My lawnmower threw a rod

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,707
You believe that horse hockey?

I thought it might have been out of oil but judging by the amount that oozed out of places it shouldn't have, it was good on oil.

I called up Briggs and Stratton to find out about warranty coverage since it's just barely 10 years old and I thought it might still be covered. They said that the average residential mower engine warranty is for 20-25 hours a season.

I was flabberghasted. I told them it has a 42" deck and even at a full-tilt boogie, it still takes an hour and a half to cover a full acre with it and I only have about half an acre with a house on it and it still takes an hour 'cause of all the stuff I have to go around like trees and sidewalks and such. Given that and having to mow at least twice a month from April through October (every weekend from April through June) and the pig runs my snow thrower too which will be running for hours during snow storms (i.e.: year round running basically) I'm beyond the yearly allotment for the warranty. So I have to source a new engine and B&S has no info on how one of their newer models will relate to repowering my tractor after this 10 year old V-twin bit the dust.

The funny thing is, the previous owner was a lawn service company. The guy owned a commercial lawn service company that handled HUGE lots. Stuff like corporate office parks and college campuses and such. So he had gigantic mowers. Some of his clients contracted with him to do their private residences as well but his big machines wouldn't fit in backyards. So he had a bunch of residential pieces of equipment to use that would fit through gates and stuff. This tractor I have was one of those pieces. A rough estimate would put this thing running at 15-20 hours a week during the mowing season. So for 3.5 years plus my 400-500 hours since I bought it in 2009, this engine has 2500-3000 hours on it.

According to B&S, this engine has had a service life of 130 years.

I guess it just wore out.

Time to find a new engine, I guess.
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

Comments

• 10 years old and you had the nerve to ask if warranty....lol.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    That sucks. I had a similar experience with mine earlier this year where something blew in the transaxle, and punched a piece of a gear through the case. It's a Craftsman Yard Tractor, which I think is the middle one with the next one up being the "Pro". I did a lot of research at the time and though I was making an educated purchase, though I couldn't tell you what's what anymore.

Imagine my disappointment when it crapped out with less than 60 hours on it. I didn't think for a second it would see major failure at such low use. I take good care of my stuff, too.

Sears' response - 2yr warranty, nothing they could do for me, and would I like the number to my local Sears Repair Center. New transaxle - ~$900. No thanks.

I ended up finding a used transaxle from a guy on Ebay for a fraction of what they wanted for new, and it was a pretty easy swap. The hardest part was figuring out how to safely suspend the mower while working on it. If you're reasonably mechanically inclined, maybe that's an option for you as well.

They don't seem to complicated for parts swaps, and there seems to be a surprisingly busy market for used parts for these things. In my case, the seller bought a tractor with a blown engine, and parted out the rest, which he told me he does regularly as a hobby. You might be able to find a similar situation where the transaxle went, leaving you an affordable engine replacement option? I imagine a lot of people would abandon the mower in such failures.

Next time I might have to buy up a level, or move to something professional. I'm concerned at the cost of these things for their apparent frailty.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Jstas
    10 years old and you had the nerve to ask if warranty....lol.

Yeah, LOL, I know, right?

What the heck is wrong with me?

Oh, maybe it's the "10 year warranty" printed on a sticker on the side of the engine that clued me in to ask about warranty coverage. Purchase date was June of 2005 according to B&S so June of 2015 it expired.

Does it physically hurt to be so myopic and ignorant?

• Jstas
    msg wrote: »
    Sears' response - 2yr warranty, nothing they could do for me, and would I like the number to my local Sears Repair Center. New transaxle - ~$900. No thanks.

Do you have the geared transaxle or the hydrostatic transaxle? Mine is hydrostatic and costs about $850-900 to replace.

But I only paid $750 for the tractor so even if I have to purchase a new engine at $500-$600, I'm still less than half the price of a new tractor. I'm considering buying a spare hydrostatic transmission in case the one I have eats it.

To replace this tractor, new, with the power levels and options it has, I'd be dropping $2500-$2700. So at $750 plus $60 for a replacement fuel tank, $40 for a new tire and now a few hundred for a new engine, I still have like $1500 to go before buying a new one would cost the same as what this has cost me.

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Jstas wrote: »
    To replace this tractor, new, with the power levels and options it has, I'd be dropping $2500-$2700. So at $750 plus $60 for a replacement fuel tank, $40 for a new tire and now a few hundred for a new engine, I still have like $1500 to go before buying a new one would cost the same as what this has cost me.

Don't forget the custom paint job or was that a different mower?

I have an older Cub Cadet mower on it's 2nd B&S motor in 16 years which isn't too bad. The starter is shot and only turns over every other 5 keys turns, the motor dies when i engage the blades, the motor dies while mowing, and it backfires like uncle buck. That's just the motor.....

My plan is scrap the deck and tune it for speeeeeeed! The only real problem is, it has no brakes.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited November 2015

Now you have to call me names, I am embarrassed for you. Should have read your warranty from the manufacturer of the tractor, I bet no where did it mention 10 years.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• Sounds like it may be time for a new machine. Even with a new engine, you may find yourself replacing bearings, starters, pulleys etc.

Look what happened to my side-light yesterday afternoon while finishing my last mowing of the year...Kicked up a piece of mulch and put sent it flying through the house and into the kitchen. Friggin glass everywhere, even found a piece 20 ft away on the kitchen counter. :# I was really lucky my kids were not in the line of fire at that time.5rocchd9daqv.jpg
    m9gdoghmj641.jpg
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    That's why i buy honda engines... they outlast their warranties.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Honda make the best small engine, including 4 cylinder auto in the world. All due to their history and experience developing motorcycle engines.

• Mikey081057
    They cost more but it pays off in reliability/starting and endurance for sure. They give off way less vibration also which tends to contribute to the above.

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Mikey081057
    You could add one of these babies and turn it into a push mower... Great exercise!

41Hee9T5uNL._SX300_.jpg

• Jstas

Now you have to call me names, I am embarrassed for you. Should have read your warranty from the manufacturer of the tractor, I bet no where did it mention 10 years.

Saying that you are myopic and ignorant is not calling you names. It's stating that your behavior is poor. Calling you a big doodoohead would be calling you names.

Also, since I bought the mower used, the manufacturer's warranty does not apply. Sears only backs the mower for 2 years for the original purchaser. They will still sell you any part they have in stock for it, though. But Briggs and Stratton will stand behind an engine regardless of owner or what it is in. Everything is serialized and coded and all of that info is collected by B&S for various reasons. When I called, I provided that info and they provided the warranty info on it.

Why don't you take your ego and go someplace else with it? I'm not as stupid as you seem to believe I am but that doesn't seem to matter as you're continuing to harp on insignificant details of a situation that you do not have all the information on. The warranty terms in regards to my situation are of no concern to the original post since the B&S verified that it was, in fact, out of warranty. the only reason I mentioned the warranty period was because of the "expected use" numbers and the huge amount of run hours this engine has on it in regards to those numbers. You're essentially coming down on me for asking if the warranty was still applicable which is a valid question. I didn't call to actually verify the warranty, I called to see what my repowering options were. The warranty question was just a "hey, saw this sticker, is that true? 'Cause it might still be in the warranty period if it is true."

• Jstas
    Sounds like it may be time for a new machine. Even with a new engine, you may find yourself replacing bearings, starters, pulleys etc.

It's not time for a new machine. That's a waste and as I said, I have to spend over $1500 on a single repair, after the new engine purchase, to make the cost of a new machine of the same size and capabilities worthwhile.

The only bearings I need to worry about are the drive belt pulleys and the transaxle. I can get every pulley on the system from Sears and even if I can't, I can likely find them at McMaster or Fastenal or another industrial supply place. Every other bearing, starter, pulley and what have you is part of the engine which comes assembled, in a crate. Same goes with the transaxle which is, actually, rebuildable and several shops in my area can do the work. The engine is rebuildable too but since the block is damaged, it's not worth it to rebuild. The only thing I might have to worry about is finding an exhaust manifold for the new engine but the dealer should have that too.

Besides, like mrbiron said, I have a custom paint job on it. I also have several attachments for it like a snow thrower attachment and an aerator attachment that might not fit on a newer tractor. So replacing this would be more difficult than it would seem. But to replace this tractor and get one that can handle the other attachments I have, like I said in another post in this thread, it would be $2500+ to get similar capability. My other attachments might not work either and I don't think I would have an easy time unloading them when they fit tractors that are 8-12 years old now.

I'm just going to get a new engine. I can get a B&S which is most likely the easiest to fit for $550-$600. If not that, a Kohler would likely be the next choice as the Hondas that would fit are underpowered compared to what I need, cost 40% more and would be a tight squeeze under my fairing.

• motorhead43026
    edited November 2015
    My behavior is poor? I am bigger than you so I won't call you names.

Btw B&S engine warranty is 2 years for consumer and 1 year for commercial. Also, in no way was my original reply meant to be condescending.

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    That's why i buy honda engines... they outlast their warranties.
    Man, my old Toro push mower through a piston out the side about a year ago. That thing was super old. Since then I've been using a nice high wheel yet used Crasftsman I got on craigslist for cheap. I moved to a new place and bargained in a used Craftsman riding mower. As it turns out that thing is tough to use as its not a zero turn unit. I've been eyeballing Honda zero turn riding and push mowers and snowblowers (I need one!).

Maybe in a couple of years???
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Jstas

Btw B&S engine warranty is 2 years for consumer and 1 year for commercial. Also, in no way was my original reply meant to be condescending.

OK, you go ahead and be bigger than me but you're still on about nothing and getting butthurt over it. Besides, if you have to tell people you're being the bigger person then you're not actually being the bigger person.

Last time I'm saying this. The engine is 10+ years old. It has what B&S considers about 120-130 YEARS worth of use on it. The engine was a TOTL model back when it was a new design, about 12-13 years ago and built specifically for Sears Craftsman. Warranties are 2 years now for most but that's now. Not over a decade ago.

Drop it already unless you have some unyeilding need to be right, here you go: you're right, I'm wrong.

Can you go do something else now instead of dumping on my thread?

This is why we can't have nice things.

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Do you have the geared transaxle or the hydrostatic transaxle? Mine is hydrostatic and costs about $850-900 to replace.

But I only paid $750 for the tractor so even if I have to purchase a new engine at $500-$600, I'm still less than half the price of a new tractor. I'm considering buying a spare hydrostatic transmission in case the one I have eats it.

Hydrostatic, yes. And yes, that's what mine would cost to replace with new. Not sure I'll buy hydrostatic the next time. Options are nice, but I've learned the hard way in this case that cost and brand name are no indication of quality. This is one of those things where I feel like the simpler designs may be more reliable.

sounds like it may be worth repairing. maybe check your options and availability for gently used engines. might be worth it, even if you choose to have someone swap it for you.
    I disabled signatures.
  • @ jstas, you put it out here for all to comment on. You are alright, I am done.

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505

OK, you go ahead and be bigger than me but you're still on about nothing and getting butthurt over it. Besides, if you have to tell people you're being the bigger person then you're not actually being the bigger person.

Last time I'm saying this. The engine is 10+ years old. It has what B&S considers about 120-130 YEARS worth of use on it. The engine was a TOTL model back when it was a new design, about 12-13 years ago and built specifically for Sears Craftsman. Warranties are 2 years now for most but that's now. Not over a decade ago.

Drop it already unless you have some unyeilding need to be right, here you go: you're right, I'm wrong.

Can you go do something else now instead of dumping on my thread?

This is why we can't have nice things.

First pass through on reading his post, I thought he meant he was physically bigger than you.

Then I thought to myself, how does motorhead actually know that?

Then I thought, maybe motorhead is just so big that he can just make assumptions like that. Then I had a picture of this 6'9" dude in my head.

And I was like... dang, he is bigger than any of us.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • motorhead43026
    edited November 2015
    "Bigger than us", sorry Joey you were not included.
    Post edited by motorhead43026 on

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    John, try finding a B&S short block online. Might save you a good chunk of change.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    There are a number of Sears Craftsman mowers in your nape on craigslist. Maybe get a donor for next to nothing? Don't know what you model is, still remembering the paint job...

I know you already have looked here. Just wanna act like a contributing member ;)

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/sss?sort=rel&query=sears+mower
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Sounds like it may be time for a new machine. Even with a new engine, you may find yourself replacing bearings, starters, pulleys etc.

