Wall mount Lsi9s

Options
Hey gang,

Compromising with wife on bookshelf speakers since floor stand have low WAF. :P Figure I go with a solid set of lsi9's as my main front l\r. Was told they need at lease 1ft clearance from wall.

Anyone have experience with wall mounting lsi9s successfully and could offer some suggestions on wall mounts?

Oh and bonus question, some local sale on a pair in pristine, non modded, condition. He's selling for 600. This what lsi9s go for these days?

Edgar

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    They have Polk's Power Port on the rear, so you can butt them right up against the wall. That said, why not put them on stands instead? Speakers like that mounted to the wall would look rather silly. Another idea that I'm sure your wife would love, get inwalls.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Dammit Ken, please remove the word b u t t from the bad word list.....just ridiculous.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    $600 is too much
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    I don't know if $600 is too much for a pristine pair. Can u snag them cheaper? Yes. Are there other brands of bookshelfs that are very competitive in that price range? Yes. But I don't think it's a bad price if they are really pristine condition and that's what you want.

I just had a modded pair on a solid wood entertainment tv stand and they were about 8 inches from the back wall. It really exaggerated the bass and shrunk the soundstage.

I would either go with f1nuts suggestion and get some really nice in walls, or get sealed speakers made to go up against a wall. I have the nht m5s which have a boundary switch and sound really good anywhere. Definitive technology also makes some great on wall speakers. That way you can take them with you if you move. Pair them with a nice sub and you'll have a great little setup!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • edgar5453
    Options
    The main reason why the wife doesn't want floor standing is her fear of one toppling over our 1 year old, so floorstands are a no go. I did in walls for our existing home, x4 polk rc65s, and am not completely sold on the experience. Feel like I lost a lot of the punchy mids.

Building a new home so have lots of flexibility to prewire. The living room is pretty much set for one entertainment center local, happy to share the blueprint. A little concerned the space might be to large for the lsi9s but they seem the biggest hitters within my 600 budget. I did negotiate 500 with him so seems a bit more tempting.

Thanks for the responses so far!

Edgar
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    edited February 2016
    Options
    OK with that logic you may need to get rid of the stove as your kid could get burnt. I raised two rowdy son's with not one but three sets of floor standers in different rooms and not once did I ever have a problem with the kids....the dog on the other hand is another story. Teach them young to appreciate and respect the gear it goes a long way. Never too young.

Just saying.
  • edgar5453
    Options
    Pitsdogg, oh I agree but sometimes you have to choose your battles. Figured this one might be an opportunity to get creative. Really like the klipsch heresy 3s compact wide and negates the concern...just a tad over my budget.

Edgar
  • edgar5453
    Options
    F1nut thanks for confirming the lsi's can be near flush mounted. Thought i read a 1ft distance waa required. As for other alternatives, Svs have always been appealing to me. Although they're rear ported and my understanding is that all rear ports require a fair amount to room from the wall to perform optimally.

http://www.svsound.com/products/ultra-bookshelf
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    edited February 2016
    Options
    edgar5453 wrote: »
    Pitsdogg, oh I agree but sometimes you have to choose your battles.

Edgar

I understand

• F1nut
    Options
    F1nut thanks for confirming the lsi's can be near flush mounted. Thought i read a 1ft distance waa required. As for other alternatives, Svs have always been appealing to me. Although they're rear ported and my understanding is that all rear ports require a fair amount to room from the wall to perform optimally.

Right, they can be, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Forget any regular rear ported speaker, they need to be at least 18" off the back wall, 3 feet is better.

President of Club Polk

• edgar5453
    edgar5453 Posts: 5
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Considering theses are 14yr old speakers, produced in 2002 i believe? Let's say they were used modestly over the years, would internal components need replacing due to wear and tear(Aka crossovers and the such)? Wondering what I'm getting myself into.

Maybe consider a more current Polk bookshelf like the rti a3s or are they that dramatic of a difference?

Edgar
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    They may not nessesarily be 14 years old. My lsi15 had a production date on the drivers of 2009. I bought them at the end of 2010, so a year old isn't that bad.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    Considering theses are 14yr old speakers, produced in 2002 i believe? Let's say they were used modestly over the years, would internal components need replacing due to wear and tear(Aka crossovers and the such)? Wondering what I'm getting myself into.

Maybe consider a more current Polk bookshelf like the rti a3s or are they that dramatic of a difference?

Edgar

Very different sound. But as with anything audio, depends on what you like, expect or want.

Rti series have a much stronger top end, and the midrange is more forward also.

We, have an Rti6 (predecessor to rtia3) and I like some things about it actually better than our Lsi9 speakers.
    The lsi9 is more refined, and smoother overall, but the deepest bass of the Rti6 is a good bit better than the Lsi9.

On some music, that more forward midrange and treble sound, is appealing, but with other stuff it gets fatiguing quickly.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,464
    Options
    @edgar5453, Did you ever buy these LSi9's?
    If not, current promos at various sites may get you into a set of LSiM703's for a little bit more than what you're looking at for LSi9's. You won't be able to wall mount them, though, unless you're talking about using sturdy shelves, I'd think. Yes, would not be good for either of these speakers to come down on a child.

I'd pass on RTi/A's if music's your thing, but that's just my unsolicited and extremely biased opinion. Depending on the size of your space, LSi7's may even be an option, and if you can hold out, they do come up for sale around here from time to time and can be surprising, especially if you'll be using a sub.
    I disabled signatures.