Low to Mid grade cables for new LSiM703's? (Current ones are homebuilt)

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    ZenDawgg wrote: »
    I believe I just sold a band-saw that I don't use for $400. Sold to a guy at work and I'm letting him go with a payment plan. Probably should put some of that towards the CC portion of the 703's though.

Is that another name for Emotiva that I haven't heard yet?

Sorry, the angry little guy on my shoulder made me say that >:)
    The happy little guy on the other shoulder is laughing though so what does he know...

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Sorry...

I posted that in a rush as I just walked in the door after work.

What I really meant was:

What MIT IC cable series would work well with my S3 AVT3S?

I will probably being buying these used and just wanted to know what to keep an eye out for.

Thanks.
    HT : Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH | Sony BDP-S350 | Parasound HCA 1500A | LSiM 703's | SVS SB-2000 | Polk Audio RM101 | Polk Audio RM7 | Sharp Aquos 52" LED | Speaker Cables - MIT AVt3 | ICs - MIT AVt3 | Harmony One

Headphones : Sennheiser HD-600 | Little Dot MK III tube amp | HRT - Music Streamer II DAC
  • So these would be preferred over say AQ Diamondbacks since I have the S3 AVT3S speaker cables?

Thanks for the links.
    HT : Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH | Sony BDP-S350 | Parasound HCA 1500A | LSiM 703's | SVS SB-2000 | Polk Audio RM101 | Polk Audio RM7 | Sharp Aquos 52" LED | Speaker Cables - MIT AVt3 | ICs - MIT AVt3 | Harmony One

Headphones : Sennheiser HD-600 | Little Dot MK III tube amp | HRT - Music Streamer II DAC
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    Like any brand, MIT's work best as a system.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Thanks.

If I get a set of MIT AVT3 ICs then I can use the diamondbacks on my headphone setup or elsewhere.

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Hey ZenDawg! How about a review on those cables? You've had 2-3 weeks now.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • gp4jesus wrote: »
    Hey ZenDawg! How about a review on those cables? You've had 2-3 weeks now.

Well....I wish I could but since I've only begun my journey of higher quality audio gear I fear I have no idea what I'm listening to/for. Nor have I listened to other high end gear to compare mine with.

When I read others review gear I usually end up scratching my head with an expression .....ah.....what?

Currently I'm only streaming Rhapsody from HTPC via HDMI to an older AVR.

Maybe once I get my P5, good source, some different cables to swap in and out and a couple of hundred listening hours in..... I might be able to intelligently give my impressions.

But I will say that from where I was just 5 weeks ago, my review on my upgrades are: Holy <explicit>! :p

Jazz, Classical, The Who, Dire Straits, Aerosmith, Steely Dan, Rage Against the Machine, ..... pretty much anything I put on is WoW! Heck I just listened to Flirtn' with Disaster and was amazed. I'm like a little kid in a candy at the moment.

• gp4jesus
    edited February 2016
    Listen to familiar/favorites music tracts or movie chapters w/one set of cables then the other.

They'll sound different for sure. Ask yourself: which sounds better? Then post your findings & why.

Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    Look for the MIT AVT# interconnects, that's what I have and they are pretty sweet. They sound just like any other cable, but they really show their worth at mid to high volumes. I don't know what type of black magic they put in that little network box but it works.
    I notice the MIT cables I have really handle bass very well.

If you're on a budget I would just order a set (ebay) to go from your pre-amp to your amp for now.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • RamZet wrote: »
    Look for the MIT AVT# interconnects, that's what I have and they are pretty sweet. They sound just like any other cable, but they really show their worth at mid to high volumes. I don't know what type of black magic they put in that little network box but it works.

If you're on a budget I would just order a set (ebay) to go from your pre-amp to your amp for now.

What would you consider a good price for used 1m or 1.5m MIT AVT3 IC's? I'm keeping my eye out and there was a 1.5m pair that the guy wanted $85 shipped.

Another part of the equation is that my pre is an older Pioneer AVR....until I can I can afford a P5.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    I would buy them for 85 bucks, you won't find anything near that price for decent cables. You don't have to go straight for a P5. Parrasound and others make some respectable pre amps on the used markets for a few hundred bucks that will easily outclass an older Pioneer receiver.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb wrote: »
    I would buy them for 85 bucks, you won't find anything near that price for decent cables. You don't have to go straight for a P5. Parrasound and others make some respectable pre amps on the used markets for a few hundred bucks that will easily outclass an older Pioneer receiver.

Thanks for the info, I will look into the MIT AVT3 ICs if they still are available. I'm still trying to learn the levels MIT cables, an acceptable used price on them and if it would make difference in the gear I have. I guess the AVT3 will be the baseline.

As far as waiting on the P5...that certainly is an option. One the reasons I was going to wait is because this system is actually a dual system, Music, HT/TV and it would just seem easier to have the P5 HT pass through.

But then again, I'm about 90% Music at the moment.

One thing I may try is putting my Headphone DAC in the mix. HTPC -> HRT Music Streamer II -> AVR just to see what the difference is.

What used Parasound pre would you recommend that I keep an eye out for?

Thanks.

• tonyb
    Older 1100 by Parasound. Doesn't have to be by Parasound either, tons of pre amps out there.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ZenDawgg
    ZenDawgg Posts: 89
    edited February 2016
    Won a pair of 1m MIT AVT3 ICs for $54 shipped. Thanks for the links Nightfall.

