Polk SRS 3.1 TL hookup/troubleshooting

Options
photoglyph
photoglyph Posts: 1
Hello everyone, I recently got a pair of Polk Audio SRS 3.1 TL's for a friend of mine. They had been donated to our church by a former member; they were in great physical condition and had been in use for a time at a building at our church. He has hooked them up but the sound is clearly not right.

He has connected them to a Harman Kardon AVR 40 receiver I also gave him (65 watts per channel when in stereo mode). He does not have the interconnect cable but my understanding is this enhances the sound as opposed to being absolutely necessary to produce sound.

The sound is very low and distorts quickly as volume is increased. He has no other speakers to try to eliminate the receiver as the issue. Also, we appreciate that a power amp would certainly help sound but as with the interconnect, is not a necessity for functionality.

Anyone have any ideas? He only has the FM tuner to use as a sound source no CD/Turntable/MP3.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    Options
    Just a guess at this point, but I'd say the AVR has a problem.

That said, that AVR at 12lbs. really doesn't have what it takes to drive those speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• honestaquarian
    Options
    Yeah
    What HE said ^
    Butcha gotta get another speaker(s) to confirm the hypothesis.