Marty Robbins

Options
Just saw Marty Robbins - Gunfighter Ballads And Trail Songs is coming out Feb 5th. when I was growing up this LP got the most play time during the 60's :)
fjezza2z02k9.jpg

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/111867/Marty_Robbins-Gunfighter_Ballads_And_Trail_Songs-180_Gram_Vinyl_Record

I also saw : Phil Collins - Take A Look At Me Now
Collector's Edition 180 Gram 3 LP
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/109464/Phil_Collins-Take_A_Look_At_Me_Now-Vinyl_Box_Sets

And a complete Vinyl box set for Clapton
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/111686/Eric_Clapton-The_Studio_Album_Collection_Box_Set-Vinyl_Box_Sets
2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,443
    Options
    My mom used to play Marty Robbins when we were growing up, and I thought it sucked and joked her for liking country. Well, the other night I heard this cool song playing on Breaking Bad, which I had on in the background, and it caught my attention and I liked it so much I Soundhounded it to see who it was - it Marty Robbins doing El Paso! So he's on my list of stuff to check out. Haven't told my Mom yet. And none of you will, either.

My tastes in music have expanded quite a bit since 5th grade. I really enjoy the variants of folk and classic country stuff these days. I'm finding that I really enjoy this kind of stuff for vinyl sessions, especially.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Great stuff on that album. There's a volume 2, as well -- I have a copy; never listened to it, though.

Mrs. H was out in El Paso last week (the starting point of a birding expedition with the Mass Audubon folks)... I think it's rather different there now than it used to be, though ;- )
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,443
    Options
    no gunslingers?
    I disabled signatures.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,982
    Options
    He's playing near me in March I believe and I need to pick up some tickets pronto. Recently saw Marty Stuart covering the song El Paso, and he said it was incredibly hard to sing because no line is repeated in the song and there's a lot of lines to remember! Sometimes I mix Marty Stuart and Marty Robbins up in my mind. Both superb.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    I agree that song is one big story and not a typical song.

Growing up my Dad was the biggest Marty Robbins fan & Patsy Cline..
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    Michael Martin Murphy did some good remakes of Marty Robbins songs. I have Rhymes of the Renegades and I like it...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Options
    Now I know what to buy me for my birthday. Love that Marty album. Still have the original my Dad bought back in the day.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    "Big Iron" was in Fallout: New Vegas. Johnny Cash covered it too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbThC9Dt1BQ
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,173
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I always loved Marty Robbins' El Paso.

The Grateful Dead performed it lots of times and did a great job with it.

According to Wikipedia,
    ""El Paso" was frequently covered by the Grateful Dead in concert. The song entered the band's repertoire in 1969, and remained there until the band's demise in 1995; in total, it was performed 389 times. It was sung by rhythm guitarist Bob Weir, with Jerry Garcia contributing harmony vocals."