Adele's new album

Options
Hello all and good evening to you. This thread was created to talk about Adele's new album, 25. Her first hit to come out is comparable to the work she did on 21. If ever there was a chance for talent to shine, 21 was it.

With that said, I do believe that album ranks on the bottom 5 albums I have for the absolute WORST sound quality. It's so bad that ever since I got it, the album *may* have been in my reference rig two times and I can guaranty you that both times, it wasn't played in it's entirety. That is a shame because that woman has a voice that the music industry should put up on a platform and showcase with the utmost of sound quality.

Seeing as how the mastering and recording engineers have won multiple awards on how 21 was recorded, I am not to optimistic of the sound quality of this latest album from Adele.

Anybody have any news to get the hopes up of Adele and higher fidelity fans alike?

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I hope she was well informed of the reports of how bad 21 was really recorded. I was truly embarrassed as 21 was the big thing when I brought home my Ushers and Pass amp. I put 21 on to impress my wife,(she's a big fan) who could careless of my HiFi hobby and it sounded so bad she left the room.

So if any one is to be the guinea pig please post results...she does have a wonderful voice but her recordings are cr*p so far.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    The wife has already pre-ordered one from Amazon......we shall see. If it is even "decent", I'll order the MF LP. If not, it's just another disc collecting dust unless we are in one of the vehicles. I think she said that it will be delivered the 21st of this month.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    Options
    From what I have heard so far, there is "hope" for better sound but until I get it on the reference rig? No telling. It's all guesswork up until then.

Tom
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Also hoping the entire LP is not a depressive stint of her disgruntled relationships

keeps us posted
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    Options
    I had high hopes
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • treitz3
    Options
    You get a hold of an early release Joey?

Tom
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    Modern music- sounds good on an ipod with cheap earbuds.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    I am a DJ on the weekends. I subscribe to a service for music called Prime cuts so I get the top 40 Rock, Country, Urban, AC and whatever else as long as it hits the top 40. Hello came on my 10-30 cd. I have not played it through my main system but at work, I do listen to the cd's to get familiar with the what's out there and what's questionable for a school gig. Through some old Sony MDR headphones and a **** out 1000, the piano doesn't bad but the rest has a distortion to it and compressed. It could be just the song. The distortion is the same kind of distorted sound that Imagine Dragons has. I like Imagine Dragons music but, on my main rig Demons is unlistenable. Actually a lot of the Night Vision cd is unlistenable except for the car.

This might sound crazy but the songs after Hello are country songs called Drunk on your Love from Brett Eldredge and Nobody to Blame from Chris Stapleton it's much clearer. Actually a lot of the country seems to have a better sound quality in general lately.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Idgit. (me)

Tom
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Idgit. (me)

Tom

Don't worry had the wife order it....so it's her fault

• Inspector 24
    Options
    100% agree, 21 sounded less than horrible...it got played once...ONCE...and neither the wife or I could tolerate listening to an entire song. We just kept skipping one song to the next expecting something to sound at least not crappy...it didn't happen.

No exaggeration when I say I've heard music videos from the 80's streamed through YouTube that sounded better.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Live from Royal Albert Hall sounds much better. I bought the dvd for 8 bucks I think mainly for the bonus cd. Gets far more play in my house than 21.

On a side note, this discussion actually makes me glad I have never been exposed to the kind of gear a lot of y'all have. I have excellent hearing (recently tested), am a life long musician that plays multiple instruments, and my wife is a classically trained vocalist and piano teacher (and both her parents are life long music teachers). BUT we can both listen to 21 and not cringe, rather we still enjoy it. Can I tell its really compressed? Yes. Can I tell that the live album sounds much better? Yes. But is the album still chalked full of great songs? Absolutely. Many of my favorite indie albums from the 90s are horrible recordings, but I love the songs, so I still listen. Anyway, just interesting that's all...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Live from Royal Albert Hall sounds much better. I bought the dvd for 8 bucks I think mainly for the bonus cd....

