Expertise Needed

Options
Hi all!

Newbie here, and I wanted to see if I'm thinking right on this. My uncle and his wife have decided to downsize, so he's giving me his audio system:

RTi A7s
RTi A3s
CSi A6
Epik Legend
Pioneer Elite SC-55

I know how to hook up the speakers, but I'm not sure about the TV and PS3. I just bought a Samsung 4K TV today, and I was told that because my receiver doesn't have HDCP 2.2, I can't connect it to my TV via HDMI. I'm thinking this is what I need to do:

PS3 to TV via HDMI
PS3 to receiver via Optical cable
TV to receiver via Optical cable

Am I off base here? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    http://www.cnet.com/news/do-i-need-a-new-av-receiver-to-go-with-my-4k-tv/

It will not pass 4K through HDMI but where are going to get 4K? streaming is the only place I'm aware of now and most of that would be through something like a cat6 cable. I'm thinking you can still use HDMI somewhat. I'd try the HDMI and see what you get.

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Your tv will connect to the avr, nothing special about the HDMI connections. HDCP 2.2 is the ability to decode the large amount of information that is needed for 4K content.

No new HDMI cables are needed for HDMI 2.0 or HDCP 2.2, from what I've read.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »

No new HDMI cables are needed for HDMI 2.0 or HDCP 2.2, from what I've read.

Yes and no ... If you had first generation HDMI then yes you would need newer cable 1st gen didn't have the extra wire for return audio. For 4k any of the 15-17 gigabyte should work fine from what I understand. HDMI 2.2 IS a spec for the HDMI board itself.

• cstibitz
    cstibitz Posts: 14
    Options
    There may be a setting on your TV you need to change. I know when I hooked mine up I had to change the audio out settings in the TVs menu.
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Options
    I have my Onkyo 709 conected Via HDMI to a Vizio 4K TV with no problems. Using an HDMI 2.0 cable.
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • slbenz
    slbenz Posts: 97
    Options
    It shouldn't be a problem to connect your PS3 via HDMI. I have an LG 4K TV and any upscaling is done at the TV level. I had an Xbox 360 connected via HDMI via my older Pioneer Elite Receiver. You just won't be able to play 4K streaming content. Everything else should be fine.