Questions On Using dBpoweramp

I just downloaded the trial version of dbpoweramp and have some questions on setting up the CD Ripper.

The default FLAC Encoder Setting is "Level 5". Has anyone compared the other options like "Level 0" and "Level 8"?

I've read somewhere on this forum that "ReplayGain" should not be used. Could someone explain?

Is dbpoweramp just a ripper? In other words, do I need another program to use as a player for the ripped files?

Any advice/guidance/suggestions would be appreciated. thanks, don
Speakers: Polk SDA-SRS xovers rebuilt by David, RDO194's, Dynamat, BH5, glued magnets, new cloth, custom aluminum terminal plates with Cardas posts and Speakon interconnect
Speaker Cables, Jumpers & Interconnect: DIY Douglas Connection
Power Amp: Sunfire Architect's Choice Series II
Preamp: Adcom GFP-750
SACD/CD: Oppo BDP-95
Tuner: Sansui TU-717
TT: Technics SL-MA1
Phono Pre: Emotiva XPS-1
Music Server: Mac Mini w/JRiver - iPad w/JRemote
DAC: Eastern Electric MiniMax Plus
Other Polks: SDA: 1A, 1C, 2B, CRS+ / Monitor: 10A, 5jr, 4 / RT5

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    The compression level makes the files smaller. The higher the compression level, with 8 being the highest level, the smaller the file. It does take longer to compress the file more and longer to expand it. However, quality with all flac levels is the same as the original file.

Take a read on this thread from dbpoweramp forum about Replay Gain.

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?25099-Not-sure-I-understand-ReplayGain-options-when-ripping

Quote from post 5.

"Almost all RG adjustments will LOWER volume as most CDs these days are suffering from the loudness war in mastering. So that is normal. Keep in mind that the basic RG DSP simply adds RG fields to the tags of a file AND DOES NOT CHANGE THE AUDIO CONTENT. In my opinion this is what you want. Otherwise you are modifying the actual audio and your FLAC files are no longer lossless relative to original CD. Many players USE these RG tags to automatically adjust the volume (there are album and track RG tags, you want to add both when ripping).

Volume Normalization will take the RG info and actually change the audio stream (no longer equivalent to original). This is used when your player can't read the (nondestructive) RG tags. This could be true for your car player. Don't know. But I would never use volume normalize on my primary lossless files. You might want to create an MP3 library from these FLAC files, use volume normalize on these, and then use these in your car. It is fairly rare to be able to ABX a good high bitrate mp3 file from a lossless file in optimum situations. So mp3 files should be more than enough for a car, no matter how good the car system.

EDIT> if your ARCHOS player can read RG tags, you do NOT want/need volume normilization, simply add the RG tags, and turn on the setting in the Archos to use RG tags. "
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *