Klipsch RB-5 ii

Options
Have a pair coming Wednesday. Lots of good reviews and looking forward to hearing some horns. Will post impressions.

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Do you have any vintage Polks?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Congrats and enjoy
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Do you have any vintage Polks?

I have a pair of RTA 8Ts and a pair of SDA 2Bs modded by Trey. That said, I have parted out them both out. Im strictly bookshelf now.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I stopped at 6 pairs of bookies that I have kept.
    (or rather I was stopped :# )
    I'd be interested in your impressions...
  • deronb1
    Options
    I stopped at 6 pairs of bookies that I have kept.
    (or rather I was stopped :# )
    I'd be interested in your impressions...

You are lucky. I have had a number come through here, but have only kept 1 pair. If i like these, ill probably keep what i am currently running as well. They have bested some pretty respected bookshelfs, on my gear and in my room.
  • deronb1
    Options
    RB -5 ii arrived Wed with no damage. Have had some time with these and I gotta say, these are plain ol fun speakers. Having never owned any Klipsch before, i wasnt sure what to expect. They had plenty of good reviews and the dudes over on the Klipsch forum spoke highly of them, but ya never really know till ya hear em.

Good size, 17 x 9 x 10 and 22 lbs ea, they are stout. Knock test revealed a solid thud. 8" woof and 6" horn. Big rear port, so i had to move forward a couple of inches. These have the best bass i have ever heard from a bookie. Also a nice mid bass kick that is fast and accurate.

I expected the horn to sound shrill, but its actually rather laid back, almost too much so.. Comparing with the B&W CDM 1nt, they held their own. Much better bass, but lacked the sweet mids and airy highs that the B&Ws possess. That said, its a fine sounding speaker on its own. They have a seductive quality that is enjoyable, with zero fatigue.

Also, these speakers image like crazy. Most vocals are dead center and sound like center channel in playing. Love that. Overall solid presentation and well worth the 265.00 delivered from Colorado.

I know klipsch doesnt get a lot of love here, for obvious reasons, but these are a blast. A LOT of energy in these things. 8 ohm, super easy to drive and a palpable bass at low volume. These would be a solid choice if you need a near full range sound from a bookie.

I did a lot of listening through the Marantz NA 7004 both CD and FLAC files, into the Onkyo TX SR 705, in "Pure A" mode, bypassing all calibration and no subs. Just a well blended sound that could do a smidge better with the mids, especially vocals, and could have a tad more air and bloom from the highs. Overall though a solid well rounded speaker for not a lot of cash. Im keepin em!
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Klipsch are pretty nice.
    I have a set of RF5 (tower versions of RB5) for my home theater and they are pretty good.
    Some amps do make them little brighter but that's exactly what's needed for dialogues.
    From Colorado? Probably from Matt? ;)

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • deronb1
    Options
    Mystery wrote: »
    Klipsch are pretty nice.
    I have a set of RF5 (tower versions of RB5) for my home theater and they are pretty good.
    Some amps do make them little brighter but that's exactly what's needed for dialogues.
    From Colorado? Probably from Matt? ;)

Ha! It was from Matt! Small world!