Let's Talk About Ferrofluid

Options
Nightfall
Nightfall Posts: 10,067
edited December 2015 in Speakers
Specifically, what exactly happens when it "dries up", evaporates, or whatever it does. Does this affect the actual sound of the tweeter in question or just the power handling? Why aren't tweeters sealed so that the Ferrofluid doesn't escape? ...or are some of them? Can Ferrofluid be replaced? Any other thoughts?

Edit: I'm directly referring to the original Peerless tweeters, if that makes a difference. I'd assume the conversation would be the same no matter which tweeter we're talking about though.
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Comments

• honestaquarian
    Options
    My understanding is that Ferrofluid is magnetic,low viscosity fluid that doesn't evaporate.Maybe asking Polk would be better.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    @KennethSwauger Do you have an understanding of this subject?

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I believe what happens is the surfactant coating of the microscopic particles eventually breaks down and the particles start clumping together, resulting in a change in the viscosity and a reduction in the damping action of the fluid. From what I gather heat is a significant cause of the surfactant breaking down over time.
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    So it's kind of like what happens to motor oil over time.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Has anyone tried taking apart a Peerless tweeter and cleaning and replacing the fluid?

I have one pair from a real beat up pair of RTA-12's I found on Craigslist. 2 of the midwoofers were frozen and the cabs looked like they'd been thrown down a flight of stairs followed by being used at a frat party. I suspect the tweeters were abused, they might make good subjects for me to experiment on. Any thoughts on using Parts Express ferrofluid vs whatever the original fluid was vs cleaning and leaving no fluid?

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    It turns to a sludge after some years. I haven't worked on a Peerless, but you'll want to remove the dome to gain access to where the ferrofluid should be, which is the outer edges. Clean out whatever is left, then add a small amount of new. As far as I know ferrofluid is all the same.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• seabeerob213
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    It turns to a sludge after some years. I haven't worked on a Peerless, but you'll want to remove the dome to gain access to where the ferrofluid should be, which is the outer edges. Clean out whatever is left, then add a small amount of new. As far as I know ferrofluid is all the same.

Is anything in this really, the same? Pretty blanket statement
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • F1nut
    Options
    What's your question, Rob?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Saying that it's all the same sounds kind of similar to the people who say that all speaker wire performs the same, or all motor oil is the same. Not trying to say you're wrong, or right, just that with all the subtle and dramatic differences in audio, I have a hard time wrapping my head around anything being the same, unless it is in fact, the same thing, such as 2 speakers, that rolled off production sequentially.
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • F1nut
    Options
    I did qualify my comment with, As far as I know.....

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    There are different viscosities. Which one Peerless used is anyone's guess.
    https://ferrofluid.ferrotec.com/products/ferrofluid/audio/audioSelect
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • littlewoodboats
    Options
    I have heard of ferrofluid of course but have never heard it explained. It is for cooling purposes? Can someone tell me what it is made of or how it is made?

• Nightfall
    Options
    Any new viscosity has to be closer to original than sludge. ;)

• westmassguy
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »

True, but how do you remove magnetic sludge from the gap between the pole piece and the surrounding magnet?
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • westmassguy
    Options
    I have heard of ferrofluid of course but have never heard it explained. It is for cooling purposes? Can someone tell me what it is made of or how it is made?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrofluid
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Should check out the videos on YouTube of ferro fluid sculptures. Super cool!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Nightfall
    Options

True, but how do you remove magnetic sludge from the gap between the pole piece and the surrounding magnet?

I don't know. Any ideas? Some Googling lead me to this, he uses a q-tip, alcohol, and what looks like masking tape? Skip to 17:35 maybe you know what it is for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtfqarUiFhw

• littlewoodboats
    Options
    Thanks Dave. Interesting article. It seems the magnetic properties of the nano particles actually change with temperature. As the fluid closest to the magnet structure increases in temperature the magnetism reduces causing the warmer fluid to migrate away from the magnet where it can cool. Pretty cool considering it was first developed as a zero G fuel.
  • westmassguy
    Options

I don't know. Any ideas? Some Googling lead me to this, he uses a q-tip, alcohol, and what looks like masking tape? Skip to 17:35 maybe you know what it is for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtfqarUiFhw

Looks like painters tape.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • westmassguy
    Options
    Thanks Dave. Interesting article. It seems the magnetic properties of the nano particles actually change with temperature. As the fluid closest to the magnet structure increases in temperature the magnetism reduces causing the warmer fluid to migrate away from the magnet where it can cool. Pretty cool considering it was first developed as a zero G fuel.

Cooling and damping properties.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • littlewoodboats
    Options

Cooling and damping properties.

Yes, and it changes its magnetic state with temperature to self rotate to aid in its own cooling. Fascinating stuff

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Seems to me if the ferrofluid was meant to be changed, it would have a drain plug and a dipstick. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    Options
    I was researching this subject as a few of my speakers are past the 20 year mark and wondering if anyone here has actually changed out the ferrofluid in their tweeters? If so what changes did you notice? I have taken other 20+ year old tweeters apart and found an abundant amount of what appeared to be normal viscosity ferrofluid. It seems to be pretty stable and would imagine extreme heat to be its worst enemy. Or fluid made of poor quality if there is such a thing.
  • zarrdoss
    Options
    OK I decided to just crack one open and have a look. Still fluid in them but you can definitely tell where it has leaked out. I will probably just get some new and replace it in both and not have to worry about it for 20 more years.
    P1030610_zps89rerus2.jpg
    P1030611_zpsqgbeicvk.jpg
  • zarrdoss
    Options
    I also pulled my Sony ES SS M7 apart and found no fluid in the VC gap or on the VC itself, it has all ran to the back of the magnet, I think because of their sloped front baffle, and the fluid itself has broke down over time. It is safe to say that yes ferrofluid should be something to consider in 20+ year old speakers. B&W recommends changing it every 10 years from what I hear. And from reading some reviews of the stuff they sell at Parts Express B&W even recommended buying it from there to a customer. Out of all the mods we do here this should be an easy one and crucial.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Since this thread has been resurrected and since the original question was primarily in regards to the original Peerless tweeter I asked Ken, who asked Stu and the answer is no ferrofuild in the original Peerless.

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Options
    That is interesting... thanks for the leg work Jesse.