Salamander archetype 5.0

I'm interested in one of these racks, I love the adjustability of them. Went to my local hifi shop and they were asking 900 bucks for one of these! Seriously? With the crappy loon, and shipping, these are ridiculously priced.

I'm going to make one! Actually my girlfriend is a cabinet maker and works at a mill work shop, designing and building kitchens, she's going to handle the wood, I'm going to handle the threaded rod.

Anyone have one of these? I need a few details. I know the dimensions of the shelves. But how thick are they? Dimensions of the threaded rod? And where the holes are drilled on the shelves. Thanks in advance.

Looks like I can build this for pretty cheap with top notch materials. My lady is super talented, you guys should see some of her work.
2 channel:
Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
Theater:
Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    she's going to handle the wood, I'm going to handle the rod.

*snicker* too easy. I'll leave that one alone.

I have a Salamander Synergy, if there's any dimensions from it you need I'd be happy to pull a tape. Not sure if the Archetype use the same shelves and what not as the Synergy series.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    I'm interested in one of these racks, I love the adjustability of them. Went to my local hifi shop and they were asking 900 bucks for one of these! Seriously? With the crappy loon, and shipping, these are ridiculously priced.

I'm going to make one! Actually my girlfriend is a cabinet maker and works at a mill work shop, designing and building kitchens, she's going to handle the wood, I'm going to handle the threaded rod.

Anyone have one of these? I need a few details. I know the dimensions of the shelves. But how thick are they? Dimensions of the threaded rod? And where the holes are drilled on the shelves. Thanks in advance.

Looks like I can build this for pretty cheap with top notch materials. My lady is super talented, you guys should see some of her work.

Mikey I've got one and will get you measurements later.....

But I'd just say overbuild the shelves like 1.5 or 2" thick and your good. Do you plan on adding the rubber washers between shelves? The way mine goes is:

Nut
    Rubber washer
    Shelf
    Rubber washer
    Nut

I'd do it that way for sure mimimum. I will take some pics of the documentation I have. Also keep in mind you can but the threaded rods from Salamander direct if you wanted to not have to worry about sourcing them. They coat them with some sort of oil asa FYI to keep em from rusting.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Nightfall wrote: »
    she's going to handle the wood, I'm going to handle the rod.

*snicker* too easy. I'll leave that one alone.

I have a Salamander Synergy, if there's any dimensions from it you need I'd be happy to pull a tape. Not sure if the Archetype use the same shelves and what not as the Synergy series.

Yeah kinda put that out there lol.

Thanks everyone, my gird friend recommended a minimum of 1 inch thickness. I can get the threaded rod easily through one of our distubutors, I was going to go stainless if I can, but it might be super pricey.

Thanks Enders, good to know about the rubber washers. I was thinking about felt washers. But I have easy access to rubber as well. Let me know the dimensions when you have time, no rush on this one.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited January 2016
    The removable shelves on the Synergy are only 3/4" thick.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk