which of the hookups on the back of the RTi-A3 to use?

Options
Hi all, I just bought the RTi-A3. I haven't gotten them yet, but I know there are 4 hookups on the back for my speaker wire. I read the manual online and it doesn't clearly tell me which of those 4 hookups to use. which do I use?

www.jvpix.com

Comments

• baneling
    Options
    wow, that was quick. thanks for the reply. the manual also talks about banana plugs but says its for US customers only. I'm in Canada. Does that mean I shouldn't use them? if so, why not?

also, I haven't gotten a receiver yet, but I'm using my very old Sony STR-D1090 receiver. will this old receiver harm the speakers in any way? here is a link to this receiver:

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sony/str-d1090.shtml

www.jvpix.com
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    But, if you just want to get them up and running and listen to some tunes, unscrew the caps enough to expose the hole through each threaded post, insert bare wire, and tighten the caps. That'll do the trick.

Welcome to CP!
  • seabeerob213
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    baneling wrote: »
    wow, that was quick. thanks for the reply. the manual also talks about banana plugs but says its for US customers only. I'm in Canada. Does that mean I shouldn't use them? if so, why not?

also, I haven't gotten a receiver yet, but I'm using my very old Sony STR-D1090 receiver. will this old receiver harm the speakers in any way? here is a link to this receiver:

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sony/str-d1090.shtml

In Canada, people are used to shoveling snow, so they prefer spades. To satisfy the need for spades, the government passed a law outlawing banana plugs. They mandated that bananas are a food and should not be used for audio connections. :o

Welcome to the Polk Audio Forum. Banana plugs are perfectly fine.

Wouldn't a flat shovel or snow shovel be a lot more effective? Lol
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • baneling
    Options
    What center speaker is best with the rtia3?

www.jvpix.com
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    CsiA4 is the match if your going to use the A3's as fronts
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • baneling
    Options
    what specs of the two speakers have to match for them to be the proper pair?

www.jvpix.com
  • gudnoyez
    Options
    The CsiA4 is the matching center for the RTIA series, I used one with my A5's and A3's but after the advice of fellow members I moved up to the bigger CsiA6. If you keep those A3's as your fronts then the A4 will be fine but if you plan oh putting the A3's to the rear and use the A5's, A7s, or A9s as fronts then get the A6 as your center.

Knowing your intentions and what gear your going to throw into the mix assuming your going for a HT set up only, give us a bit more information on your intentions that would help immensely.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    The tweeters and midrange speakers should match. Ideally, the center speaker would be another RTiA3 in your case.

You really should provide more explanation for your recommendation to the OP, especially when the speaker you're suggesting usually comes in pairs, and may not physically fit in many traditional setups.
  • baneling
    baneling Posts: 53
    edited December 2015
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    The CsiA4 is the matching center for the RTIA series, I used one with my A5's and A3's but after the advice of fellow members I moved up to the bigger CsiA6. If you keep those A3's as your fronts then the A4 will be fine but if you plan oh putting the A3's to the rear and use the A5's, A7s, or A9s as fronts then get the A6 as your center.

Knowing your intentions and what gear your going to throw into the mix assuming your going for a HT set up only, give us a bit more information on your intentions that would help immensely.

I will eventually buy a 80-100 watt (20hz - 20khz, 2ch driven) AV receiver and I will use this mainly for movies/TV and some music. and I will also buy a subwoofer and probably rear in-wall speakers.

www.jvpix.com
  • gudnoyez
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I assume then that you will be running a 5.1 system only what subwoofer do you plan on getting? Honesty I would get a beefier AVR with preouts in case you want to add bigger speakers in the future what's your budget on a AVR? Those A3's are some pretty nice speakers give them some power.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• baneling
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    I assume then that you will be running a 5.1 system only what subwoofer do you plan on getting? Honesty I would get a beefier AVR with preouts in case you want to add bigger speakers in the future what's your budget on a AVR? Those A3's are some pretty nice speakers give them some power.

I don't know what sub I will get. the budget on the AVR is about $500-600. why do I need pre-outs? if I get bigger speakers, then don't I just replace the speakers with the bigger ones? How much power should the AVR have? Can you give me an example of one? keep in mind my family room is about 13x18 feet. the TV is on the 13 foot wall and the main couch is on the opposite wall.

www.jvpix.com
  • gudnoyez
    Options
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_580TXN838/Onkyo-TX-NR838.html?tp=179&awkw=75645349945&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=47709472105&awdv=m

I Paid $1100 for mine it's $99 over your budget but so worth it 3D pass Dolby Atmos ready more than enough power to run what you plan plus it's got preouts should you want an external amp to run bigger speakers if you chose to. At $400 off that's a heck of an AVR at that price.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• baneling
    Options
    isn't that too much power? my family room isn't that big. plus I'm sure that price is in US dollars. after tax and conversion, its over my price range. I was going to buy the Onkyo TX-NR646 but then decided to get new speakers instead cause my paradigm titan v1 are not working properly. they make a rattling sound.

www.jvpix.com
  • baneling
    Options
    baneling wrote: »

Now is a good time to take advantage of the Boxing day sales in Canada.

I did take advantage of boxing day sales. that's how I bought the polks. :smiley:

www.jvpix.com