Thinking out loud...

halo
halo Posts: 5,616
A few months ago my Toshiba SATELLITE P840-ST2N01 had an unfortunate incident under some very mysterious circumstances. The bezel around the LED display separated and I heard a crunching sound as I encountered resistance when opening the laptop. Whatever caused this happened when I was not at home. We had guests from out of town staying with us but I cannot pin this on anyone in particular without proof.

It is sitting in the living room now, open, unused. When I pick it up the back (top) cover is just flapping in the breeze on the left side, detached from the LED screen except for a few wires/cables.

I am not super tech savvy but it occurred to me that I can leave it where it is and turn it into a music server. I'd love to back up all of my DVDs and be able to stream / pull up movies on demand and get rid of all the physical DVDs that occupy way too much real estate in the apartment.

I was reading up on some of this stuff and it appears that I'll want a clean install of Windows 7 with not a lot of stuff running in the background? I've had limited experience with Foobar and VLC, I like them both. I also read that I want to slow the CPU down and increase cooling. Not sure how to do either of those things. The Tosh has an i5-3317U with 8GB RAM and a 750GB mechanical hard drive.

I have an iPhone and I'd like to use that as a remote to access my music (and movie?) library.

I have a BEHRINGER U-CONTROL UCA222 USB DAC and I want to connect the "server" to my Denon 2113CI AVR. Since the DENON has built in DACs, do I even need the UCA222? I can run a toslink cable from the UCA222 to the 2113CI or I can run a 3.5 --> stereo RCA to the 2113CI. I was also considering the HiFiMeDIY Sabre USB DAC over the UCA222 but only if it's going to make a substantial difference.

For reference, I've got my SB3 hooked up to the 2113CI with RCA cables now and it sounds really good.

Wondering if the internal DACs on the 2113CI are handling the signals from the SB3 or am I hearing the Boulder Cable Modded SB3?

I have large capacity external HDDs if I need more storage space.

Any thoughts, advice, input, comments, or critiques are welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10

Comments

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    One critique.....you know you can buy replacement screens for laptops?
    I just did mine a couple years ago and it cost me $100. It requires about 4-6 screws, disconnect the old pin connection and insert the new.

I think my GreatAunt could do it......and she passed away 6 years ago at 94! ;)

Since the old screen is KO'd, just open her up. The damage is already done and you can't hurt it any more.

I'll let others comment about your plan.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    The only thing I'll comment on is the dacs in the receiver are only used when a digital connection is used....hdmi/toslink/digital coax. If your hooked up by analog cables, your using the dacs in the source component.

However, by using the analog inputs on the receiver, you still have to set up those inputs to process the signal as much or as little as possible that you may want.

Other more computer savvy guys will chime in on the rest.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • halo
    Thanks for the responses!

The screen, itself, is not broken. The display is fine. The bezel around the screen is no longer attached on the left, bottom left, and most of the bottom portions. The hinge appears to be out of line as I cannot open and close the lid without the bezel popping out right after I pop in the portions that will pop back in, which isn't all of them, I've tried.

Because of this, and the exposed wires / cables, it's no longer portable. It still boots and runs fine, it just doesn't look very good and I don't think it will last very long if I keep moving it around.

5395gge3pjyo.jpg
    syl233e9xh0i.jpg
    9p8edzp4fur3.jpg
    jmljxxzn5jbc.jpg
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
    hankj6n16fr9.jpeg
    8cz1igj4akxq.jpeg
    m3ogw6xqsjty.jpeg
    kywm5d9caz0a.jpeg
    st7h8mdkfu6e.jpeg
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    A-ha!
    Ok.....that's a different animal.
    Then i support your idea of turning it into a stationary laptop...

Now is when the software guru's step in!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • halo
    Yay!!
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited December 2015
    You have to be quite skilled to do that kind of damage. External monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse, USB DAC? And FLAC everything. Done!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • halo
    cnh wrote: »
    You have to be quite skilled to do that kind of damage. External monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse, USB DAC? And FLAC everything. Done!

I can hook the laptop up to the TV for a display. Now I have to choose a USB DAC (maybe the HiFiMeDIY Sabre USB DAC?). Most of my music library is already FLAC :smile:
  • halo
    Looks like I'll be going with Plex as my server software unless someone out there has a better suggestion.

I'll have a removable hdd hooked up to the notebook via USB 3.0.

I'm using the Behringer UCA222 coupled with the DENON's built in Audessey adjustments.

Doesn't sound bad thus far.

I would appreciate suggestions for the best software to backup my DVD collection on to the hdd.

Thanks!
  • D'prived
    D'prived Posts: 191
    MakeMKV does a good job of ripping DVD and Blu-ray discs. Pretty simple to use also. If you want to reduce file size (especially with Blu-ray) I use Handbrake which is free and simple to use also.
  • halo
    Thank you for those suggestions. I only have a handful of Blu-ray Discs in my collection, everything else is DVD.