According to the navy, i have minor hearing loss in my right ear

Options
seabeerob213
seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
edited January 2016 in The Clubhouse
I went in for my annual PHA(physical health assessment) and the result of my audiogram put me at a plus 30 on my right ear, the minimum number to qualify for hearing loss. Now, the headphones they have you wear are on ear, with hard rubber pads, and they fit tightly on your ears. I normally do not suffer from tinnitis, but with those in my ears ring, constantly. Holding them away from my ears, I could hear all the tones, and no ringing, but they don't let you test without them on, so I tested with the ringing. I'll post the results later.
2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited January 2016
    Options
    They should be using over the ear sealed headphones, flawed testing as far as I'm concerned. Everybodies ear canals are different sizes, even the same person can have different size L/R ear canals. In ear headphones can be a crapshoot whether they fit you or not and if they don't you could be "modifying" the shape of your ear canal for them to go in affecting your hearing.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    Options
    Gotta take care of those ears...According to my wife whatever side she is sitting at i am deaf & i cant hear her at all :)
    Randy/Maine
  • seabeerob213
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    They should be using over the ear sealed headphones, flawed testing as far as I'm concerned. Everybodies ear canals are different sizes, even the same person can have different size L/R ear canals. In ear headphones can be a crapshoot whether they fit you or not and if they don't you could be "modifying" the shape of your ear canal for them to go in affecting your hearing.

On ear, sorry, autocorrect changed that. I afreevthey should be over ear.
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,099
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Gotta take care of those ears...According to my wife whatever side she is sitting at i am deaf & i cant hear her at all :)
    I suffer from the same type of hearing loss, except mine has gotten worse and has progressed to include the women at work as well...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • seabeerob213
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    I suffer from the same type of hearing loss, except mine has gotten worse and has progressed to include the women at work as well...

Often seems to include my boss as well.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    On ear, sorry, autocorrect changed that. I afreevthey should be over ear.
    I wish autocorrect would have fixed that, too!

Seriously, though, take care of your ears. This hobby wouldn't be the same without them. Damage is often cumulative and irreversible.
  • seabeerob213
    Options
    Lol, I am not good at typing, got fat fingers.

I agree* they*

And these days I do, it was growing up I didn't.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    All down hill since you dumped that Russian girl. :p

which while your at it, better get your eye site checked too. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • seabeerob213
    Options
    20:15 boss, thanks for asking
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    All down hill since you dumped Russ. :p

Well......this explains EVERYTHING! Forget about your ears and eyes, id get your bunghole inspected ASAP! It's not your stomach that aches, its the hamster that is trying to get out!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • seabeerob213
    Options
    You got the roles reversed bro
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    All down hill since you dumped Russ. :p

Well......this explains EVERYTHING! Forget about your ears and eyes, id get your bunghole inspected ASAP! It's not your stomach that aches, its the hamster that is trying to get out!

o5anqlbkzoox.jpg
  • mrbiron
    Options
    Don't act like you don't know!
    He+s+right+you+know+in+b4+morgan+freeman+meme+_b48abe3e7827cd066915c3e45c64f3ae.jpg
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @seabeerob213
    Don't pay no mind @mrbiron sounds like he had a sore break up with his proctologist ;)

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • seabeerob213
    Options
    He hated it when he had to split
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    What? Speak up!
    Type louder so I can hear you!
  • mrbiron
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    @seabeerob213
    Don't pay no mind @mrbiron sounds like he had a sore break up with his proctologist ;)

He was devilishly handsome and always had soft hands..... :(:(
  • tonyb
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    @seabeerob213

He was devilishly handsome and always had soft hands..... :(:(

Um....that wasn't his hands. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    Sometimes I accompany the wife to her hearing aid adjustment/quick fix appointments. A couple years back the gal there (technician) asks me when the last time I had a hearing test. Been a while I said. She says well we're not to busy so get in the booth. After the test, I exit, she is studying the graph and tells the wife..."you were right, he has selective hearing. He can hear perfectly in your voice frequency range. Busted!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • seabeerob213
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Sometimes I accompany the wife to her hearing aid adjustment/quick fix appointments. A couple years back the gal there (technician) asks me when the last time I had a hearing test. Been a while I said. She says well we're not to busy so get in the booth. After the test, I exit, she is studying the graph and tells the wife..."you were right, he has selective hearing. He can hear perfectly in your voice frequency range. Busted!

Or maybe your wife just paid her to say that
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,099
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    I miss most everything she says these days, except for the word "sex"... I hear that one every time, and sometimes even when she is just thinking it.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    Options
    I have no doubt I have some hearing loss. Coming from the construction business, it's expected. Sure we have hearing protection, but if you don't want to die you need to hear whats going on around you. I'll make that trade any day. Whats the point of wearing hearing protection as you get crushed by a backhoe. People will come to your funeral...."He was a nice man, had great hearing too. " No thanks....

Wife says it's getting bad because I can't hear sheet. I don't see it, but I do see my brain tuning out of conversations I have no interest in. For instance, if 4 of us are talking and the conversation turns to who's on facebook, my brain wanders off somewhere else. Then someone will ask me what do I think ? I'll answer, "about what?" Then the wife says see....your going deaf. No, I'm just not paying attention to stupid stuff.

Todays earbud generation is in for an awakening as they age. Take the buds out, your ears where not built for that type of constant listening.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's