OLED in the house

As part of my recent venture into open box deals at BB, I stumbled upon an LG 55EC9300 and got sucked in by the picture. They were asking $1,180, but I walked out with it for $1,050. I know it's got some hours on it, but it seems to be in perfect condition, except for a scuff on the front of the stand.

It's only 1080p, but the picture is stunning. Colorful, with intense contrast. Yes, it does look like plasma. As a matter of fact, it's replacing a Sharp AQUOS 50" 4K TV that I've only had for about 4 months. The picture on that was also superb, but I was bothered by the narrow viewing angle, and our living room is unfortunately configured such that a couple seats are outside the optimal range, and the picture begins to appear washed out. Not a problem with the OLED at all.

Comments

  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,202
    Yep, those viewing angles can be a deal breaker. Congrats on the new TV.
  • Stock tip - check out the company whose ticker is OLED
  • gcegce Posts: 2,035
    Yeah, I've heard that OLED was the next Plasma, but the viewing angle would probably bug me.

    Good price, enjoy!
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 3,890
    gce wrote: »
    Yeah, I've heard that OLED was the next Plasma, but the viewing angle would probably bug me.

    Good price, enjoy!
    Thanks! FYI, I bought the OLED to alleviate the viewing angle issues with my previous LED. I'm currently sitting at a very wide angle and it still looks fantastic. The previous LED was very washed out from this same seat.
  • ConradiclesConradicles Posts: 5,359
    OLED is the best. Period.
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 3,890
    OLED is the best. Period.
    You're telling me... How did I live without it?? Lol! B)
  • gcegce Posts: 2,035
    Well, this is all good news. I hope they keep developing OLED and the price goes down by the time I need to replace my plasmas.
  • GlennDogGlennDog Posts: 1,165
    Nice score . . . Enjoy!
  • ConradiclesConradicles Posts: 5,359
    How are you enjoying the new OLED? I got my eyes on the 55" model to replace my Pioneer Kuro in the living room.
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 3,890
    edited February 2016
    How are you enjoying the new OLED? I got my eyes on the 55" model to replace my Pioneer Kuro in the living room.
    We absolutely love it. I don't have any complaints or regrets. It's as good as advertised, IMO, but I'm not a video tweaker or picture snob. Calibration has never interested me, as I'm usually satisfied with out-of-the-box settings. I never had a Kuro, but it seemed like they set the standard in their time, and I believe LG has set the current standard with their OLED models.
  • WillowWillow Posts: 8,659
    Google you tv model and someone out there has calibrated it. It will take you all of 15 mins to get an even better picture.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,202
    Willow wrote: »
    Google you tv model and someone out there has calibrated it. It will take you all of 15 mins to get an even better picture.

    Yep, you can pretty much google up calibration settings for any tv these days. The problem I'm hearing with Oleds and calibrating from the pro's is that because of the tech used, the colors drift, so calibrating it one day may look different a few weeks from now. How much of that would be noticeable under normal viewing conditions is anyone's guess. The panel life is suppose to be a lot shorter than LED or even plasma too, so keep that in mind. Picture quality no doubt is top of the heap though. Still too expensive though for my wallet.
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 3,890
    I'm not sure I could pick a calibrated picture out of a lineup.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,202
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    I'm not sure I could pick a calibrated picture out of a lineup.

    Yeah you could, it's the one that looks a tad bit duller. lol

    Most TV's are set up hot, to make the picture pop. They even have a display mode now for store use that automatically does this so the snot nosed kid setting them up in BestBuy doesn't have to monkey with any settings. Sony also has a mode called Football, another hot setting....pic really pops but on normal movie watching the colors are over blown.
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 3,890
    tonyb wrote: »
    Yeah you could, it's the one that looks a tad bit duller. lol

    Most TV's are set up hot, to make the picture pop. They even have a display mode now for store use that automatically does this so the snot nosed kid setting them up in BestBuy doesn't have to monkey with any settings. Sony also has a mode called Football, another hot setting....pic really pops but on normal movie watching the colors are over blown.
    I do get all that. This TV has Vivid, Standard, Cinema, Sports, Game, and even a couple of "canned" calibration modes called isf Expert (which, as you say, just look duller to me). All I'm saying is that Standard looks fantastic to me. I have no desire to fiddle with it more than that.
  • WillowWillow Posts: 8,659
    Then sit back and continue enjoying it!
  • K_MK_M Posts: 781
    We love our calibrated Panasonic Plasma, BUT when it goes...OLED is our next choice.

    The only issue we have, price is a bit steep for the size.
    We want to go from our current 50", to a 65" maybe. (mostly husband's idea!)
  • ConradiclesConradicles Posts: 5,359
    Same situation here @K_M. I have a Pioneer Kuro and the last gen Samsung plasma. When one of those goes I hope the price of OLED has gone down.
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 3,890
    Ok, just put another OLED in the house! 55" B6P to go in the living room where the old one was. Upgraded to 4K and this one is flat. I'm moving my 1080p curved model to the basement, which is almost finished...
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,202
    I see BestBuy has the 55 in. 4k Oleds for around 1800 bucks now. Not bad for an Oled, but is still almost double the price of other 4k's. Be interesting to see how much further the prices go down running into the end of summer right before football season.
  • ConradiclesConradicles Posts: 5,359
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Ok, just put another OLED in the house! 55" B6P to go in the living room where the old one was. Upgraded to 4K and this one is flat. I'm moving my 1080p curved model to the basement, which is almost finished...

    Congrats. Prices are dropping and should continue.
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 3,890
    tonyb wrote: »
    I see BestBuy has the 55 in. 4k Oleds for around 1800 bucks now. Not bad for an Oled, but is still almost double the price of other 4k's. Be interesting to see how much further the prices go down running into the end of summer right before football season.
    Yes, I was close to choosing the TOTL Samsung SUHD for a few hundred less, but I've been incredibly happy with my first LG OLED.
  • D'privedD'prived Posts: 174
    I purchased a 65" B6P OLED about two months ago that replaced a 59" Samsung plasma which is now in the master bedroom. The plasma is still a great tv but can't hold a candle to the OLED. OLED is sweet!
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,202
    You guys with the Oleds, you having any motion blur issues or have they pretty much straightened that out ?
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 3,890
    No motion blur at all that I perceive. However, I perceived some soap opera effect with the new 4k at first. Tweaking some settings after doing a few Google searches has alleviated it. I do have to say, though, that I'm not a video snob. I'm sure others may be more particular. I just see a beautiful picture. Watching some March Madness right now!
  • D'privedD'prived Posts: 174
    No motion blur for me either. I don't watch sports so I can't speak for that but fast action movies look fine to me.
  • Easy RunninEasy Runnin Posts: 361
    Anybody follow up on my stock tip from last year? it was 49 then, now it over 100. I'm not sure it a good time to jump in now but it is an interesting company. Rumor is the ipohne 8 uses their display. IF that is true I wonder if it will move significantly higher.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!