Motorcycle Riders...

Answers

• DerfDerf Posts: 99
    Love that Duc Scrambler! Give us a ride report after you've had some time with it!
    Preamp: Dayens Ampino
    Amps: Dayens Monoblocks
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • Rick88Rick88 Posts: 12,650
    Sweeeet!! B)
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

• msgmsg Posts: 3,323
    Nice, man, congrats B)
    How long have you been without a bike?
    Specs?

I was kinda hoping you were gonna get something with a sidecar.

aj5k08hlclj3.jpg
    You mentioned Triumph. I was hot on the Speed Triples for a while. They sound friggin' GORgeous. Just felt a little long for me.
  • jeremymarcinkojeremymarcinko Posts: 2,721
    I haven't ridden in about 4 years but had sportbikes for about 15 years prior. Was looking for something that wasn't going to beg me to mis behave, but still was a blast to ride and cornered well.

I could have purchased a much "better" bike for the price of this thing, however, I loved the styling and the simplistic design with no traction control, riding modes, gear indicator etc.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Mike ReeterMike Reeter Posts: 3,067
    Looks like a FUN ride, N'joy!!!
    SDA SRS 3.1TL's/Dynaudio Contour S 3.4 LE's
    edited May 6
    msg wrote: »
    You mentioned Triumph. I was hot on the Speed Triples for a while. They sound friggin' GORgeous. Just felt a little long for me.

Yeah my last one was a speed triple. While lifting the front wheel is fun i like for there to be a little effort involved.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
    I could have purchased a much "better" bike for the price of this thing, however, I loved the styling and the simplistic design with no traction control, riding modes, gear indicator etc.
    There's something about a nice new motorcycle with modern internals and handling but when you sit on it the stance and feel takes you back 30 years. Really dig your bike--congrats on the purchase!

I've never ridden a bike with traction control and all such goodies. I don't know. I feel like it might be counter-intuitive, or somehow spoil me or otherwise mess up my feel for behavior and feel? Yamaha Super Tenere was on my radar for a while, but that combined brake thing doesn't appeal to me.

Mike, your sweet new BMW's probably got some great amenities. Aside from the built in grill and awning, what do you think about safety control type stuff in general? Do you like that stuff or do you prefer all basic and simple controls?

I don't even know what an ABS bike feels like. I just don't like the idea of automated anything on a bike, but I've only been riding 8yrs.

ps - J... Speed Triple? Details on that, please, you s.o.b....
    The Street Triple feels more comfortable to me size wise, but we don't have any shops here that offer demo rides. The ST3 seems very similar to the Buell, stance and size wise, but eh, I just can't get my head around 675cc vs 1050, although I hear they're an absolute blast and so easy to throw around. This is one of the things I enjoy about a little DR650. That bike is so much fun for dogging around town. I feel like I'm riding a big mountain bike. It's so forgiving and easy to control, soaks up all the bumps, inspires confidence.

You guys ever seen any of those police obstacle course competitions? those guys throw around Erik Estrada bikes like they were nothing.
    I wasn't aware that traction control has made it to bikes.

Like ABS brakes, not something I want on my bike.

Heck, I don't like ABS on cars either...

• exalted512exalted512 Posts: 10,774
    Rick88 wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that traction control has made it to bikes.

Like ABS brakes, not something I want on my bike.

Heck, I don't like ABS on cars either...

Traction control and ABS has definitely made it to bikes. I don't mind it, as long as I can take it off. I think both have their benefits, especially when it's wet. You'd be hard pressed to find a rider on the street that can brake better in the wet with a bike not equipped with ABS vs. a bike with it. Ideal conditions is a different story, but as with a lot of stuff, sometimes you have to deal with what conditions you've been given, not the conditions that you prefer.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
    edited May 9
    I had a 2003 Speed Triple 955i. It was pretty fast, comfortable, but its handling was its weak point. Squishy front fork was good for around town but had to much dive when getting on the brakes deep in the corners. The bike also transitioned it's weight rearward too quickly and the front end would lift too easy under power so exiting corners under power you had to watch getting into the throttle too soon. It was just more difficult to ride fast through the twisties than other sport bikes I have owned.

I haven't ridden the 1050 but I would imagine it's MUCH better. I think I would still go with the monster S or even the new FZ09, since they updated the suspension, over the speed triple.
    Do you all go with aftermarket suspension for the street? For the dirt, proper valving and springs for one's weight and riding style, front and rear, is a key component to maintain control. Wondering if street riders do the same?
    My bike's all oe. Standard Showa preload, compression and rebound damping. Some higher end bikes I've looked at come with Ohlins stuff front and rear. I know a couple of guys who play with fluid and stuff. I don't know enough about suspension tuning to make any serious assessments.

I did a suspension swap on the Buell several years after I got it, though. Went with the longer travel of a different bike in the series available only in Europe. The low suspension was sportier, but combined with a steep steering angle and only around 3" travel, it just beat me up too much, and was too twitchy for me at the time.
    Race Tech is where I had my forks valved and proper springs added. Also bought a new shock from them. OE was built for someone about 150 lbs, it seemed. I'm a little over that! My bike was transformed by the upgrade. I just wondering out loud how much of a difference a custom tuned suspension would make for the street . . .
    Yeah, I've heard similar stories from guys on the ADV Rider forum wrt suspension upgrades for big adventure bikes, and also the dualsport Hondas and Suzukis. I've seen RaceTech parts for the Suzuki Vstrom, as well, springs, and some kind of emulators? Absolutely no experience. I bet some of the track dudes would know more, too. Maybe @Geoff4rfc is still lurking around. Not sure. He might still be out on his attempt to ride a wheelie around the world at 150mph.
  • exalted512exalted512 Posts: 10,774
    My street bike suspension is stock as it's good enough for what I seek to accomplish on the street. But my track bike has Traxxion AK20 front forks and an Ohlins rear shock.

The factory stuff, at least as far as sport bikes go, is pretty good from the factory. If you're exceeding the limit of them on the street, you're likely riding way to hard for conditions anyway.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • gudnoyezgudnoyez Posts: 5,665
    All you riders regardless of what you ride be careful and aware. I witnessed the aftermath of a pretty bad accident about 4 blocks down the road from me. Some one rear-ended another vehicle which caused another vehicle to swerve and hit a couple on a Harley. I heard the collision and screaming went to investigate the bike riders were on the ground the guy in front of the lady who was under the vehicle.

The moaning of pain coming from the lady still is a little Erie to me it was quite a mess and upsetting to see something like that. I know most you Harley riders dont wear helmets but I'm betting these poor people were wishing they did. I had a pretty bad accident a helmet saved my life. Just be careful everyone there's been a few accidents already this spring around here.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
    Yeah it certainly a risk to be out there amongst the automobiles. Unfortunately in those situations protective gear only does so much
    Hey Steve, Jeebs, that's disturbing. I'm sure that is sticking eerily with you. Thanks for sharing. It's a good, sobering reminder to always expect the completely unexpected.

Some people don't like to talk about or hear about accidents like this because it makes them think unpleasantly about what could happen to them. The truth is, it could happen to any rider. I try to learn something about every one I hear or read about to add to the knowledgebase of stuff to be mindful of. I view it as necessary continuing education. Definitely a risk, every time you head out, no doubt about it. I still find it enjoyable in spite of that, and while I'm no pro nor even have as much experience as others, I don't necessarily consider myself a timid rider. At times, though, I've had such an eerie feeling about being out that I've just turned around and headed home, instead. Call it fear, superstition, whatever. At best it's a distraction, and not a state of mind for being on a bike.
    If any of you all are in need of some new riding gear iron pony has some nice items on clearance. I just picked up this leather riding jacket at 70% off.

http://www.ironpony.com/ipd/pi.asp/ImageName/X73711330.JPG/Brand/IXS/c2/Jackets-and-Vests/c3/Leather-Jackets/c1/Street-Products/KitKey2/Harding-Leather-Jacket
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Here's my last bike.

l200lN5.jpg
    TForan wrote: »
    Here's my last bike.

l200lN5.jpg

That's Awesome!!
    Dag, T, did that thing ever see pavement?!?
    That's a real nice jacket, J.
    Wow.
    Seriously.
    Thanks for that.
    If any of you all are in need of some new riding gear iron pony has some nice items on clearance. I just picked up this leather riding jacket at 70% off.
    6mtpwqakmezp.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    msg wrote: »
    Dag, T, did that thing ever see pavement?!?

Yea, I rode it. Polished it too !
    I spent most of the weekend working on my bike. Yesterday I had my new Michelin tires mounted, then went home and polished the wheels.

Today I put them back on the bike and took it for a short test ride to make sure all is well. While doing so I hit 13k on the bike. Nothing like the feel of fresh rubber!!B)

It doesn't look like the weather will be dry until Thursday or Friday to allow me to get the bike inspected, but after that my hot rod is ready for the riding season (finally)... :)

g27pfbmihdpg.jpg
    iskzo0qu2k2r.jpg
    j03ycdhp4eds.jpg
    0axlkhcadd20.jpg

Looks good man. Enjoy the ride!

I've only put about 300 miles on the Ducati so far. Enjoying it a lot; I would like to have logged twice as many miles at this point.
    edited June 17
    Looks good man. Enjoy the ride!

I've only put about 300 miles on the Ducati so far. Enjoying it a lot; I would like to have logged twice as many miles at this point.

How many miles have you ridden now Jeremy? That's a nice bike!! B)

I got a late start this year, but in the past 2 weeks I've ridden about 800 miles.

Today's ride=

1fhbfbrzsm0c.jpg

I've ridden 1400 miles so far this year and here's the current mileage on my bike=

roysq4qc2rrq.jpg

Be safe everyone, and enjoy the riding season!!

4k9l8l5l0g57.jpg