Ampex 351-2 restoration project

124»

Comments

• That measurement was taken with the power supply in-circuit, full load.
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 8,653
    Cool, just was wondering...keep us posted

TFS
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures, Simaudio 780D DAC
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Modwright LS100, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers
  • KennethSwaugerKennethSwauger Moderator Posts: 6,128
    Let me make sure I'm correct. The previously measured 0.7 volt drop was actually across a 2.54 ohm resistor not a 1.5 ohm resistor, correct?
    "Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available", G. Benfield
  • I measured the 12.87 VDC with the power supply connected to the circuit so I don't think it would drop -- but let me know if I am missing something.
    thanks!
    A few posts ago you measured a DC voltage drop of 0.7 volts on either side of 3R-60 that you assumed was 1.5 ohms. But once you pulled 3R-60 from the board you measured at as 2.54 ohms meaning that the actual voltage reduction was across a 2.54 ohm resistor instead of an assumed 1.5 ohm resistor. That means a different amount of current is flowing through the circuit.
    "Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available", G. Benfield
  • Yes, Ken, your previous statement is correct. Should I again measure the current flowing through the circuit? BTW: this is all with the original power supply board in-circuit. I have yet to install the new power supply board...so I am wondering if other components on the original power supply board were also out of spec(?).
    thank you both!
    Yes, now that you know the actual value of 3R-60 put it back in the circuit, turn it on and let it stabilize for a few minutes and place your DC meter on each of the resistor's leads. Measuring what the voltage drop is across the resistor. Then take that voltage and divide it by the resistor's value. Now we will know the amount of current flowing in that circuit.
  • Thanks Ken I will do so, and report back!
124»