2 channel with our without subs, how do you listen

Options
I would prefer "pure direct" no subs but everything sounds better "straight" with the subs playing.

Comments

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited December 2015
    Options
    In my 2 channel system, I go back and forth. My svs is connected via RCA pre outs on my benchmark. Direct pure as there is no eq. Sometimes subs sometimes not, I've got it blending so nicely right now you wouldn't even know it was there.

In my theater direct pure in 2 channel stereo, full range, both subs playing.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    I use 2 subs and can adjust up and down as needed. I vote for subs
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    No sub necessary with the SDA-1Cs. B) They sound more natural, to me, without.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I rarely turn my sub on in the HT, and it certainly will not be in the stereo.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    I use 2 subs for everything I do including gaming, movies music etc. I see no reason not to use a sub/s as it completes the audio cycle. Why on earth would someone want to not hear everything that was recorded? It makes no sense to me.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    Both The upstairs and downstairs HT rigs subs are used, the 2 channel rig no sub necessary the 2.3tls have a good amount of bass, the 2B's are also not shy on the bass.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    2 channel has a DSW-MicroPro2000. It just rounds out the lower octaves when I listen to music with that content.

Home theater may be a little overboard as I currently run 2 SVS cylinders in the living room HT and plan on running 4 Stereo Integrity 18s and 4 Infinity 12s in the home theater.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Inspector 24
    Options
    Movies, Audessy on, subs on all the time. Audessy makes for a more balanced soundfield front to back and side to side for sound effects.

Music, it depends on my mood and the music. Sometimes they're off, sometimed they're turned up or down, some things sound better with Audessy on, most things are best Direct/Pure Direct.

Normally they just stay on as they blend so well I never hear a subwoofer playing, just musc.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    I use 2 subs for everything I do including gaming, movies music etc. I see no reason not to use a sub/s as it completes the audio cycle. Why on earth would someone want to not hear everything that was recorded? It makes no sense to me.

The 707's provide plenty of bass on their own but I guess I just dont like their sound anymore. They are fine in multi channel though.
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    I have a pair of RT-55's that I upgraded to "i" status by changing the tweeters. Anyway I have a stereo sub, bi-amp setup in the bedroom system. The preamp outs(*NOT the sub outs*) from mt Integra DTM-40.4 (*NOT the DTC-40.4-which is a surround receiver*) are going to the inputs of a pair of plexiglas PSW-200's. The high pass outputs are then going to a Carver TFM-25 amp. So the amp in the Integra is driving the tweeters in the RT-55's and the Carver is driving the woofers. The subs handle the low bass. They are turned way down so as to not overload the small bedroom.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    Years ago I used to think two channel direct was the way to go with a receiver for stereo listening. That changed with improved room correction and processing power built into more recent receivers. The music now just sounds more cohesive with the receiver doing the processing to adjust and blend speaker and subwoofer outputs to the room.

But, the best stereo music sound quality is still obtained for me with a dedicated two channel preamp system, no signal processing, and no subwoofer.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »

My 1.2TL's are so good down low, I don't even own a sub. Nothing ruins a soundtrack quite like overpowered bass.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    @nooshinjohn I have no complaints with HT, the setup is great for that. As for music I guess I will stick with running the subs, it makes the mains sound better in a way.
  • transchris
    Options
    Subs all the way!!!
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    1.2tls driven with bridged Mcintosh mc2500's and actively crossed at 70hz with an 18'' sub. Going active but staying well below the sda crossover point has also had an unexpected side effect of increasing the overall clarity of the big polks and is easily noticeable at all volume levels.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    2 subs for everything.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Depends what I listen to. Two 12" sealed subs are connected and on at all times, but they only supplement the 25-35Hz range. Nothing wrong with my speakers, 25Hz - 20KHz (+/- 1.5db) and plenty of amp.

My listening area is open to the main level, 14' ceilings, so 10,000+ cubic feet. SVS and Rythmik both say I should actually have two 15" subs. Adjusted and placed properly, a good quality sub or two in a two channel system will not harm sound quality, at all.

I think the critera should be what music do you listen to for lowest frequency of instruments used and do a room sweep and see if your system is +- 3dB or lower in that frequency range. If it's several dB low or more, you are missing part of what you listen to.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Depends what I listen to. Two 12" sealed subs are connected and on at all times, but they only supplement the 25-35Hz range. Nothing wrong with my speakers, 25Hz - 20KHz (+/- 1.5db) and plenty of amp.

My listening area is open to the main level, 14' ceilings, so 10,000+ cubic feet. SVS and Rythmik both say I should actually have two 15" subs. Adjusted and placed properly, a good quality sub or two in a two channel system will not harm sound quality, at all.

I think the critera should be what music do you listen to for lowest frequency of instruments used and do a room sweep and see if your system is +- 3dB or lower in that frequency range. If it's several dB low or more, you are missing part of what you listen to.

I have my sub blended so well with my mains, that you really only know its there by switching it off. It only supplements the lower frequency range as yours do.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    Use my Infinity Servo 210 about half the time for two channel and 2B's. It's the sub I purchased with the SDA 2B's in my past life.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited January 2016
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Ha! :) Fox...your system does not count. $30K , aluminum 190lbs each enclosures, two 10" bass drivers per side....powered by two $18K each 600 watt Pass monoblocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enough said!

I doubt anyone here would need subs with that setup. As the saying goes....we are not mad at you! LOL! If one did require subs...now we are talking $30K for two Magico S-Subs or $7.4K for two Fathoms or $30K for two Gothams, $10K-$30K for two,four, six REL Gibraltar G-1's, or some crazy custom setup, etc, etc$$$$.

Its all subjective and relative to the system and room at hand.

I'm sure the sub lovers would be fine without one if they could have a dedicated room with something like these full range monsters in it.

MM3_blk.jpg

Legacy_Aeris_AVM.jpg

Well, one does not have to go that crazy....I'm sure there are some affordable almost full range....and even DIY designs that low end lovers would be happy with.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PIK-htho-8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmschOZEDsk

Maybe someday I will finally build them? I do like a nice warm low end and some midbass kick! :)
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • recoveryone
    Options
    2ch in the living room no sub, the Fluance SX's provided enough for mild to low listening
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    Subs most of the time. My subs have different EQs that i can tweak to blend well with all types of music.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    No subs needed here. This is the first time I've used an open baffle set up. Four 15" woofer/mids. Bi-amped with electronic x-over and some room correction. Different speakers and different tastes. That's what makes this hobby fun.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited January 2016
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

I have my sub blended so well with my mains, that you really only know its there by switching it off. It only supplements the lower frequency range as yours do.

Most excellent! As it should be!

I've had forum folks over who have said I don't need subs. Until I stick Michael Murray plays Bach on The Great Organ at Methuen. Or Skrillex / Bangarang. B)

EDIT: Keeping it clean, it's for real...lol

R-6450034-1419592445-2426.jpeg.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *