Monster Cable Powerline 2 Plus | Dress-up and Termination

Options
msg
msg Posts: 9,430
edited December 2015 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Earlier this year, I picked up a pair of older cables from a member who was clearing out his stash - Monster Cable Powerline 2 Plus - Time Coherent Precision Wound High Current Speaker Cable with Bass Control Conductor (say that three times fast). This would be my first step in cable exploration. I decided just recently to dress them up a bit.

I've used these cables recently with a small tube integrated, and some Monitor 5JR+, and it sounds particularly nice with select genres like chick singery folk/country-ish stuff. Bass heavier electronic stuff isn't too bad either, but rock, not so great. I think the limitations are due more to the bass limitation of the 5JR+es, but well recorded pieces do sound particularly nice. Was thinking about upgrading the crossover components in the 5JR's at some point to see if they can do any better.

This is a slight excursion from building the cable kits I ordered from Douglas Connection. I'm still working on those in my "spare" time. Everything I've learned about building cables so far is based off of what Doug's shared with me and through the instructions included with his kits, along with a few tips & tricks here and there. Also picked up a few ideas from talks with other members like Voltz and F1.

OE Cable; Monster Powerline 2 Plus
lq6z2pr2v8nl.jpg

Sleeving installed, free end length measured, marked, prepping for jacket removal
pk2gtz9i7qyk.jpg

Jacket removed, conductors exposed
x80n10h46lhx.jpg

Conductor heatshrink measured/installed, ready for heat
(I was running low on the red heatshrink so you can see in the next photo after this one where I switched to black heatshrink for both. It was fine for this application, because the conductors are going to be covered by the cable pants/boot. If you end up using Techflex on the conductors as well as the jacket, it's kinda neat to have black and a red conductor, because it shows through the Techflex a little.)
1alqhyi8bmyx.jpg

Techflex Remix Fire 1/2" Sleeving installed and terminated with adhesive-lined heatshrink.
I'm experimenting with a "pinch" here at the end of the heatshrink where the conductors come out of the jacket while the heatshrink is still warm. This seals the end of the jacket and isolates and seals the conductors. I think it looks neater this way should you choose to go no further with dress. I will sometimes put Cable Pants/Boots over this, but I do this heatshrink step anyway just in case I ever want to pull off the CB/B.
ab7cbwrcabre.jpg

d2xa85ycgyim.jpg

The KnuKoncepts Cable Pants/Boots I've been using
ctj3qwxcrlmt.jpg

u6s2mhvbx03m.jpg

Cable Pants/Boot installed, and terminated with heatshrink on sleeving side.
Additional gray band on one side of cable only, to indicate cable direction.
okfqyt3t1qsq.jpg

Conductor insulation removal; banana plug installed
I place a measure of heatshrink over the connector and under cable pants for strain relief[/b]
s2wmieu5avmn.jpg

Heatshrink installed over connectors
cnkkuovgne1s.jpg

lbynxuvfftqw.jpg

Finished Cable Set
There's another step here I don't have a better photo of, but you can see in this finished cables photo where I used another measure of heatshrink over the connector barrels and cable pants/boots. I'm still working on a preferred build process, but this step seals everything up, and provides additional strain relief
9ujy7ldb7jv7.jpg
I disabled signatures.

Comments