SDA 3.1 grills and panels needed

DollarDave
DollarDave Posts: 2,575
edited December 2015 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
I've finished my 3.1's with all the internal upgrades, so now the exteriors need attention. I'm interested in a complete set of grills and panels - my cabinets are in great shape, but the prior owner misplaced the panels at some point after intending to change the cloth color or something...who knows, that's what he said...

Comments

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    That really sucks Dave, I got rid of all that about a year ago.. :/
  • DollarDave
    Other than the cabinets, they sound fantastic. I have 4.1TL's, and 2BTL's to compare to and the 3.1's (even naked) are in the rotation to stay. Amazing Bass.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    DaveMuell wrote: »
    Other than the cabinets, they sound fantastic. I have 4.1TL's, and 2BTL's to compare to and the 3.1's (even naked) are in the rotation to stay. Amazing Bass.

Yes, the 3.1's are a keeper for me also, in my current set-up they are bettering my 2.3TL's in some respects.

I made the grill frames for my 3.1's, it took a little work, but very duable.
  • DollarDave
    What did you use - Mdf or plywood or ?
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    I used 1x4 Poplar, had to plain it down to a 5/8-9/16 thickness, cut all the pieces to length, glued and screwed together, cut out the excess from the frame rails,ran a router down the outer edges and that's about it, besides drill the holes for the grill tabs.

Plywood or MDF would be an easier solution, and it might be the best material to use, but I didn't have access to MDF in the proper thickness and I just didn't think Plywood would be strong enough as the width of the frame styles and rails is pretty narrow.

I had an original frame to use as a template which made the process much easier.