Where to start...

Hey guys, been a member for a few years and have been a lurker more than a participant. I find myself in uncharted waters these days. I want to upgrade my system and I'm confused by some of the products in the market and where they may fit for me. I never had much of a vinyl collection and pretty much rid myself of vinyl equipment several years ago. I have become unhappy with what I'm hearing and have started the process of changing out my HT system (which was where I listened to my music as well) to a 2 channel rig. I continue to use my Pioneer Elite DV-45a universal player for source material. I picked up a Marsh amp and a Carver c-19 tube pre a few years ago and coupled those with a pair of Klipsch CF-1's. The sound was getting better, but, like most of us, it didn't take long for dissatisfaction to set in. I added a Stella DA-100 Signature and noticed an improvement. I recently purchased a Cary tube pre and amp. I connected my laptop to the DAC and have pretty much been using that as my source.

Thanks for bearing with me. I'm in search of a new DAC (or so I think) to help improve my sound. I'm confused as to whether I need a music streamer/server or a DAC. I've done some research here and see folks spending 5 figures on a DAC and I can tell you I don't have those resources. I would consider somewhere in the 3k range as the max for a DAC, but, could adjust that a little bit up or down depending on the return. Example, if a 2k DAC sounds about the same as a 3k, I'll apply the remaining to another upgrade.

A couple of thoughts/questions: Should I get away from a laptop as a source? Should I move to a streamer or similar product? Who has thoughts on DAC's in this price range? I've also considered going with an Oppo 103 or 105. I want this system to be the best 2 channel sound I can get within my budget. I'm aware that synergy between components are critical, and, along those lines, there are no good dealers within 100 miles of me. I'm not against making the drive, but, it becomes more troublesome to audition new equipment in my system this way.

Anything anyone can offer is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm also searching for a new set of speakers. Recently listened to the GoldenEar triton line and have a few others on the list to audition. Which brings me to another concern...I'm afraid I may be trying to do too many things at once.

Thanks, Kerry

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    If your wanting to build a 2 channel I would forget about using a universal player like the Oppos and get a decent standalone Dac which could be obtained with the money you would have spent on a 105, or go for a dedicated SACD player which would be the perfect source and use its Dac for your laptop, assuming you also have a CD and a SACD Collection.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Yes, many cd's and some sacd's. My initial plan was to get a good stand alone dac. Would prefer just a good transport, preferably one that does sacd. Trying to get feedback as I've gotten a little overwhelmed in searching.
  • gudnoyez
    Dskip had a nice Marantz SA11S1 SACD for sale and priced very reasonable that would be right up your alley. You should send him a PM it's a very nice player.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I would get the speakers you really want long term nailed down first and build out the system from there. You can have the best components within your budget in your system, but they still won't give you the performance you are after if they are not a good match for the sound you want coming out of a pair of speakers you really like.
  • kharp1
    Emlyn, that seems like the best course of action. I've mind screwed this thing beyond recognition.
  • 98Badger
    98Badger Posts: 317
    I second Emlyn's post. Speakers will have the largest effect on sound. I know some will disagree, but I have long been a believer in spending the largest percentage of your budget on speakers. Since you are already auditioning speakers, I'd recommend checking out Scansonic. Incredible price to performance ratio.
  • kharp1
    I recently listen to the GoldenEar Tritons and Totem Arro. Would have liked to have heard a Totem with larger drivers. Have Revel and Sonus Faber on the short list. Will try to check out the Scansonic's if I can find a dealer. There use to be a couple of good dealers here in Louisville, now all we have is Best Buy and HH Gregg. Sad.
    Contacted DSkip about his Marantz as it seems like it checks the main boxes I'm interested in.
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Spending what you can on speakers is good advice. I did the same, and you can upgrade your components over time to yield the best performance from them. I haven't got my ears on Sonus fabers, but a friend of mine has some very expensive revels, not sure what model, paired with music fidelity gear and sounds phenomenal.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• footwedge
    footwedge Posts: 475
    edited February 2016
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    If your wanting to build a 2 channel I would forget about using a universal player like the Oppos and get a decent standalone Dac which could be obtained with the money you would have spent on a 105, or go for a dedicated SACD player which would be the perfect source and use its Dac for your laptop, assuming you also have a CD and a SACD Collection.

Just make sure the player will support your computer music file types.
    Post edited by footwedge on
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    May also want to look at KEF R series.
  • kharp1
    footwedge wrote: »

I had thought the Cambridge 851D was the one I was going jump in the water with until I realized it didn't do DSD. That's a must. Don't want to end up on the Beta end of tech again...
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Check out this modded by Decware player. Plays high res FLAC, DSD, WAV, from a USB stick/hard drive or over a network. Also plays redbook CD's.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/ZCD.htm

ZCD240smb.jpg

afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    I did not catch that no wonder it's on sale :-(

kharp1 wrote: »
    footwedge wrote: »

I had thought the Cambridge 851D was the one I was going jump in the water with until I realized it didn't do DSD. That's a must. Don't want to end up on the Beta end of tech again...

POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • Nightfall wrote: »
    Check out this modded by Decware player. Plays high res FLAC, DSD, WAV, from a USB stick/hard drive or over a network. Also plays redbook CD's.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/ZCD.htm

ZCD240smb.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with this player? Looks like it covers all of the essential features.
  • kharp1
    I went ahead and picked up the Marantz SA-14 that DSkip was offering at a good price. The Decware is very interesting, would love to get some first hand, or, reliable feedback on it. May pick one up for use in a second system...with what it offers at that price point it seems like a no-brainer.
  • gudnoyez
    Glad to hear that you just upped your game, that Marantz SA14 is sweet congratulations you will love it
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head