Scored a pair of SRS 2.3TLs

Options
I just got the pair of 2.3TLs listed on CL in Raleigh NC.
Speakers, IC cable and manual.

I started watching them last year when they were listed at $1,350. They started dropping over the next few months and when they got down to $900 I got interested. Just about when I started make contact another CL listing showed up warning everybody that this guy was using other peoples photos and descriptions to advertise his speakers. I checked it out and the links navigated to Audiogon so I figured it was bogus and quit looking at them in December.

Then a few days ago they dropped again so I decided to make contact. I copied that listing warning everybody and pasted it into my email to him and basically asked him if he had these speakers and if he did I would like to see the real photos. Not five minutes later he called me. He admitted he used others photos and descriptions because he was lazy and did not want to pull them back out of the garage. He also said he did not know why there was somebody out there posting a
listing warning people about him. Maybe they came by to buy something from him and could not make a deal and got pissed? Then he told me to go to Ebay and search for SRS 2.3TL as sold items to find the actual photos of his speakers. In December they sold on Ebay for $610 but the buyer could not come up with the money! He was happy about that because he did not want to let them go for $610.

I told him I got the desire and the money but the logistics were a challenge. It is a 10 hour round trip not including any stops and my wife just had foot surgery so I cannot take her with me or leave her at home. I called my stepson who lives in NC and he agreed to go pick them up and store them at his home until I can get up to bring them home. I owe him a steak dinner!

Even though I never saw them in person the photos showed them to be in great shape (tweeters look to be mixed but an easy fix). My stepson said they sounded great to him, the model and serial numbers checked out, the price was fair and now I own a pair of SRS 2.3TLs.

vvecqhcii927.jpg
dr4ditrs4bcx.jpg
33ot002mpmf1.jpg
Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"

Comments

• honestaquarian
    Options
    Good stuff!!
    The tweeters are all SL-3000's. For some reason they seemed to be different colors depending on their vintage.
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    No wait
    Upon closer inspection I could see the top one in each is an RD-0198. This is the silk dome replacement for the SL-3000 and is the superior tweeter.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Options
    That's what I thought. I will find out the details when I pick them up.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Congrats on the 2.3tl's.It looks like you have a start on the upgrades with the rdo's already.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    Nice score!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    Congrats, now it begins... B)
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    @machone
    Make absolutely sure those are RD-0198's and NOT RD-0194's!!
    The 0194's replaced the SL-2000's and the 0198's replaced the SL-3000's. The latter is designed to go lower in frequency before crossing over to the mid-woofers. So the formers (0194's) cannot handle the same frequency range. From the front they look identical.
  • machone
    Options
    Will do. I have a pair of new 198's for comparison. I plan to completely rebuild everything. I learned a lot by rebuilding my SDA-1A's. The 2.3TL's have more aftermarket/technical support and I believe they will be easier to rebuild than the 1A's.
    I look forward to the upgrade.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,789
    Options
    machone, those are all SL3000's. Due to the manufacturing process they came out either black chrome, silver or a gold tone. Polk always matched the colors for each pair of speakers.

Since the top tweeter is the main one, it's the one that suffers from abuse. Therefore, the top tweeters in your speakers are replacement SL3000's.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Congrats! Very nice score.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Good on ya for following up on the 2.3's, I apologize for being a little skeptical about the seller.

You have a pair of Classics that a great system can be built around!
  • machone
    Options
    Thanks wmg.

Thanks Jessie. I did not know about the various colors. After reviewing photos in the SDA handbook in detail I see that they are as you indicated; all SL3000's.

Even if they are all working I assume that the recommendation would be to eventually replace them with RD-0198's. I assume they should be replaced all at the same time?
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Yes on both counts. You can flip the SL3000s here or on eBay to recoup some of your cash outlay. Rare finding them on fleaBay
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • machone
    Options
    Mike,
    No apology needed. I felt the same way about the seller but decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. I really did not expect things to go this way but thought I would give it a try. My stepson picked them up for me and said his basement is packed full of speakers.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• simm
    simm Posts: 562
    Options
    I'm glad someone here bought them as I had been eyeing them as well. They were less than a hour away from me but I didn't need them, didn't have room for them, and have two girls in college so couldn't justify the cost...BUT I wanted them, so glad the temptation is gone. Hope you enjoy them!!!
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    Nice score enjoy them, some say they are the cream of the SDA crop. I was happy when I got mine, a 6 hour round trip drive it was not only a quest but an adventure. I guess the hardest part was getting them down in the basement.

I recall someone here saying it's a good feeling walking by them saying to yourself them bad boys are mine, and I do say that to myself daily. I'm happy for you enjoy those bad boys.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    edited January 2016
    Options
    How much for the Kitchenette and club house? lol

Congrats on the purchase. I paid an initial $1000 for my pair of 2.3TL's, and then shipping across the country...about $1400 in all. Still haven't seen a pair of 2.3's (TL or otherwise) posted for sale in the greater Seattle/PNW area.
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom