A year in the making of...

After acquiring my first set of SDASRS, I wanted another set as they are awesome to listen too but more importantly, I have 2 kids and I wanted to give each a set that I had enjoyed over the years. The first step was crossovers and then I acquired some plates frome Trey but I wanted something like the original design but updated.
Fortunately, this time last year, I was talking to my neighbors son and he showed me a piston cup he made from aluminum. I liked it and immediately asked if he could make me speaker plates. I provided the plate from a speaker and let him take it with him. I was a bit nervous giving it to him as a month down the road he didn't recall me giving it to him. Turns out he forgot it at home and all was good. It wasn't long and he had a sample plate. It was a good plate but some of the details I explained to him must have been forgotten somewhere between girls and beers. I wish I could have been there to help him and answers questions because he wouldn't check in with me, and this could have shortened the time. I also provided him text messages to confirm my details of plates, engraving, layout, but he must have not used them as notes. It was a struggle to get him to respond and I almost gave up about 2 months ago.
Well, I got them 2 weeks ago and spent a day and a half sanding and enlarging the holes for binding posts. I then thought about painting them black but the engraving wasn't very deep so I polished them a bit and colored the engraving. I did these for my 3 SDA speakers as I think those are worth the time and money spent for many years to come. I do have a few more Polk speakers but I may or may not do the plates on them. It was a challenge getting these but the best part is that the hard part is finished as he has the program saved and he still owes me a few more plates. Take a look and I hope you like them as much as I do!

image_zpsanotpjpp.jpg
First plate. On this one he forgot that I wanted to change the interconnect cable and didnt use the new size.

image_zpsuhzjwlzi.jpeg
A pic of plate w Cardas single binding post insulator.

image_zpsgbitppes.jpeg
The final product from him. Nicely machined parts.

image_zpsf77g1nij.jpeg
Sanded and burrs removed w holes enlarged.

image_zpskiimplet.jpeg
Backside of plate where NL4 connector pops in very snug.

image_zpszep6xg4t.jpeg
Oil paint added to engraving.

image_zpsbzfql5jl.jpeg
All finished!

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    How much for a set of these for my SDA 1.2tl's.... I NEED a set of these!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nikonik
    nikonik Posts: 120
    Nice!

Thanks Ken. I dig your avatar.
  • nikonik
    How much for a set of these for my SDA 1.2tl's.... I NEED a set of these!

How thick is your wallet? JK! At moment, I can't say as it could be a while before I see my other sets. Perhaps I should throw more money at him to entice him to work faster.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    There's probably several people here that would be interested...
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,342
    Nice work! High marks!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    Nightfall wrote: »
    There's probably several people here that would be interested...
    These could become as popular as Larry's rings.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    Nice!

How did you attach the SpeakOn socket?
    Sanded and burrs removed w holes enlarged

That looks like it was a lot of work. Sanded by hand, machine? Why didn't he punch the binding post holes through?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Those are beautiful
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • nikonik
    F1nut wrote: »
    Nice!

How did you attach the SpeakOn socket?

It snaps in and hopefully glue will hold them in better. I have tried the male connector and it's all good. It could be drilled and attached better or tapped part way and bolted. Time will tell.
    Sanded and burrs removed w holes enlarged

That looks like it was a lot of work. Sanded by hand, machine? Why didn't he punch the binding post holes through?

This is where he didn't hear or listen what I was requesting but it will be done all the way through on future sets. At one point he lost the insulator and I sent him another one. Bumps in the road but the journey was worth it.
  • F1nut
    edited December 2015
    It snaps in and hopefully glue will hold them in better. I have tried the male connector and it's all good. It could be drilled and attached better or tapped part way and bolted. Time will tell.

Well, I like the clean look from the rear mounting, but for me, it would need to be screwed in place. There's no way glue would hold with the cable I use.

Was all that sanding done by hand or machine?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nikonik

Well, I like the clean look from the rear mounting, but for me, it would need to be screwed in place. There's no way glue would hold with the cable I use.

Was all that sanding done by hand or machine?

A little bit of both. I used an attachment w drill on center and bench sander on outer ridge. In between the ridge and center, it was by hand. My hands were very busy as I wanted to complete them and ship them to Trey so he can wire them up for me. What I want to do on the next sets was to make the center thicker so the edge of the NL4 connector is flush with the back. This would eliminate fall out as the connector would have to be pulled out straight and not down. They are on snug and with the cables Trey provides, it should be just fine as the weight of cable is on the front side. Now if your talking about the cables that are connected to the backside of the NL4 connector, well then that may be different but a simple fix.
    image_zpsnbrgrxct.jpeg

image_zpsuedjmjkt.jpeg
    Im thinking on putting the connector in this direction as it allows for easier removal. The other way is a bit difficult with the clearance.

image_zps8sq2rznb.jpeg
    Less space for big fingers and I have medium fingers and it can still be difficult to remove cable.
  • F1nut
    Ah yes, I see the problem. With the body of the SpeakOn mounted to the face that is not an issue. Actually, that's the way it was designed to be mounted.

As for the press fit.....my thought is it's going to fall out sooner or later, but what do I know.

They are beautiful and I would be interested in a pair, maybe two.

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,272
    Very nice! And doubly cool to heirloom SDA's
    Which binding posts are those? Cardas?
    Also interested if your source becomes open to orders
    I disabled signatures.
  • nikonik
    Ah yes, I see the problem. With the body of the SpeakOn mounted to the face that is not an issue. Actually, that's the way it was designed to be mounted.

As for the press fit.....my thought is it's going to fall out sooner or later, but what do I know.

They are beautiful and I would be interested in a pair, maybe two.

Thanks Jesse! I'll let you know.
  • nikonik
    msg wrote: »
    Very nice! And doubly cool to heirloom SDA's
    Which binding posts are those? Cardas?
    Also interested if your source becomes open to orders

The kids are 8 n 11 and I hope they are in awe when I show them what will be theirs someday. As soon as I can get more, I'll let you know as well.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Damn man, those are pretty, very classy signature "finishing touch"to the SDA's.

Shame their location is on the back!
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    Pop rivets might work well to hold the speakon.

I'm in for at least one set if they become available. Maybe three.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Very nice work.
  • nikonik
    Many thanks to all of you that like them. I am working on getting the program and looking to find a shop to crank them out as I may be waiting and waiting for him to make them on his spare time. It may take a while just to get the program or get him to make them but I hope to get more made. I think he will be home next week and I plan on working with him to make this happen. Cheers!
  • If your interested and he can't come through on production you can contact me via pm and I'll get you my phone number. I have access to several CNC machines and we can discuss pricing, options etc. if the program is already written, this may something I could start running fairly quick.
  • nikonik
    mopar paul wrote: »
    If your interested and he can't come through on production you can contact me via pm and I'll get you my phone number. I have access to several CNC machines and we can discuss pricing, options etc. if the program is already written, this may something I could start running fairly quick.

I like options. I also contacted a local place here but they also need the program. I will keep you in mind and thanks for offering.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Just when I thought there really weren't any more mods to be done to SDAs... LOL

They are amazing looking.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • nikonik
    polrbehr wrote: »
    Just when I thought there really weren't any more mods to be done to SDAs... LOL

They are amazing looking.

Thank you! I wanted a recessed plate so the connections didn't stick out as far w a flat plate. I hope to get some done so those that want a set, can get a set.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    man those are really sweet looking. I'd be interested too probably.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• nikonik
    I just got these a few days ago from Trey and when I get time, I will begin to swap out some parts along with changing out crossovers. In addition, I inquired on having 10 sets made and this time he would like to have initial cut done by water jetting vs milling it down and then he can set the circle into the machine and watch it cut. The cost per set would be $145 shipped. For some it may a bit much but for others, it's probably fair. I don't want to take on the entire expense after having spent plenty on the initial sets, binding posts, and 2 sets of crossovers. I am ready to put the spending to a rest and so is my wife. If there is enough interests, I can pursue having more made and in the meantime, I will ask for higher quantity discount but I had to start somewhere. The water jetting does add more cost to the plates vs him cutting them out but it's only a few dollars more having them precut from material supplier. When he did my initial plates, I received a better deal as he used left over material, and part of the reason why it took him longer to make but less expensive. He made 1 set from 7075 and the others from 6061. If he makes more, they would be 6061 as 7075 material will cost about 3-4 times the cost of 6061. He also stated there is a set up fee on top of the cost of material. I thought I had paid for the set up from the previous run but that was the programming and the machines have to be set up. The plate on the left is 7075 and the others are 6061. I personally like the 7075 better but cost is too much. If this doesn't go anywhere, it was fun and exciting to share this project with fellow enthusiasts that find Polk Audio speakers to be the One.

image_zpsgbtia2on.jpeg
    image_zpspwsdxnar.jpeg
    image_zpsab3gblap.jpeg
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    Very cool!

I love that you want to pass a set down - a good friend of mine's father did just this for each of his children.

Even though Paul wasn't into audio before, he is now and the respect he has for his gear is huge - he truly treasures it (though it'd be hard not to treasure Martin Logans driven by McIntosh tubes...).

Your kids better have some big houses for these beasts!
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • Those are beautiful. I like those a lot. I like the added touch of the paint in the engravings to make them stand out.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • nikonik
    ledhed wrote: »
    Very cool!

I love that you want to pass a set down - a good friend of mine's father did just this for each of his children.

Even though Paul wasn't into audio before, he is now and the respect he has for his gear is huge - he truly treasures it (though it'd be hard not to treasure Martin Logans driven by McIntosh tubes...).

Your kids better have some big houses for these beasts!

It has been many years since I have heard Mcintosh amps connected to ML speakers. I would drive to Magnolia HiFi in Bellevue, WA and just be in awe at the size of Mcintosh amps and the cable that was coming out of them. It was about 1" thick or more. Very stunning and I was very young with nothing but dreams!