Amplifier upgrade from 5802

Hi all,

The past few years I have been using a 5802 for Music/HT. While it has performs very well for both I got the upgrade bug. I'm was thinking of replacing it for a more "musical" amplifier that can power LSi15s. Can anyone recommend me a brand/model for around $2k.

Thanks...

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    McCormack
    Butler
    Belles
    Pass
    Bat
    Musical Fidelity

to name a few...
    5 channel or 2 ? New or used ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • acmf74
    acmf74 Posts: 936
    Preferably used 2ch thanks
  • tonyb
    Any one of the brands I mentioned can be had used at or under your price range. All are way more musical than the Adcom.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • That Adcom is a very musical amp in it's own right.It was one of the few from that era that I actually liked that didn't posess the trademark sterile Adcom sound.
    Here are a some more suggestions.
    Sunfire
    NAD
    Rotel
    PS Audio
    Parasound
    Arcam
    Marantz
    Bryston
    Denon
    Onkyo
  • Oh yeah and Carver of course
  • I haven't yet put this back into my system for use:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/165663/fs-parasound-hca-3500-1400#latest
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• Mcintosh
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm <3:smiley:
  • acmf74
    Thanks for the replies.

The forum has some positive comments on the Parasound A21.

Anyone use the amp before?
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    tonyb wrote: »
    Any one of the brands I mentioned can be had used at or under your price range. All are way more musical than the Adcom.

Not so sure this is a true statement and know it's not a true statement for some of those you listed.

The 5802 is a superb amp. You'll be hard pressed to find something on Tony's list that bests it by a lot and some from his list will fall short.

Be careful replacing the 5802 you might actually take a step backwards or at best a step sideways.

But I'm all for experimenting and/or shaking the "sound" up a bit.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited December 2015
    I was reading a different list from Honestquarian when I wrote the above.

Still Tony's list has some formidable amps that may not best the 5802 by a lot, except perhaps the Pass option. The BAT option will certainly give a different flavor.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tonyb
    I think you've had too much eggnog Brock. lol

While I can agree the 5802 is a good amp, and a cut above some of Adcom's other offerings, just isn't in the same league as the ones I mentioned. My opinion of course, yours is obviously different.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    The A21 is very hard to beat in it's price range and hangs with many 2 to 3 times it's price. I have one and find it to be very fine paired with a P5 pre. I am sure it can drive the Lsi15's.

I am not sure it makes IMO to drive the 15's with a $6K amp. You may want to look at a Peachtree Integrated or a Used Musical Fidelity in that price range that can handle the 4 ohm 15's.

The Peachtree Nova 220 SE is a very nice package. You did not mention a budget.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • heiney9
    I think you've had too much eggnog Brock. lol

While I can agree the 5802 is a good amp, and a cut above some of Adcom's other offerings, just isn't in the same league as the ones I mentioned. My opinion of course, yours is obviously different.

Nah Tony, it's better than you think. It's more than a cut above other Adcom's. But yes, we can agree to disagree.

I guess my point to the OP is the next selection needs a bit of review, because the 5802 IS that good. No one want's to move sideways is my point.

If we were talking 555 or 5800, I'd agree but the 5802 holds it's own and then some.

H9

Haven't had a lick of egg nog :-)
  • heiney9
    edited December 2015
    If the OP is just looking for something different, not nec looking to move up the ladder then some that have been mentioned will power the 15's.

Are you wanting to upgrade simply to change something out because you're bored or is there an inherent issue with what you are hearing?

There are a couple Pass Aleph 30's FS here and I'd certainly throw that in the ring for 2 channel if you are really looking to step it up. It's not going to be as "balls to the wall" as the 5802 as far as sheer volume, but I have found it's more than up to the task and I know it mates well with the GFP-750 and sound sublime on LSi's.

H9

P.s. Don't even consider the Emo, the 5802 walks all over it.

• Any thoughts on how the Paradound 3500 compares to the Adcom 5802?
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    If the OP is listen to music with the AVR, maybe a 2 channel tube preamp to listen to music with? or something with HT bypass to take it up a notch when using together with the 5802?
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • acmf74
    The 5802 does both HT and 2 channel very well. I'm using the GFP-750 for the HT bypass and 2 channel functionality.

Since I have had it for a few years now I wanted to see what the forums recommendations were for a more "musical" amp that can power the LSi15s as the 5802 does well.

It's not that I don't enjoy the amp, I just would like to try something else.

Mark Levinson, Krell, etc etc

• tonyb
    For a Mark Levinson amp, look at a used Proceed, built by ML and solid as a rock with excellent SQ. Krell's also solid, balls to the walls power but a tad sterile sounding to my ears. May be a good match though for the laid back presentation of the LSI's.

Still think if you want "different", the McCormack is a fine choice. It will have more tonal righteousness, a more layering of the bass notes, better detail, and no fatiguing highs. If that's something that interests you, give it a whirl. If the brand doesn't float your boat, resale on them is still good so I doubt you'd lose anything.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    For a Mark Levinson amp, look at a used Proceed, built by ML and solid as a rock with excellent SQ. Krell's also solid, balls to the walls power but a tad sterile sounding to my ears. May be a good match though for the laid back presentation of the LSI's.

Still think if you want "different", the McCormack is a fine choice. It will have more tonal righteousness, a more layering of the bass notes, better detail, and no fatiguing highs. If that's something that interests you, give it a whirl. If the brand doesn't float your boat, resale on them is still good so I doubt you'd lose anything.

Solid recommendation, but if you are looking at ML or Krell, the older stuff is the better stuff. ML and Krell today are not really the same companies they were 10-15 years ago. Classic ML and Krell is the older stuff.

Also one to look at is the older Classe stuff.

H9
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I would recommend a Parasound A31 three channel amp with the LSi series.
  • acmf74
    Thanks for all the replies.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    how about a used Ayre....
  • acmf74
    I see a few ML No.27 for sale. What would be a fair price on them?

• heiney9
    edited June 2016
    nm.........already stated
  • acmf74
    I had the 5802 for many years... I would like to try something different.

• Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Personally, I would look at getting a tube preamp with HT bypass to replace the 750 preamp, before replacing the amp. I think it would go further to get the increased musicality you are looking for. I don't really see using a tube amp as a good option since you are using this for HT also, which means having the amp on for many hours. This could require a lot of maintenance and wear and tear on the tube amp. I think a good tube pre will give you a bigger increase in musicality than another solid state amp in your price range.
  • acmf74
    Thats next on my list..
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    I would consider putting it first on your list than see if you still want to change the amp afterwards. You may be fine after going with a tube pre.
  • tonyb
    Dawgfish wrote: »
    Personally, I would look at getting a tube preamp with HT bypass to replace the 750 preamp, before replacing the amp. I think it would go further to get the increased musicality you are looking for. I don't really see using a tube amp as a good option since you are using this for HT also, which means having the amp on for many hours. This could require a lot of maintenance and wear and tear on the tube amp. I think a good tube pre will give you a bigger increase in musicality than another solid state amp in your price range.

Good points, don't think I'd be looking at tubed amps either if HT use was in the picture.

If your dead set on trying another amp, I'd be looking in the McCormack direction. Much more musical than the Adcoms, and you won't be wanting for slam either.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • acmf74
    I picked up a Mark Levinson N0. 27 and I like what I'm hearing. Compared to the 5802 the ML has more of everything.

Tighter low end bass, excellent mids and a tad bit more extended highs.

Again for the money the 5802 is not too far behind. For the money it is a no brainer.