6 Ohm Speakers... Which Terminal?

Options
Apologies if this has already been answered...

If I want to try 6 ohm speakers on an amp that has positive terminals for 8 ohm and 4 ohm, which terminal should I use?

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    4 ohm.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • deucekazoo
    Options
    I was always told to try both and see which one I like the sound of. This was on tube amps.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • michaeljhsda2
    Options
    4 ohm tap on my tube amp sounded better on the 1.2TL's (large inductor replacement reduced the impedance). Also applies to the 2B's, 1C's.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Thanks for the quick responses guys! It was more out of curiosity than anything. I have a new tube integrated amp that has both 4 and 8 ohm taps. My speakers are 8 ohm, but prior to picking those up, I was looking at 6 ohm bookies. Was curious which tap would be better in that case. Sounds like 4 ohm it is, but it wouldn't hurt to try both.
  • michaeljhsda2
    Options
    What amp did you get?
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Assuming you're asking about a transformer-coupled amplifier -- try both and stick with the one that sounds better to you -- either way, the mismatch should be negligible for any speaker that's truly, nominally '6 ohm' across either tap of the output transformers.

If the amplifier's not transformer coupled, 4 ohm may indeed be the better choice.
  • scubalab
    Options
    What amp did you get?

Michael - I got the Jolida FX-10. Really liking it so far.

Mark - I'll ask an admittedly stupid question, but how do I know if the amp is transformer coupled? I'm guessing it is?

I have the Polk RT25i speakers and they sound fantastic. However, I picked up a pair of the Pioneer SP-BS22 LR speakers on sale ($89) at BB just to give them a listen and see what all the rave was about. They are 6 ohm. I tried them on both the 4 and 8 ohm taps. The 8 ohm taps definitely sound better to me. The 4 ohm taps were much lower volume. That said, to my ears the Polks win by a LONG SHOT over the Pioneers. Don't get me wrong, the Pio's sound great, but the Polks sound REALLY GREAT! For a brand new bookie pair at $90, the Pios are a great deal, and have a very nice soundstage, but so do the Polks (and they have a fuller sound and richer bass). Additionally, the Polks are much more efficient and play a bit louder and clearer. I imagine the Pio's will get a bit better once broken in, but the RT25i's are truly a gem! For now, the Pio's are going back.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    Glad we didn't steal you wrong Al! I do love the little rt25is. I would imagine that at least part of the difference is that that little tube amp really needs pretty efficient and easy to drive speakers, and polks win on that front.

Glad ur digging the setup!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • scubalab
    Options
    Paul - yeah, I knew I'd like the RT25i's. I had the bigger brother in that line (either the RTi38's or the RT35i's) at one time and loved them. I'm just so impressed at the bass these little guys produce. It doesn't seem possible. It's full, but not overwhelming. And the efficiency of the Polks is definitely noticeable. Don't get me wrong, the Pioneers sound very good, and produce a very nice transparent soundstage, but just don't work as well with the little amp. I'm sure given more power and letting them break in, they'd be keepers for the price. But they aren't replacing the Polks, and I don't have any other use for them. So, back to BB they will go!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    If I read the other thread correctly, it looks like you have a JoLida FX-10?
    If so, yes it looks to be a pretty ordinary (topologically speaking) transformer coupled Class AB, push-pull EL84 amp.

fx10_back.png

You can see the three transformers (two output transformers flanking the central power transformer) in the photo above.
  • scubalab
    Options
    Mark, You got it! I indeed have the Jolida FX-10. Thanks for the info... I'm always learning here!