It's not time for a new machine. That's a waste and as I said, I have to spend over $1500 on a single repair, after the new engine purchase, to make the cost of a new machine of the same size and capabilities worthwhile.
    Is that 1500 just for the motor, or am I mis-reading that? You could almost get an S&S crate motor for that. I agree of fixing what you've got, but while it's down, I would try and get more power out of it. Lawnmower racing can be fun!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    John,

Sorry to hear that man, always a pain in the arse when something big goes down. I might agree with the comments on finding a used similar tractor with the same engine for the additional parts also. But then, who knows how long that will last too.

Either way your looking at close to 1k for another engine of that caliber. Might also agree on the hydrostatic comments. If your lot is fairly flat, you can pick up a used tractor for 1k if all you use it for is cutting grass and not blowing/pushing snow. If it last 5 years, dump it and buy another.

I think you already know, quality these days cost big bucks, and fixing quality stuff does too. The alternative is to buy lessor quality and change it out every 5 years. Which is more cost effective for you is your call. I did like those flames you painted on the old girl though, pretty cool.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Jstas
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    John, try finding a B&S short block online. Might save you a good chunk of change.

Short block ain't gonna cut it, dude. Head is cracked. That's where the oil came out of.

• Jstas
    mrbiron wrote: »
    There are a number of Sears Craftsman mowers in your nape on craigslist. Maybe get a donor for next to nothing? Don't know what you model is, still remembering the paint job...

I know you already have looked here. Just wanna act like a contributing member ;)

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/sss?sort=rel&query=sears+mower

Wrong end of NJ. Those are all up north, most are an hour and a half away. Besides, the ones I saw that are like mine are going be $350+ anyway for a used mower and a sketchy engine. Even if I pull the engine, I'm still stuck with the rest of a mower I don't need. I haven't been able to get to a store yet to see what prices I'm looking at, though. Not gonna be able to do that until I come back from Kentucky.

• Jstas

Is that 1500 just for the motor, or am I mis-reading that? You could almost get an S&S crate motor for that. I agree of fixing what you've got, but while it's down, I would try and get more power out of it. Lawnmower racing can be fun!

You're misreading it.

A new mower like mine would cost $2500+.

I have 750 in the mower now plus another hundred bucks on some other repairs. So 850 plus the cost of the new engine has me at just under $1500 for a $2500+ mower.

For it to be cost effective to just bail on this mower and get a new one, I would be looking at a repair cost of $1000-$1500 after the a new engine. That's unlikely.

• Jstas
    tonyb wrote: »
    John,

Sorry to hear that man, always a pain in the arse when something big goes down. I might agree with the comments on finding a used similar tractor with the same engine for the additional parts also. But then, who knows how long that will last too.

Either way your looking at close to 1k for another engine of that caliber. Might also agree on the hydrostatic comments. If your lot is fairly flat, you can pick up a used tractor for 1k if all you use it for is cutting grass and not blowing/pushing snow. If it last 5 years, dump it and buy another.

I think you already know, quality these days cost big bucks, and fixing quality stuff does too. The alternative is to buy lessor quality and change it out every 5 years. Which is more cost effective for you is your call. I did like those flames you painted on the old girl though, pretty cool.

See, I use it in the winter too for moving snow. So I need a beast engine for it. I also have several attachments for it that might not work on a newer tractor. So even if I bought a new tractor that could do what I currently do with this one, I'd probably still need to drop another couple grand on new attachments that I use. It's just not cost effective.

The lawn mowing is one thing. This tractor can move a car if I want it to. It does snow removal as well and tows a few different attachments behind it.

I know it's going to cost a bundle for a new engine but a riding mower that I could get for the same amount as a new engine is just going to be a push mower with a chair. That's not what I'm looking for.

When I got it, I knew it had the potential to have big repair bills. But at the same time, this thing lasted me 6+ years before it bit the dust. There's nothing else wrong with it except the transaxle is just as old. But I'll probably replace that too when it goes bad.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Gotcha man, considering what you use it for then and all the attachments, might be best to hunt up and engine for it then.

Push mower with a chair.....I like it. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

Short block ain't gonna cut it, dude. Head is cracked. That's where the oil came out of.

Bummer. I got a replacement Kohler engine from Jack's Small Engines a few years ago. I happened to find one that they had on clearance with the same crankshaft specs as my original engine. Saved a good amount over what my local parts place wanted. They might be about 1.5 hours or so from you. Try poking around on their website. You might find something. Who knows?