Polk tweeters help

Options

Hey guys, I am brand new to the audio world. I have a Harley Electra Glide with Hertz High Energy 6.5 in the fairing running off a BT2180 Biketronics amp. This thing pushes 180 watts per channel. It's 2 channel. I'm only running 2 speakers off the front. I just added 2 polk tweeters to the mix also. Someone suggested running them off the back of the radio vs. through the amp. The only problem with that was that you couldn't tell they were hooked up. I mean I could barely hear anything coming out of them, so I spliced them into the ran them in parallel with the 6.5s. Is this a NO-NO? I really have no clue as to what I'm doing. I just don't want to mess anything up. They sound great now, but I think they are only rated for 60 watts. They have some sort of built in crossover on them and I think it's supposed to keep them from getting over powered. I may be wrong. (Told you I didn't know what I was doing).

Any advice would be great!!!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. Do you know the model number of the tweeters?
    Regards, Ken
  • timber0472
    Options
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. Do you know the model number of the tweeters?
    Regards, Ken

Thanks. Yes db1001.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks, the DB1001 comes with a high pass filter set at about 4kHz preventing it from playing much sound below this frequency. Connecting them in parallel with the other speakers seems to be the best approach. If you have a good car audio dealer in your neighborhood they might have some suggestions on blocking the upper frequencies from the 6.5" speakers. If you begin hearing any harshness or brittleness in the way upper frequencies sound lower the playing volume until things sound smooth. Motorcycles are very noisy environments and it takes a lot of amplifying power to just play above the noise threshold which doesn't leave much power for dynamic headroom.
    Enjoy your speakers!
  • timber0472
    Options
    Thanks, the DB1001 comes with a high pass filter set at about 4kHz preventing it from playing much sound below this frequency. Connecting them in parallel with the other speakers seems to be the best approach. If you have a good car audio dealer in your neighborhood they might have some suggestions on blocking the upper frequencies from the 6.5" speakers. If you begin hearing any harshness or brittleness in the way upper frequencies sound lower the playing volume until things sound smooth. Motorcycles are very noisy environments and it takes a lot of amplifying power to just play above the noise threshold which doesn't leave much power for dynamic headroom.
    Enjoy your speakers!

Thanks for the input. I just didn't want to blow anything.