XLR vs RCA(and other things)

Options
I recently purchased a set of RTI a9s, and I'm running them with an onkyo tx nr 1030 receiver, through a cerwin vega cv 1800 amp.
Currently I'm using a 1/4" to RCA adapter from the amp to connect to the receiver.
My question is; when I switch to XLR cables, do I need to know anything in particular about pin orientation, cable brand, quality, etc? Or will any female to female XLR cable work?

Comments

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    Welcome dano0323, there are folks that truly believe that cheap cables are every bit as good as the higher priced cables and I used to be one of those folks. If you have good gear and are aiming to get the most out of it, don't skimp out in this area. I am not promoting any particular brand but the pros here may take time to chime in and recommend a good brand or 2??, I've come to learn that there are a lot of great choices out there. Flat out, you get what you pay for in life and there's no getting around that. You will not get the the same benefits out of cables sold at a music store (especially a store that specializes in instruments/not audio gear) as you will investing in higher end/quality audio XLS's. Not an investment that yields monetary gains, but gains in ear pleasure is a whole other category that some of us here do enjoy and take somewhat serious. Either way, welcome to the forum and hope it's as a rewarding experience here for you as it has been for me. Met some great people here and some I consider to be my friends. Enjoy.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    For good quality less expensive interconnects, check out Audio Arts and Signal cables.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Prior to EIA Standard RS-297-A, American companies used pin 3 "hot" and pin 2 "cold" while Japanese and European gear would wire pin 2 "hot" and pin 3 "cold." That's why some manufacturers print the info on rear of chassis or at least includes it in the manual. That way if you hook up vintage gear you have a heads up to make custom cables. Most times XLR's are board mounted in the chassis so there is no easy swapping pin 2 and 3 pin connections internally.

I currently use balanced Analog II IC's from Signal Cables. Some folks love Mogami wire XLR's. My 18 foot to amp XLR's are diy Belden E34972 cable.

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I'm using Nordost blue heaven xlrs in my system. I like them better than my older series heimdalls. These are very neutral cables, very smooth, not bright like everyone claims Nordost to be. These are also burned in by my dealer for 5 days before handing them over. A very good value as well, think I payed around 250 new for 1.5 meter xlr with neutrik connectors. Great value if you ask me.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    I'm using Nordost blue heaven xlrs in my system. I like them better than my older series heimdalls. These are very neutral cables, very smooth, not bright like everyone claims Nordost to be. These are also burned in by my dealer for 5 days before handing them over. A very good value as well, think I payed around 250 new for 1.5 meter xlr with neutrik connectors. Great value if you ask me.

I hear ya Mikey, I have nordost IC's and they work great in my chain. wouldn't swap em out for anything.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Using XLRs from my Jolida DAC/T to DSpeaker anti-mode has been an ear opening experience. Clean, flat and gets smoother the more I played them. Left the power on before I left so hopefully the sound will be heavenly when I get back after a month. Wireworld Silver Eclipse.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,649
    edited January 2016
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    gets smoother the more I played with them.

Careful, borderline offensive...

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options

Is there anything about Russ that isn't ? :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ken brydson
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

Is there anything about Russ that isn't ? :)

Touche'
  • lightman1
    Options
    Eff you both.....again. :p
    Ken has creative editing skills.
  • tonyb
    Options
    LOL....We can't help ourselves Russ, busting your chops is just so much darn fun. Matter of fact, tomorrow we'll do it all over again.....least until Linda posts up those pics you've been promising. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    LOL....We can't help ourselves Russ, busting your chops is just so much darn fun. Matter of fact, tomorrow we'll do it all over again.....least until Linda posts up those pics you've been promising. ;)

Just ensure you leave the discussion to the topic of XLR vs RCA and not other things. o:)

Other things ??

Like Knobs, mic's, discs, spikes, tweeters, binding posts ? That classifies as other things, no ? :p
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Teacher's Polk's Pet

Teachers-Pet.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • lightman1
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Linda has long red hair and really big bo obs. Is that considered other things? I have big speakers. I know what I like.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Who is Linda and why didn't you post a picture?

• Nightfall
    Options
    I wish I could...

...hear those new speakers of yours. ;)

• lightman1
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I wish I could...

...hear those new speakers of yours. ;)

Come on over. Doors always open. NC at its finest.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Have you written your thoughts on them somewhere? How do they compare to the many SDA's you have?

• lightman1
    Options
    My Jolida DAC thread in the 2 channel category.
    Boner sweet. Back to OPs questions though. PM me. ;)
  • ken brydson
    Options
    My Jolida DAC thread in the 2 channel category.
    Boner sweet. Back to OPs questions though. PM me. ;)

Can't believe boner isn't censored. I'm offended.