Wall wort compatability question

Options
One of my cats chewed through the cable of a wall wort. Its a 18vac, will a 12vdc work in its place? I know zilch about this stuff. Thanks!
Computer room Hegeman 1 SpeakersM&K VX-80 subKenwood DP-7010Cambridge Audio CXC Transport Rega DACPrimaLuna Prologue Four AmpAric Audio Tube PreampGarage Jennings Research SquareCustom tube preampCrown XLS-1000Denon DCD-1500II Modded MSB Link DAC

Comments

• deucekazoo
    Options
    NO!
    Two different voltages and one is a DC voltage and your original is an AC voltage for your component. These can't be mixed. You need to replace it with the exact voltage and AC wall transformer. Or cut the wires back and solder them together. Should be an easy fix depending how much of it they chewed up.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    Options
    Just look at the power requirement on the back of the component and buy a new wall-wart of matching voltage, and at least equal amperage. Fred Meyer or Radio Shack should have have a replacement, or solder back together the old one as suggested.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,433
    Options
    Is it okay if the current spec is higher, as long as the voltage spec matches?
    I disabled signatures.
  • deucekazoo
    deucekazoo Posts: 146
    Options
    Yes, as long as the voltage is the same 18vac you can go higher on the ampage.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,433
    Options
    okay, yeah, that's what I thought I read a while back.
    voltage pushed and current drawn?
    I disabled signatures.