I'll keep an eye out for an inexpensive, used interim pre amp.

• tonyb
    what city are you in ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gp4jesus
    I'm considering what to do after I've turned off my soldering iron on my system, sooo... Back on February 6th I asked "Hey ZenDawg! How about a review on those cables?"
    ...I fear...
    "Nothing to fear but fear its self." Franklin D. Roosevelt
    I have no idea what I'm listening to/for.
    Differences between your home made versues the MIT AVt3-Series Speaker Cables Interface S3 AVT3S
    ...I will say that from where I was just 5 weeks ago, my review on my upgrades are: Holy <explicit>
    Well this SOUNDS like a review, but can you be more specific about those cables?

I've re-read this thread only to gather... What else have you upgraded before winning those MIT AVT3 ICs?

Thanks for input, Tony
  • tonyb wrote: »
    what city are you in ?

Near State College PA.

• gp4jesus wrote: »
    I'm considering what to do after I've turned off my soldering iron on my system, sooo... Back on February 6th I asked "Hey ZenDawg! How about a review on those cables?"

I will try to write a little something coherent when I get home tonight.

But I've added so much so quickly and I do not have the homemade cables any more so it will all be from memory.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    You are welcome.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • gp4jesus

Like I mentioned, I do not have the homemade cables anymore. I had to wait until I had my HCA 1500A until I could use AVt3’s because the spade connectors wouldn’t work directly on my AVR.

So adding both the amp and the cables seemed to open up the sound. To me they made it sound more 3d and spacious ( I don’t know if there is a proper term for that or not). The mids and bass really benefited from both the amp and speaker wires. How much can I contribute to just the speaker wires? Unknown… (I don’t have the other cables anymore, I gave them to the person I gave the old speakers to).

But for $125 for 2pcs MIT AVt3-Series Speaker Cables Interface biwire S3 AVT3S-12 Feet each, I figured I had nothing to lose.

I’m sure everything together - 703’s, SB-2000, HCA1500A, AVT3’s have something to do with the awesomeness…

Remember, I’m just streaming HTPC -> AVR at the moment. I look forward adding the AVT3 ICs, when I get them. As well as a dedicated pre, and possible good used CD player when I get the funds, I want to compare the stream vs CD. I don’t know if I’ll ever go phono or not.

My upgrade process was:

703’s & SB-2000
    Skylan stands
    HCA1500A & biwire S3 AVT3S
    Diamondback IC’s

MIT AVT 3 RCA ICs – on the way

Future:
    P5
    CD player

Hopefully this helped a little…Good Luck.

• gp4jesus
    ZD: Thanks for your heart.

I did not notice (read) you don't have your "home grown" any more. W/out them* for direct comparison you'd have very hard time hearing what makes your MITs different.

* regardless of system configuration

Enjoy! gpJ
  • RamZet wrote: »

RamZet - After connecting my MIT AVT3 ICs that I arrived today...your post is spot on!

Now I have to get my pre, source and streaming figured out.

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    after just a glance I didn't see anybody say "call Doug" http://douglasconnection.com/main.sc

I made some Furez cable I picked up from Doug and they did make a difference from the Monoprice cable I was using.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mrloren wrote: »
    after just a glance I didn't see anybody say "call Doug" http://douglasconnection.com/main.sc

I made some Furez cable I picked up from Doug and they did make a difference from the Monoprice cable I was using.

That is another possibility.

But for the fact I had S3 AVt3S speaker cables and won a set of AVt3 ICs for $50. I figured I couldn't go wrong... and for a total of $175 for both sets, I couldn't be happier with the sound I'm getting.

However I've only been exposed to my homebrew speaker cables/ICs, MIT AVt3 Speaker cables/ICs, and AQ Diamondback ICs so I don't have too much to compare with.

• ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    I would never recommend upgrading cables before upgrading to a good external amp. You'll hear more of a sonic upgrade with a new amp. Once you're good with that, then use new cables to fine tune your rig. You don't have to spend $500 on cabling right now. It just doesn't make sense. This is all, of course, IMHO.
    TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
    Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
    Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
    AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
  • gp4jesus
    edited April 2016
    ROHfan wrote: »
    I would never recommend upgrading cables before upgrading to a good external amp. You'll hear more of a sonic upgrade with a new amp. Once you're good with that, then use new cables to fine tune your rig. You don't have to spend $500 on cabling right now. It just doesn't make sense.
    GOSH! I wish I said that.
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    (January 9th) ZenDawg - my $0.02: I think you'd enjoy, to a much greater degree, improved SQ w/a power upgrade* w/those speakers than any cable - sorry I didn't chime in sooner.
    * and I don't mean power increase
    Oh that's right, I did!
    This is all, of course, IMHO.
    ...an opinion I happily, willingly, & humbly share.

Tony
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    I would never recommend upgrading cables before upgrading to a good external amp. You'll hear more of a sonic upgrade with a new amp. Once you're good with that, then use new cables to fine tune your rig. You don't have to spend $500 on cabling right now. It just doesn't make sense. This is all, of course, IMHO.

Somebody already had this opinion. Two same opinions are not allowed.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
This discussion has been closed.