Jolida JD9 II Questions

Options
I guess I should probably start my own thread instead of hijacking Larry's...

I'm considering an unmodded Jolida JD9 II. I have never modded electronics before.

Few questions.

From a bit of research it seems these Burr Brown op amps may make the biggest impact. To switch these out, are they just 'plug in'? Or is there soldering involved?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Burr-Brown-OPA637-Precision-Hi-Speed-Difet-OPAmp-OPA637-/160299583574

Are these the OP amps^^^

Is $39 each about right? So around $235 for the mod?

Finally, the modifications I have read about are on the version 1...would this be the same mod on the Jolida JD9 mkII ??

Thanks for the help, just trying to figure out what my total cost would be if I got one of these.

Thanks,
Paul
2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    Hey Paul! Kewl idea!

The JD9 had socket op amps, not sure about the II. If they are soldered in, you would have to remove them and install sockets.

There are tools to remove op amps without damaging them, although you can get by with some needle nose pliers as long one doesn't squeeze too hard.

Sometimes the pins are bent out too far so you have to gently nudge the pins into the individual socket before pushing home and of course, plug them in the proper way.

You should wear a grounding strap on your wrist so you don't static discharge the op amp or adjacent components.

If you get into the solder required mods, a good solder sucker vacuum pump is a must for clean de-soldering. Don't mess with bulbs you have to manually squeeze. These are spring loaded, push a button when the solder is hot to remove.

If it is a RoHS product, it will have lead free solder, which is harder to remove fully. Sometimes you have to add flux and solder to mix with it and retry. You never want to force something out of a circuit board or you can pull out a via.

91_Figure1.png

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *