New Speakers!

Options
I started a thread back in September on upgrading away from polk. I am literally exhausted from all the listening I have done in the past few months. I heard a lot I liked, it was a super tough decision. I was able to up my budget a bit, but also spent some money in other areas I felt helped a lot. A new pre, power cables, and power management. I'm really surprised how many high end shops are in Calgary after digging around.

Alright let's get to the good stuff. Speakers! I was repeatedly drawn to focal stuff. A more forward sound without being bright, super detailed, open, just awesome. So I picked up a pair of focal Aria 926. These are beautiful speakers, leather wrapped on the front and back, gorgeous flax cone drivers, glass plates on the top with focal etched into the glass. Paid the premium for the high gloss laqour. The best part is I'm able to trade them in to the dealer in the next year for electras. Which I plan on getting the 1028be. They blew me away. These blow me away as well, The music is so centered in the sweet spot, the sound comes from 10 feet behind the speakers. they are also high sensitivity, and are loving my mono blocks. I can't peel myself away from these babies!
2 channel:
Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
Theater:
Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    I call BS without pics...
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    gwxdovcnsasb.jpeg
    aw5ajyhdl5o6.jpeg
    p3ongt2xyckg.jpeg
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mikeyb128
    Options
    Pictures do not do them justice. The cabinets are not as boxy as they look. They taper from front to back. Magnetic grills. And a nice little spot behind the grill to hold the leveling feet tool. I did buy some speaker spike shoes for the hardwood. 4cm aluminum/graphite discs that I added felt to the bottom. A nice touch. Didn't notice a change in sound. Look great though.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Those are beautiful.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Very nice pal....Focal is one of my favorite brands for obvious reasons, they just sound good. They would look even better with some exotic finishes. Rock on with your bad self.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    They look great...enjoy!
    I have really got the itch to upgrade and photos like these makes it so much worse.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    Dare I say... My 705's haven't been getting as much attention lately. I think these best them. But they are both different sound. It's hard to judge.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Very nice pal....Focal is one of my favorite brands for obvious reasons, they just sound good. They would look even better with some exotic finishes. Rock on with your bad self.

They had them in a walnut finish that looked awesome. But at over 3000$ a pair they used vinyl and not a wood veneer. Which I thought was sort of cheesy. That's the reason I payed a little extra for the gloss black. If they had a real wood veneer I would have picked the walnut finish hands down. And the grain went front to back instead of top to bottom. Very unique.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    Those do look nice, always wanted to have some sort of Focals in my
    collection..
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    You have no idea how many times I almost pulled the trigger on the 836V. Nice pickup!!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    Rick88 wrote: »
    Congrats on the beautiful new speakers!

I own or have owned the 706V2, 806V, 836V, and 807W, and I am a huge fan of the Focal sound. The "W" cone woofer in the W Series is something special to my ears, and the Carmin Red finish is S E X Y as hell. Rock on brother!!

I had an eye on some 826w locally. They are 25th anniversary edition with w cones. They guy was super flakey, and I'm sure he wasn't sure he wanted to part with them. The arias drivers have been revised from top to bottom. Uses the same tweeter design from the Electra except the berillium part. The tweeter sure is sweet! And man can these things handle some volume. I'm more than impressed.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Mikey those definitely have the WoW factor. Glad you took the time to figure it out, make a huge difference with patience. Nice to have an upgrade program too

Congrats
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oh yeah. I love me some Focal. How are you liking the flax drivers?

halen
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    halen wrote: »
    Oh yeah. I love me some Focal. How are you liking the flax drivers?

halen

Really like them. And they are really nice to look at as well lol. The only thing I had to compare them with were "w" drivers from the electras. But these are sounding sweet. Some tracks you can hear the echo in the studio, like you are there. Only complaint are the grills are a little fugly. But they are super light and the magnets hold them on tight.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Dare I say... My 705's haven't been getting as much attention lately. I think these best them. But they are both different sound. It's hard to judge.

awwwww that's ok...I'll be by next week to pick them up! lol :smiley:

Lol I payed an arm and a leg for those up here! They will stay and slum it in the theater :wink:
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    Looking good
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »

awwwww that's ok...I'll be by next week to pick them up! lol :smiley:

Lol I payed an arm and a leg for those up here! They will stay and slum it in the theater :wink:

When you get more time on them I am curious to hear your thoughts of the differences in sound between these and the W cone woofer.

Also, what is the turntable in your pictures? It looks like the recently released Teac model?

Good eye! It's a teac tn300. Really like it so far. Using the on board phono stage, and after the new focals, I've noticed it is sounding a little flat. I also have to crank the volume to get decent output. Looking into a seperate phono stage for it.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Great choice on the speakers.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    @mikeyb128,

Beautiful speakers!

Well done!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• mikeyb128
    Options
    Thank you everyone for compliments. I can tell you being patient is hard when you don't have any.

Spent some time with the 705's this evening and dam they sound good too. I've caught the 2 channel bug. It's a very itchy bug.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    Options
    What are those amps you are running, looks like B&K? Are you running both as monoblocks?

They are B&K reference s2 mono blocks :smile:
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    Options
    The combo is working really well. The mono blocks don't even break a sweat, the volume level barely goes to half and these speakers are singing! I'm really digging it. I have a friend that lives a few blocks away that is always popping buy with beer for a listen now lol
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Congrats on the flax cones. I listen to the 948's at the AXPONA show for not very long...with other systems there priced for the wealthy. I left wanting a set of someday affordable 948's! Not in the budget yet but I would love to own a set in the future. Man did they have them dialed in!
    P1040413.jpg
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2133733#Comment_2133733
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,164
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Love em...they look to be well built!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • rottikid
    Options
    Nice choice a friend has the same speakers sound really good
  • Joey_V
    Options
    my local audio friend has the 948... pretty good speakers. He ended up with the 1038be which were of the same cloth.

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    my local audio friend has the 948... pretty good speakers. He ended up with the 1038be which were of the same cloth.

I was at my local dealer checking out the electras and sopras. They have an open box pair of 1038be for about 3000 off msrp. He will also take back my aria's... Man I can't sleep now. Might have to pull the trigger on these. But couldn't be worse timing with Xmas coming and 2 weeks of holidays. Ugh...!!!
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Joey_V
    Options
    If you're asking me, I would go with the 1038be and not look back.

You kinda knew stepping into the dealer that this would happen... hahahhaa

But yeah, the 1038be are better than the 948, if you're looking for confirmation of that.. I will confirm for you. hahaha

Get it Mikey
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    If you're asking me, I would go with the 1038be and not look back.

You kinda knew stepping into the dealer that this would happen... hahahhaa

But yeah, the 1038be are better than the 948, if you're looking for confirmation of that.. I will confirm for you. hahaha

Get it Mikey

you're not helping! Lol! The arias are an awesome speaker though. My girl friend might kill me if I come home with them. She thinks it's insane to spend 7,000$ on speakers. She said Apple Music was too expensive... It's 10$ a month.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Joey_V
    Options
    We are enablers of the worst kind