Thoughts, when did the forum start?

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,056
Does anyone know when this forum actually started?
I think it was in the 1990's sometime. I joined way back then but the forum didn't keep all the records from them. They had a cutoff like 2001 or something like that which was not the starting of the forum.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• mantis
    Options
    It says I joined on July 2001 but thats not correct.
    Dan
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    Options
    I think it was between 1997-1999. Who remembers the little newsletters that were mailed out before there was a forum?
  • mantis
    Options
    I still have them
    Dan
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    I certainly wasn't around then, but the Wayback Machine first shows a link to Club Polk in its December 11,1997 capture.

https://web.archive.org/web/19971211235322/http://www.polkaudio.com/
  • mantis
    Options
    Thats pretty cool man, thanks for that.
    Dan
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    Options
    It started when I joined, Jan 2003, lol...
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I joined in I think in '98 but was pretty silent for the most part. 2001 when they re-did the forum they also reset everyone to that 2001 starting point.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,793
    Options
    It started when I joined.

I'm bad, I'm nationwide B)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    'silent' isn''t one of my better things -- you can ask any of my erstwhile co-workers, or anyone who served on the Harvard, MA School Committee (school board) with me ;-)
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    Options
    I always liked participating in the marketing studies, but never got enough points to buy anything substantial that interested me.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Options
    I know I joined shortly after the forum first came to be. Who the first non-polk employee it was to register is still a mystery. Maybe Russ Abernathy? (spelling) Maybe it's someone who registered, messed around on it for a bit and took off, never to be heard from again.

But yeah, it didn't get cool until F1nut joined.
    No excuses!
  • ken brydson
    Options
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    I know I joined shortly after the forum first came to be. Who the first non-polk employee it was to register is still a mystery. Maybe Russ Abernathy? (spelling) Maybe it's someone who registered, messed around on it for a bit and took off, never to be heard from again.

He's overrated....JK
  • F1nut
    Options
    Strong Bad wrote: »

That is funny.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I know one thing, we had a lot more fun back then.....cutting up, telling dirty jokes, posting hot babe pics and of course talking audio. None of this PC and censor BS, which has just killed this once great forum

President of Club Polk

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Preach it from the mountains.
  • ken brydson
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

There you go bringing religion into it. I'm offended...
  • lightman1
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

There you go bringing religion into it. I'm offended...

Ahhh yes, the PC folks might be looking in.
    My humble apologies, Mr Brydson.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited January 2016
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I know one thing, we had a lot more fun back then.....cutting up, telling dirty jokes, posting hot babe pics and of course talking audio. None of this PC and censor BS, which has just killed this once great forum

Amen to that. The banter back then was very entertaining. Now we have....vanilla. Someone please **** to keep me awake.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Options

That is for sure! It was such a blast back then. The "Babe" thread is still legendary for those of us who remember it. Then someone got their drawers bunched up in their crack and cried a hissy fit...and so began the slide down the path to the dark side...aka...political correctness.

Oh well, it is what is. Those of us who were around pre-2001, we're like the Knights of the Old Republic. Micah Cohen was our Yoda! HAHA!
    No excuses!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    I remember seeing the forum link up in mid-1997 when I had bought a set of EX speakers for my truck and went online to register. That was like June of '97, I believe. The link went to a page that said something like "Coming Soon!".

I came back in late August of '97 when sitting on my thumbs at my co-op job waiting for a security clearance to come in and had nothing to do.

The forum was up around then but absolutely nothing was going on. I registered but didn't post anything. I just watched and through to about April of 1998, it was pretty much dead. I went back to classes and lost time for it. Came back in late '99 and things were kinda jumping. I lurked for a while because I was trying to graduate college and working two jobs to pay for it. When I came back in late 2000, I couldn't remember the password to my old account (I don't even remember what my account name was) and just lurked a bit more. Then got wrapped up with traveling for the BMD program. Came back in 2001 after the "reboot", registered a new account and have been annoying you people since.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    Options
    I came in shortly after 2001, but under a different user name. Stayed mostly on 'the dark side' of the forum for years. Went exploring one day and found the hall of shame section...then I went back to the dark side for a few more years...haha
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • lightman1
    Options
    Came here in 2007. It was different back then. Good times. Various trolls would come in and would get set afire. Crackin wise. Meet new folks with Polks. Still do that today. Just not as colorful.
    I've spent a boatload of $$$$ since. Jerks..
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    So this thread (finally) got me to dig around & figure out when I got here; apparently it was 2004, per the link below (from 2007):

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/50681/looking-for-chronology-etc-polk-model-9-vs-9a
  • F1nut
    Options
    Mark, all you had to do is click on your user name. You, "Joined June 2004"

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    edited January 2016
    Options
    heh -- never thought of that.
    Thanks.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    Anyone remember candyliquor35? I believe he was the earliest known persona to start the topple of a once great forum. I'm pretty sure he was the first to complain about the infamous "babe" thread.

He complained about a lot of things............he must have been Xcapri's grandfather.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Something obvious that I find interesting is just how YOUNG a few of the original members of this site (former site) are! Then of course there are also the older guys. It's a little awkward when you meet an old timer and you're old enough to be his "father". lol

Mark H. telling people what he thinks in a "public forum", a force to be reckoned or else! No? Surely you jest?

But what I miss most of all, is the old George Grand and his quips. Put us young'uns, in our place, he did! Newbies that is! Actually, I don't think Mr. Grand is that much older than I (several years? more?), which is also odd!

In Zamyatin's WE, I-330 (the character reminds me a little of Lola Astanova, below) states that Revolutions are Infinite! Something to think about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ynRFQRIE4c
    Post edited by cnh on
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • ken brydson
    Options
    Mark, all you had to do is click on your user name. You, "Joined June 2004"

Gotta love Mr Hardy. Ask him what time it is and he'll tell you how to build a watch...
  • F1nut
    edited January 2016
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Anyone remember candyliquor35? I believe he was the earliest known persona to start the topple of a once great forum. I'm pretty sure he was the first to complain about the infamous "babe" thread.

He complained about a lot of things............he must have been Xcapri's grandfather.

H9

Who could forget Carl and his seriously whacked gray matter. He was so in love with SL2000 tweeters that he installed one on each of the front doors in his car. I've got a pic of that somewhere. Then there was the 2.2uF cap he added to the SL2000's in his speakers. Someone ran a program, which showed that doing so resulted in something like a 15dB drop in the upper frequencies.

One of the whacker non-audio related stories involved him bugging the authorities trying to get them to make the people on his street park in their driveways instead of on the street.

I'm sure he had a very nice collection of tinfoil hats.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I've always found it interesting when those who could be my father tell me they respect my opinions as much as they do.

We lied.

j/k

President of Club Polk