMO..

What did you upgrade the driver with?
  • hochpt21
    Options
    Let me double check, but off the top of my head it was a db840 dvc.

@EndersShadow was it the svc or dvc??

Is that thread still around??
  • hochpt21
    Options
    Actually I think it was the svc...

Wait for someone to confirm.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,531
    Options

It is the SVC... thread here
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • hochpt21
    Options

Thank you. On my phone.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,531
    Options

Thank you. On my phone.

Some pictures of the stock sub v db840 in my post on this page
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options

Bummer! Just read that thread about the db840 woofers (which we did a fair while back) and it does sound a lot less boomy and heavy sounding now ( a great thing!), but looked thru and that guy ZEPPELIN2 made some actual measurements, but they are not showing at all on our comp.

Was curious to see the exact change they made.

Anyone else not seeing his many measurements either?