Lenco PTP5 Idler Drive Turntable Build

Options
SCompRacer
SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
edited December 2015 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Aaron's (ALL212) brother Craig called and said he has some good size chunks of walnut for me. The wood is sourced from their dad's property, aged and cut up. It's difficult to find really wide pieces, this one is 15" wide.

ptp5_01.jpg

I got the crotch walnut for my Bottlehead Eros base from him and really loved the way it looks.

bh_eros_13a.jpg

The PTP5 consists of two stainless steel plates that separate the motor from platter bearing. The original Lenco had a one piece stamped top plate. Weather permitting I'll trek to Wisconsin to get the materials and start building. I'll re-use the Advanced Analog MG-1 linear air bearing arm currently on my first Lenco.

Now that I have a speed controller (Phoenix Engineering 25 watt beta) I can proceed. The PTP5 is more conducive to a fixed idler position so if you want 33 and 45, a controller works best.

The build will consist of a Baltic Birch stack topped and wrapped with walnut from the same tree.

ptp5_02.jpg

ptp5_03.jpg

The modded top plate from my first diy Lenco L75.

Lenco_4.jpg

I got the maple with walnut accents to wrap my previous table from Craig too, all from his dad's farm. I got tired of the all black finish. Now I want my table to match my phono pre.

lenco_wrapped.jpg
Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

Comments

• BlueMDPicker
    Options
    Can't wait to see the next masterpiece.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Can't wait to see the next masterpiece.

That's going to be absolutely beautiful
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • BlueMDPicker
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Weather permitting I'll trek to Wisconsin to get the materials and start building.

I'm thinking the next thread could be "Rich Has Wood". :D
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Looks like a very good Winter project, looking forward to the finished product!
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    Thanks for the votes of confidence! Some assembly required...lol

ptp5_04.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Hurry up...........
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2016
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Hurry up...........

I'm trying!

Heat wave today compared to prior days. It was 33F / .55C so I got into the garage to make a mess. Cell phone pics so not the best quality.

I did some corner accents with maple. Arron's brother has a diy corner accent attachment for his table saw.

ptp5_04a.jpg

I used a zero kerf saw to trim maple and sanded it flush.

ptp5_04b.jpg

I made a circle cutter attachment for my router to cut a hole in top to recess the platter part way. I used a fluted bit and it worked great. Going in a circle you hit grain from all directions.

ptp5_05.jpg

I routed some material out between the corners to follow my Eros phono pre amp base design. I had to do multiple cuts due to the thickness.

ptp5_06.jpg

ptp5_07.jpg

Before cutting top hole I attached first layer of Baltic Birch to top plate with screws. After determining where MG-1 arm would go, I positioned platter accordingly and drilled a pilot hole through both so I keep the PTP5 bearing plate in the right place.

ptp5_08.jpg

With knots I fill them with epoxy then plane the fix flat. Any minor imperfections will be filled with my version of wood color sanding. You apply Tung oil varnish, sand and squeegee the mix into flaws and imperfections. Once dry, sand and repeat until you won't notice it.

This repair held the knot together when I routed out the top hole. I just have some fill to do where I opened up the knot on the edge, where the platter will hide it anyway.

ptp5_09.jpg

Next up cutting the layers with the PTP5 pattern. When I'm not sure....
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Options
    That's going to be beautimous!
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    I admire projects like this, wish I had the skills and patience, to do something like this right.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Looking forward to seeing/hearing what becomes of this Rich. How many moons have you owned the PTP5 plate? Know you've had this idea simmering for some time now...
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    agfrost wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing/hearing what becomes of this Rich. How many moons have you owned the PTP5 plate? Know you've had this idea simmering for some time now...

Me too! Lots of stuff here you ain't heard.

Start counting moons ~ April 2012.