Anybody have this problem with the RDO198 Tweeter in 3.1TL?

Options
Replaced both tweeters in my wonderful 3.1TL's about 2-3 years ago. Recently I have noticed that both of them sound very tinny, screeching and harsh. Both are working and producing sound but not clean at all. All other drivers are clean and clear. They are powered by a Krell KAV 3250 Amplifier which is more than powerful enough to drive the TL's easily. Input is provided by a B&K Ref 30 Preamp/processor. It is most noticeable with music that has high frequencies. I purchased these new and they have seen daily use but have not been abused in any way. Any thoughts are appreciated. I am trying to figure out whether this is a crossover problem or a speaker issue. Thanks for your help in advance!

Best Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Contact member westmassguy.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited February 2016 Answer ✓
    Options
    @westmassguy

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Now click his name a message should be top right corner
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited February 2016 Answer ✓
    Options
    Gunther16 wrote: »
    Well I took the leap of faith and getting the Crossovers upgraded along with Gimrods circuit board. Cant wait to hear the improvement. Thanks to all of you for helping to bring my old (and still wonderful) speakers back to life new and improved.

I thank you very much and if you having @westmassguy or @VR3 do them you'll be VERY pleased as they both do excelleent work. By the way It's gimpod not Gimrod. :wink:
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain

Answers

• PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Options
    Whether that is the problem or not I noticed you have not redone the crossovers you should regardless. Your crossovers are probably the most simple and economical of all of the SDA's
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    Could be the caps in your crossovers. Could be your source. Could be your amp. Could be your cables. Could be........

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PolkieMan
    Options
    Yea if it's your amp you could do some real harm to the speakers. Why don't you try another amp to be safe.
  • Gunther16
    Options
    Tried a Different Amp, Adcom 555II, no change at all same ol same ol. These 3.1TL never had anything done other than change of Tweeter. Think I'll put the old 3000 back in just to see if there is an improvement. As far as crossover upgrade, I'm really not any good with doing anything remotely electronic, Not so much as an inkling of what I'd be doing and am not going to take a chance on **** up my beloved Polk 3.1TL's. Does anyone here on the forum know of a person who would do this upgrade for me reasonably priced? Retired and on limited budget, SS is not a living wage! Yes they are old and could probably use some improvement on electronics.
  • Gunther16
    Options
    Hmmm, Exellent F1NUT, now for the kicker, Being not familiar with the New forum how do I go about contacting westmassguy?
  • Gunther16
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who has and will yet reply . You all are awesome!!!!!!
  • PolkieMan
    Options
    I am in 77584. Thing is, 1/2 the work is removing and reattaching the parts are large and the Gimpod board make it quite easy lots of room to solder
    http://www.gimpod.com/parts31tl.html

Tried a Different Amp, Adcom 555II, no change at all same ol same ol. These 3.1TL never had anything done other than change of Tweeter. Think I'll put the old 3000 back in just to see if there is an improvement. As far as crossover upgrade, I'm really not any good with doing anything remotely electronic, Not so much as an inkling of what I'd be doing and am not going to take a chance on **** up my beloved Polk 3.1TL's. Does anyone here on the forum know of a person who would do this upgrade for me reasonably priced? Retired and on limited budget, SS is not a living wage! Yes they are old and could probably use some improvement on electronics.

• honestaquarian
    Options
    I had the same problem with the SL-3000's when I got my 3.1TL's a year ago. The problem disappeared when I replaced them with the RD0198'S
    I would love to do some crossover upgrades, but my budget does not currently allow either.
  • Gunther16
    Options
    Well I took the leap of faith and getting the Crossovers upgraded along with Gimrods circuit board. Cant wait to hear the improvement. Thanks to all of you for helping to bring my old (and still wonderful) speakers back to life new and improved.
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    Money well spent...
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    gimpod wrote: »
    By the way It's gimpod not Gimrod. :wink:

At least it wasn't nimrod ;)

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    Hey welcome back to the land of the living @gimpod❕❕
  • Gunther16
    Options
    Did not mean to offend, Gimpod. Not my fault I got lousy typing skills. And yes westmassguy is helping me out.