Capacitor Guru's, please chime in.

I was until after the Backert Labs Rhumba 1.1 demo to put the Dexa discrete Op-amps in the Eastern Electric Mini Max Plus Dac. Really seems to have stepped it up quite a bit in the transparency, detail and clarity department.

There are a pair of coupling caps that couple the op-amps with the tube output that are most likely Bennic (Eastern Electric branded) or other lower end poly caps.

The value is 3.3uF 100v. In talking with Rich (Scompracer) he did some calculations with the impedance of my pre amp and said I didn't really need to stick with that value, I could easily go higher, etc. Haven't decided yet if I'm going to leave the stock value or go higher.

I have the cap choice brands narrowed down a bit (I haven't checked to see if size will be an issue).

Any help from people that have used any of these caps, discuss.

Auricap XO 200vdc (smallish size)
Obligatto Gold 630vdc (largish size)
Clarity Cap MR 400vdc (mediumish size)
Jantzen Audio Superior Z 800vdc (large size)
Ampohm Caps - these are hard to find in stock.

Perhaps Sonicap Gen I too, but been there done that.

I am really leaning towards the Jantzen Audio Superior Z. Everything I've read gives it stellar reviews and it seems to be the most natural and neutral and it's very reasonably priced.

Clarity Cap MR is another one that gets excellent reviews as being neutral, open and natural, but they are twice the price of the Jantzen Audio's.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    This is why there are no Ampohm caps for sale

Update: Ampohm went into receivership during the summer of 2009. These wonderful capacitors will not be produced again and can not be restocked. The values shown here are all that is remaining.

A shame because some of their oil in paper caps got some great reviews.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    Let's also add;

Mundorf Supreme to the mix. 600vdc (largish) not too expensive either

MusiCap (by Hovland) 100vdc (right size) 200vdc (smallish) these are film and foil poly's. Very reasonably priced. Not much out there for reviews.

H9
  • heiney9
    FYI white caps on the lower right side is what I want to upgrade.

IMG_2693.JPG
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    V Cap has a coupling cap calculator with explanation guide for use. Of course the ideal coupling cap is no coupling cap, but when you have to, use the lowest value you can get away with.

http://www.v-cap.com/coupling-capacitor-calculator.php

Sonicap Platinums are highly regarded as well as Jupiter copper foil.

Mundorf S/G/O are good but due to multiple layers they can really flavor the sound. For instance, I'd never use them in a phono stage.

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    Jupiter copper foil or Obligatto gold.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    Thanks Rich and Jesse for the input. I keep thinking Obligatto but many reviewers say they are a tad warm. I think because I have tubes in the dac and tubes in the pre, I am looking for something a tad on the neutral lively side.

The Jupiter's look fantastic, but not sure it makes sense to spend $400 on caps for this unit. The op-amps alone set me back a bit. Trying to keep it in perspective and not go way off the deep end, but still enjoy a serious upgrade in sound.

The Jupiter HT line looks very nice too, perhaps even a better choice than the Jantzen Superior Z or Mundorf Supreme. Sonicraft has then on sale for $47 each. That's doable.

H9
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    I wouldn't call the Obligatto's warm, I'd call them natural.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    The Obligatto's certainly hit a very nice price point @ $19 each. Even if it turns out they aren't a good match, I'm not out that much.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited February 2016
    Yeah, that's another good reason to keep couplers as small as possible for your system, cost really goes up by the uf!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *