Play-Fi & Plex

I saw on another discussion board for a competing Play-fi product the disappointment from this customer when using the app to stream local media. If I could contact DTS I would and maybe I'll start probing to see if I can but because I have the S2 I'm here. We really need something like Plex to access and play our local stuff. Not only the server but the UI. I may have mentioned here on this forum already that (some) the products are geared for audiophiles with the ability to play lossless and yet there is dismay at ugly DLNA. You know, if the whole wireless thing was limited to mostly compressed streaming services why build a better sounding speaker. Are there plans to enhance the local media streaming portion of the app?

Answers

• Hello,
    I'll forward this to Polk's customer support guys.
    Regards, Ken
  • Here's the response;

"Ken,

There are plans to include “Ultra High-Res” support in our APP in the springtime.

Currently J-River Media player can stream to our wireless speakers.

Cheers, Polk Wireless Team"

Regards, Ken
  • Eug7
    Eug7 Posts: 8
    Ken, they totally missed the point. I can already stream FLAC files. It's the back door DLNA access for local media. There needs to be an app inside the Play-fi app that brings up all the media by metadata with full album art and artist the way the Plex client does. I don't want to look at a list view of songs. See:

https://blog.plex.tv/2015/04/30/plex-music-goes-eleven/

• I'll let them know.
  • Response;

"Ken,
    The media server portion (or how our APP interfaces with a media server) will be improved as time goes on. Also the interface will improve to include more than a list of songs."

• Eug7
    Eug7 Posts: 8
    Relieved. Encouraging news. One thing though, Plex supports Chromecast & Chromecast Audio. As far as I know Plex wants to be ubiquitous i.e. used on as many platforms as possible. Why wouldn't DTS/Polk consider partnering with Plex. There's already a there, there.
  • rpaege
    rpaege Posts: 1
    edited May 2016
    Response;

"Ken,
    The media server portion (or how our APP interfaces with a media server) will be improved as time goes on. Also the interface will improve to include more than a list of songs."

Well, it's now May, 2016 and the best we can get with Polk for iOS (Plex server) are lists of songs, artists and folders, but STILL no playlists. I'm seriously disappointed, especially since there doesn't appear to be ANY alternative.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Oh, there's always an alternative, you just may not want to hear it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Hello,
    I checked with Polk's CS department and received the following:

"I believe playlists in iOS are proprietary and are not supported over a DLNA server….I would suggest the customer contact Kennon or Alex at our customer service department, 1-800-377-7655. They can provide more specifics."

Regards, Ken