Agree the Live album is much more listenable than 21. You can tell she's talented, just needs to fire her production side folks and get some with both ears used as tools.

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • rooftop59
    Options
    I will also point out that "21" sold 31 million copies worldwide. Clearly no one gives a
    o8ajbw2dvp3t.jpg
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • treitz3
    Options
    Well, rooftop. I do.

The album just hit. Once again, I am let down. This one seems to be a tad bit better but not by much.

Very disappointed. Very, very disappointed.

Tom
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Well, rooftop. I do.

The album just hit. Once again, I am let down. This one seems to be a tad bit better but not by much.

Tom

Well that sucks to hear that it isn't better produced. But I will still listen. Her songs are great and her voice is great, and the musicians and arrangements are generally very good.

Tom do you not listen to any albums that are poorly produced? For me, that would eliminate some of my favorite albums from college and my 20s. YMMV...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Well, rooftop. I do.

Tom
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Idgit. (me)

Tom

Wife order it....so it's her fault

• treitz3
    Options
    Hello, Rooftop59. I am not one of those snub-nosed audiophiles that refuses to listen to great music because of poor sound quality. While it does affect my choices when I go to listen sometimes, music is the bliss. Always is, always has been and always will be.

With that said, I happen to have a system that brings out the best of what music has to offer. I don't have to put up with just "listening". The system I have has the ability to truly "experience" the music. This is what I am personally accustomed too and anything substandard becomes a detriment to my enjoyment.

Adele's albums have the potential to be so much more than a moving experience. Her music is powerful, empowering and if ever there was a chance for beauty, she is it. The thing is, the sound quality is so daggum bad that I reserve listening to her in a vehicle traveling at 60 mph with the windows rolled down.

That should NEVER be the case with such talent. Ever.

Tom
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    That's very disappointing to hear the recording quality is so poor. When is the industry going to learn. I guess I won't be buying this release and I do like Adele. Probably try and pick it up in the used bin since I do still want to hear it.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited November 2015
    Options
    21 was "brickwalled" (badly clipped) so I'm not surprised. Her voice grates on me; I know, I suck. Bev likes her, so I bought the CD.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    I use some of the poor recordings in the car since the stereo is stock. This one I will grab from the library rip. Ones of better quality I purchase.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Modern music- sounds good on an ipod with cheap earbuds.

and that's why they can sell millions of copies. Disappointing to hear, especially after the complaints of the last albums SQ.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Maybe I should buy that cute little "Hello Kitty" boom box? To each his own, I know people with pretty decent systems and they buy just mp3s
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Maybe I should buy that cute little "Hello Kitty" boom box? To each his own, I know people with pretty decent systems and they buy just mp3s

Then it is your sole duty as a club Polk member to kindly slap them upside the head.....and run.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Options
    I ordered mine will have a listen on Tuesday.
    There is also a Japanese edition on Amazon any differences?

Cheers

http://www.amazon.com/25-Japanese-ADELE/dp/B0170HGUI6/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1448057328&sr=1-5&keywords=adele
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Irrenhaus wrote: »

Cheers

http://www.amazon.com/25-Japanese-ADELE/dp/B0170HGUI6/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1448057328&sr=1-5&keywords=adele

CD japan states 3 exclusive bonus tracks...HMMMM

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/feature/adele_japanbonus_20151027

• Irrenhaus
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Irrenhaus wrote: »

Cheers

CD japan states 3 exclusive bonus tracks...HMMMM

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/feature/adele_japanbonus_20151027

I see. But now looking at the version for Target also have the 3 bonus tracks.

http://www.target.com/p/adele-25-target-exclusive/-/A-50281802

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    FYI...Adele is performing her new album live right now on I heart radio.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Irrenhaus
    Options
    So got a listen tonight. Not in detail as I was cleaning the fish tank. Not bad. It was the mp3 from Amazon forgot I can download after buying th cd.

Cheers
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    Options
    Sad to hear this but I know I will still pick it up..